RV Generator Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sawbob

I just bought 2-2250 Wen generators that I plan to run in parallel.
Last night the wife asked if we were going to carry them on the rack on the back of the trailer, I said no, probably the truck bed.
Then I got to thinking that I have a toolbox from my old truck that could bolt down to the rack and have them in there,...possibly even run them in the box.
Here's what I came up with. Cut a hole in one end and put a louvered vent in for air intake. On the other end attach a quick disconnect dryer hose adapter.
The generators have USB ports, so I was thinking about using 2 fans for cooling computers and mounting one for the intake, and one for the exhaust. the fans would push about 26CFMs each.
I would use a flexible dryer hose for the exhaust to keep it away from the trailer.
Has anyone done something like this? Pros and Cons? Thanks

I have 1,080 watt (24 volt 45 amp) DC genset in a box under my rig that's gas powered.  I removed the muffler so I could extend the exhaust with a flexible pipe and mounted the muffler to the out side of the box.  At first I had a 100 CFM fan and I had heat issues once I replaced it with a 200 CFM fan I no longer had any heat issues.

I would think you need 200 CFM for each one on hot days.  If you max out there ratings i would think you need more CFM.

I just looked and I could fit a 650cfm fan in there. it would draw about 115 watts and I would think just one fan at the intake side would be enough for cooling both, and pushing the exhaust out.

Personally I think you are underestimating the cooling and ventilation needs, especially for 2 generators.

If there is a 110v outlet I would be thinking lots of louvers at one end, and maybe the top, and a 110V "box" fan exhaust of maybe 12 X 12. Louvered intake area generally needs to be larger than the exhaust outlet area. You don't want to "choke" your exhaust fan.

Look at the fan on the A/C compressor outside your house. If I am reading your spec right you are planning over 4,000W of generator?

I though I was improving on what this guy is doing.
www.rvgeneratorbox.com

Sawbob said:
www.rvgeneratorbox.com

I bet the generators are run with the door open.

How will you keep the exhaust from getting in the intake? Portable generators are not designed to run in an enclosure.

Sawbob said:
www.rvgeneratorbox.com

Here is a link where they run them in the box with the door shut.  There is a 6" to 8" hole in each side.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=220&v=3zCmg1YtVPA&feature=emb_logo  He says they don't use fans in there.  It looks like the he exhaust helps to create a vortex to help create air flow.

I'm not sure how 100*f+ when running them hard would affect there electronics.  All the small gensets like that are inverter biased.  I do own one, but only use it a few hours a year.  I'm not sure how they would hold up long term. 

I have a Honda EU3K that I tried running in an enclosed aluminum box that was custom made.  It ran for a few minutes then died.  Took the cover off and it ran fine.  So my experience is that running a generator in an enclosed box didn't work for me.

I had a pickup truck with a hinged fiberglass topper. If it rained, I left the tailgate open with the topper locked down, and the Honda generator was just tall enough that the back edge of the topper prevented the generator from being slid out. It was protected from rain, yet had ventilation. If desired, I could leave the topper up and the tailgate closed so what sound it made went upward more so than outward. This also was beneficial in that the generator was not permanently mounted so I could use it at home during a power failure. Having a permanently mounty generator on the RV frame can also transmit vibration and sound into the trailer (depending on the mounting  method), not to mention dealing with carbon monoxide concerns.

Back
Top Bottom