RV-ing from New York to Miami with babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosha

Hello,

The idea of RV-ing accross the country sounds very good to us, especially with 2 kids (having everything you need at hand). We are a family of 4 (we have 2 babies, boy is 3 years and girl is 2 years). We are planning to take an RV trip in September 2013 (16 nights total).

We live in Curacao (Netherlands Antilles). We will be traveling from Curacao to New York. We will stay in New York for 3 nights and then our RV trip will start. Since we have to fly back home from Miami, we thought RV-ing from New York to Miami. The idea is to stop along the big cities and attractions (in the cities) for the kids and also enjoy the nature. Since we have 2 toddlers, we are thinking of staying 2 day's at each stop. We'd like to drive maximum for 4 hours from one place to another...

What stops do you recommend within this route? It would be nice to know what the must sees are in this route and helpful tips. Where to park (where not) and how to drive (which route to take).
Best Camp grounds, just to spent the nights where the RV can be parked (within this route and stops/attractions for kids Any idea on average fees of the camp grounds?

Other questions that we have are:
- Can you park a RV anywhere?
- Can you park a RV at supermarkets?
- If we only need to park the RV just to get some sleep, do we still need to go to a camp ground? Since we are not really using any facilities of the camp grounds...

When I look at google maps, I'm like...oh it would be nice to do the following stops:
NY (3 nights at hotel) --> Washington --> Norfolk--> Durham -->Charlotte or Charleston --> Atlanta --> Savannah --> Jacksonville --> Tampa --> Orlando --> end at Miami airport (2 nights at hotel).
To make these stops, we have 12 nights... is this enough? do we need 2 days at a stop or is it easily done in one day? I have no idea, we haven't been to these places (well, we've been to miami, orlando and tampa). the idea is to enjoy some of the city sightseeing and some kids attractions at a stop... early evening, drive to the next stop.... is it doable in 12 nights?

Can we drive with an RV on this route?
We have no idea on where to start, so any advice, tips is appreciated.

Thank  you!
Rosha.

Rosha said:
Other questions that we have are:
- Can you park a RV anywhere?
No, RVs don't fit everywhere. You can only park in places that you can easily get out of and there are no restrictions for you parking there.
- Can you park a RV at supermarkets?
Generally yes if the parking lot is large enough. I prefer to park in Walmart parking lots. They are gigantic and easy to negotiate.
- If we only need to park the RV just to get some sleep, do we still need to go to a camp ground? Since we are not really using any facilities of the camp grounds...
No, you can camp for free overnight in most Walmart parking lots.

http://www.overnightrvparking.com/

This is a subscription web site that has about 10,000 places you can camp overnight for free in the US. You can find free parking just about anyplace you go. $25 a year.
When I look at google maps, I'm like...oh it would be nice to do the following stops:
NY (3 nights at hotel) --> Washington --> Norfolk--> Durham -->Charlotte or Charleston --> Atlanta --> Savannah --> Jacksonville --> Tampa --> Orlando --> end at Miami airport (2 nights at hotel).
To make these stops, we have 12 nights... is this enough? do we need 2 days at a stop or is it easily done in one day? ... is it doable in 12 nights?
Doable but not enjoyable. Too many places. I just spent 2 weeks at Disney World and that wasn't enough. You could spend a week at most any of these places. I would recommend focusing on just a few. Washington, Charleston, and Orlando would be the best of your list IMHO. I spent 10 days on the Washington Mall at the Smithsonian Museums and that was not enough time. Pick the best and spend a few days at each one. You will enjoy the trip so much more.
Can we drive with an RV on this route?
You can drive an RV on just about any road you can see on a map in the US. We have 18 wheel semi trucks going on most of these road and if they fit, you fit.

BTW- I have been to Curacoa in the 80s when I spend a week in Bonaire diving. You have a lovely country. Right now I have a good friend that was born in Curacoa. I hope you enjoy your trip here in the US.

In September the temperatures may still be quite warm as you travel south to Miami. If it is warm and humid you will  find it much more comfortable to be in an RV park with electrical hookups at night to run your air conditioner.

We traveled in an RV extensively with kids aged 1 and 3. It is a great way to travel with naps, food and open playgrounds nearby. We used to choose spots in the afternoon that one of us could enjoy while the other oversaw naps. A couple of hours away from the kids in an outlook mall was a great way to recharge my wife. :)

Wow, guys, thank you you so much for the information!! Really appreciate it! :D

@Jeff: a friend of ours did a RV trip and he mentioned that campgrounds can cost up to $50-$75 per night... for me that's allot of money just to use some electricity... any idea what the average price is for campgrounds in our route?

@SeilerBird: Really really appreciate the extensive explanation! Thank you so much! We will definitely pick our favorite places and stay for a longer time.

Again, thanks! if you have any additional information we could use (sight seeing, kids, parks to visit etc. in this route) please share.

Best regards,
Rosha

You should join Passport America. It is $44 for a year and they have about 2000 parks that will then let you stay a night or two for half price. Paying $75 a night is not going to happen. I drove across country in January with PA. I made four stops. They cost me $10, $10, $13, and $17.50. Total of $50.50. Paid for my subscription. All full hookups. Typically RV parks cost $20 to $40 per night, with PA they are typically $10 to $20 a night. PA is legitimate and well worth the money. You can use their site to plan your stops. I also use RV Park Reviews to find out what other people think of any park I plan on staying in.

https://www.passportamerica.com/

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Rosha,

Here are some links to free websites that list low cost and free campgrounds: Free Campgrounds, Free Campsites, Ultimate Public Campground Project.

You definitely won't be able to see everything in such a short time. Since you will only have the RV to get around in, you may find the cities with shuttle services more convenient. Charleston has a free downtown shuttle service. There are several trolley tour companies in Savannah. I know that the Old Town Trolley stops at the visitor center where there is large vehicle parking and also will pick folks up at some of the campgrounds. You did not mention Saint Augustine, FL in your list; however, it is another location with trolley service at least one of which picks up from some of the local campgrounds.

Hope you have a great visit to our country!!!

I lived in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale for 20 years before moving to Knoxville, TN (I didn't see that on your list..LOL)

But seriously, do not skimp out on Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area.  It is absolutely beautiful there.  If it was not for high taxes, homeowners insurance that was out of the roof, and property taxes that cost more a month then a Ferrari payment we would have stayed.  But it is a beautiful place to visit!

As other posters have said (and do not feel bad, I had the same problem for my trip out west) you have way to ambitious of an itinerary.  I was smart and listened to the wise advice on this site and think I have a great itinerary now.  I just was not familiar with anything more west then Nashville.  But the East Coast I know very well.

(If it was me) I would do everything that "Trailer Traveler" posted except I would want to go maybe to the west a bit after leaving Charleston so I could get to Atlanta over Savannah.  It also would give you a great excuse to drive threw the Smokey Mountains.  On my way down from Atlanta I would try and hit Orlando as your kids would LOVE going to Disney World (Magic Kingdom) or Universal Studios. 

Does the 16 nights INCLUDE Miami and NY Nights or is that time set aside for just RV'ing?

PS - Remember one thing about staying at parking lots- There purpose is not to camp but is really intended for people who just cant make it another mile and need a place to crash for the night.  I am a Police Officer for my city and one thing I can tell you really gets the stores upset is when RV'rs come in that are traveling and make base camp.  Walmart is awesome for allowing RV'rs to rest for the night.  Where you loose them (and law enforcement) is when people pull in and let out their slides and start cooking from their portable grill in the parking lot.  Most places kind of want you gone at dawn so they have room for paying customers.  Also, pure etiquette dictates that if you are going to use their place to rest for the night to go inside and patronage their business in some fashion.  Also, generator use is usually a no-no. 

Rosha,

Since you are traveling with your young children a must stop would have to be Sesame Place in Langhorne, PA. It is an amusement/water park desighed for the 1 to 10 age group. Early September is usually still warm enough to enjoy all the water activities there It is about 2 hours from NYC. Stopping there early in your travels will also let the kids have fun and tire them out in the beginning of your trip and make it much more enjoyable for all since they will see your journey as fun and not just time trapped in a RV.

The idea of RVing with children is great because you have what they need when they need it.  On the other hand, the problem with traveling with younger children such as yours is that what amuses you doesn't usually amuse them.  I personally love the Smithsonian Museums in Washington and you probably would too, but I think your children would be bored silly.  If they were older it would be different, but for them Sesame Place and Disneyworld are good because they're aimed at younger kids.  Legoland in Winter Haven, Florida is another child-oriented attraction.  Also, at night you need to find places where the children can run around and get rid of some energy (should I say while you parents collapse??).  Many campgrounds have playgrounds for their young visitors.  Some of the campground chains, such as KOA and Jellystone, cater to families but they also tend to be more expensive.

ArdraF

Wow!  What a great adventure :)  I live in Florida and we are planning the reverse trip next month...Florida to Maine.  I've been checking routes and info...especially in the DC and NYC areas...YIKES! Looks like that area will be a nightmare in an RV...anyone? correct me if I'm wrong.  So we are hoping to find alternate routes around both.  Would definitely recommend the Smithsonian in Washington IF you do go there or close.  Your kids should be young enough to allow you to stroller them and still enjoy.  It is awesome.  Also, I concur with a previous poster about St. Augustine....perhaps rather than Jax (lived there for 25 years and it is not special).  Myrtle Beach has a great boardwalk area.  Passport America is a GOOD DEAL.  Also check out state and county parks.  Be safe and enjoy!

I have to assume the 16 days include the stay in NYC.  Where are you picking up the motor Home?  Doing the math you will just have enough time driving 4-5 hours a day to get to MIA. 

Rest stops and parking lots are not going to work with the children. Pay the extra bucks to use the pools and play grounds.  The first day you can make it too DCA depending on where you pick up the MH, and how long you spend going over the rig.  You can spend a day in DCA not user friendly for children.

There is not much to see along 95 but if you spend a few days on the skyline drive you can get to Florida via 81 40 and back onto 95.

I think you are planning a very aggressive trip, and as someone said you should think about making a run to Florida MIA and (if you have enough time visit the Everglades.)  You never said where you are going to drop off the Motor Home.

NYC - MIA is about 2500 miles or 4024 kilometers. Longer via Skyline Drive

As retired "old" folks we spent a week getting from Phoenix to Lake Tahoe but I can remember many a trip from Illinois to Florida that was 9 days long and gave us 5 1/2 days in Florida. ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rbritt
Back
Top Bottom