RV Insurance for Full-Timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tulecreeper

Not medical insurance, coverage for your RV...like home owners insurance, but for a trailer. I spoke with my State Farm agent yesterday, and she said it's a state-by-state thing. We're currently in AR and State Farm will not cover you if you live full-time in your RV in this state, but sometime in the coming year we're selling our home/property here and heading to AZ where we're going to be full-timing it. As in, no home base.
Anybody know if State Farm covers you there, or another reputable insurance company that will? Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
Explorer Insurance Agency
Miller Insurance Agency
RV Advantage Insurance Agency
AIS RV Insurance Agency
Thum Insurance Agency
Foremost Insurance
You will still need to have a declared domicile somewhere with an address that is acceptable to the DMV in order to keep your drivers license, vehicle registration, insurance of any type and a lot of other purposes. If you don't understand the issue of domicile, they I suggest that you read this before you start.

The Issue of Domicile

Yes, I'm aware of that. That's another question for another post. Thanks for the links!

I am full time in my RV and my domicile is my kid's house here in Arkansas. I have my motor home insured through Farm Bureau. They don't care that I'm full time in the RV. I spend maybe 3 months a year in Arkansas and the rest in either Cali or Arizona.

I am full time in my RV and my domicile is my kid's house here in Arkansas. I have my motor home insured through Farm Bureau. They don't care that I'm full time in the RV. I spend maybe 3 months a year in Arkansas and the rest in either Cali or Arizona.
We currently live in AR, too, about 40 minutes south of Ft Smith. We're going to be selling our house and property here and putting down permanent stakes in AZ and we're going to want a domicile and mailing address in that state. I've read that a lot of fulltimers use TX, SD, or FL for the tax savings, but that isn't a consideration for us. There are no relatives here that we are leaving behind so keeping a domicile here isn't an option anyway.

Anybody know if State Farm covers you there, or another reputable insurance company that will?
There are only a few insurance companies that cover fulltimers, and from what I understand State Farm is not one of them.

When you get a quote, look for a line item for "fulltimer's personal liability." (Mine is $89/year.) If your quote doesn't have that, then it's not a true fulltimer's policy. (This personal liability is the same as the personal liability in a homeowner's policy, like if somebody trips on your step.)

They don't care that I'm full time in the RV.
They may not care, but do they include the fulltimer's personal liability coverage? I once got a quote from Geico for a fulltimer's policy and when I noticed it didn't have the personal liability coverage, they told me they didn't offer it. So I asked why they said it was a fulltimer policy, and was told it's written for using the RV 365 days a year and covers my personal effects, so it's a fulltimer policy.

My understanding is that Geico does now offer true fulltimer policies, but no matter who you buy from, verify that the policy includes fulltimer's personal liability before signing up.

Thank you for that bit of info. I'll make sure I discuss that with whomever I talk to.

One of the reasons to speak with a company from those links is the fact that they are all experienced in dealing with fulltimer coverages. Just because a policy has no limits on the amount of time spent in the RV, as most do, doesn't mean that it will cover the issues which are typically covered by a homeowner's policy or a renter's policy. The reason that RV insurance is far less expensive than homeowner's is because it has far less coverage. The agents at the places that I listed links to know and understand what you need if you live in the RV and will help you to make sure that you have needed insurance. The guy who sells other insurance probably doesn't know what is needed but he does know that he will only get paid if you sells you something.

One of the reasons to speak with a company from those links is the fact that they are all experienced in dealing with fulltimer coverages. Just because a policy has no limits on the amount of time spent in the RV, as most do, doesn't mean that it will cover the issues which are typically covered by a homeowner's policy or a renter's policy. The reason that RV insurance is far less expensive than homeowner's is because it has far less coverage. The agents at the places that I listed links to know and understand what you need if you live in the RV and will help you to make sure that you have needed insurance. The guy who sells other insurance probably doesn't know what is needed but he does know that he will only get paid if you sells you something.
Yes sir, I'm keeping the links you posted.

Back
Top Bottom