RV living at LAX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even $60/month wouldnt make up for the noise for me. But it sure would be an option for a place to stay while you sightsee the LA area.

Wendy

I wouldn't last a day in that noise. It would probably be enough for me to move to Wal*Mart  :eek:

With a 2 year old and a 3 month old, I have become quite comfortable sleeping with 33dB noise suppressor foam ear plugs. ;D

With a 2 year old and a 3 month old, I have become quite comfortable sleeping with 33dB noise suppressor foam ear plugs.

Having been around kids and grandkids for many years (our oldest grandson is 33 and the youngest isn't yet 1), I understand. However, having spent a number of years working at a steel plant, my ears really have a problem with extraneous noise. I refuse to sit in a noisy restaurant, and loud music makes me so deaf that I'll fall asleep. Aircraft noise overhead is not something I'd wish on anyone. One of the kids lives under the flight path for Cincinnati airport, and I hate that overhead noise when we visit. Can't imagine living in that environment.

We live under the flight path for the Cortez airport - fortunately, there are only 3 flights a day out and 3 flights and the outgoing ones are high enough that we don't hear them (you have to get high fast in Colorado to clear those pesky mountains). Actually, I kind of like telling the time by the plane overhead. Oh, yeah, it's not a jet, it's a 19-seat plane.

Wendy
Cortez CO

With the recent westerly winds, we've had the Thunderbirds taking off several times a day right over us as they are performing at an air show over the Milwaukee harbor.  Almost as loud is the flight of aerobatic AT-6s that are also here plus the drop plane for the Golden Knights, also in the show.  I much prefer the sound of the AT-6 over the jet :)

Ned said:
With the recent westerly winds, we've had the Thunderbirds taking off several times a day right over us as they are performing at an air show over the Milwaukee harbor.  Almost as loud is the flight of aerobatic AT-6s that are also here plus the drop plane for the Golden Knights, also in the show.  I much prefer the sound of the AT-6 over the jet :)

I had a chance to watch a battery of f-18A and A-10s take off at Boise Air Terminal last month.  I was amazed by just how loud the f-18 w/afterburner was relative to the turbofan A-10 and commercial airliners.  A 737 sounds like a lawnmower compared to the F-18!

Yep, those Hornets are really loud.  I prefer the sound of the old P&W rotaries :)

I had the occasion to stay at a place called Danang for a couple of days (back in '66) - you wouldn't have believed the sound from F4C Phantoms taking off with the afterburners lit.  Unreal.

Ned said:
Yep, those Hornets are really loud.  I prefer the sound of the old P&W rotaries :)

I would say the only thing I have every heard that was louder than that was an un-shrouded GE Frame 7 Model FB gas-turbine on a testing rig.  This is a power generating natural gas-fired combustion turbine.  These units are about 15 feet in diameter and 170MW (that's 228,000 horsepower) each.

I had 25 db attenuators over top of 33 db foam ear plugs and still got nauseous after about 5 minutes.  I could not see straight for a couple of hours.  I found out that my plant guide hadn't kept us behind the protective plexiglass as he was supposed too.

I don't think I could have lived (or slept) within 2 miles of that facility!

Wendy said:
Even $60/month wouldnt make up for the noise for me. But it sure would be an option for a place to stay while you sightsee the LA area.

Wendy

Ahh!! Only a pilot could love the noise and the smell of jet fuel exhaust. Music to my ears and perfume to my nose.

Mc2guy, the A-10s are local, and I love watching them. I live about a mile south of the western approach to the Boise air terminal and guard base.

However, for the last couple of months we have had a FOREIGN AIR fORCE flying in and out. The Singapore Air Force leased a part of Mountain Home Air Force Base for the next 25 years, recently, and will be training from there. They will be using a nearby, desert, gunnery and bombing range. They take off and land at BOI, occasionally.

Yep, they're loud - really loud!

I have mixed feelings. Great for our local economy. But, those foriegn markings give an old Air Force guy a bit of the creeps. No Stars and Bars on those birds! That makes them even louder!!  :eek:  ::)

Ray D  :-\

[quote author=Ray]... those foriegn markings give an old Air Force guy a bit of the creeps. No Stars and Bars on those birds![/quote]

Funny you should say that Ray. I'd pass a small local airport en route to our prior home and always saw the Korean Air markings on a plane; They (KA) had an academy at the airport.

Ray D said:
Mc2guy, the A-10s are local, and I love watching them. I live about a mile south of the western approach to the Boise air terminal and guard base.

However, for the last couple of months we have had a FOREIGN AIR fORCE flying in and out. The Singapore Air Force leased a part of Mountain Home Air Force Base for the next 25 years, recently, and will be training from there. They will be using a nearby, desert, gunnery and bombing range. They take off and land at BOI, occasionally.

Yep, they're loud - really loud!

I have mixed feelings. Great for our local economy. But, those foriegn markings give an old Air Force guy a bit of the creeps. No Stars and Bars on those birds! That makes them even louder!!  :eek:  ::)

Ray D  :-\

It does seem strange, but I guess I'd rather see a foreign ally flying American made planes and leasing American soil to train on vs. the other way around. :-\

Back
Top Bottom