RV mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bulau1

What is out there to upgrade the original RV mattress to some more comfortable

Use the Search button in the menu above and you'll find lots of prior discussions on that subject. Some of us switched to air mattresses (such as Sleep number), some changed to a firmer foam,  some added a mattress topper (layer of foam).

Almost anything you can imagine, from traditional mattresses to memory foam to air-adjustable types. If you have an oddball size, an upgrade might get somewhat expensive but even small cities usually have a custom mattress manufacturer who can meet any needs for size or quality.

Some people get by simply by adding a mattress topper, typically 1.5-3.0 inches of foam. The better grades of foam toppers are denser and provide more support & comfort.

Welcome to the forum!

Ours came with a nice one, but some we have seen in RV shows are worthless.  I would suggest you get a nice one if you are going to spend a good number of nights on it.  It is worth the investment.

I recently purchased a queen size Air Dream Air Mattress for the sofa bed in my B+ R Vision but to my horror it's too thick to fold up into the sofa.  The mattress is a  3 1/2" interspring with a 5" air mattress as the base.  According to all of the reviews this type of mattress would be ideal for an RV application as long as it fits the bed frame. :(

We had a Sleep Number put in our RV.  I personally like it better than the mattress we have in our house.

We had a Serta queen size in our new Rockwood TT,  was awful.  Ordered a memory foam from Amazon that's so much better.  Only $300..

Bulau1 said:
What is out there to upgrade the original RV mattress to some more comfortable

Has anyone tried the Luxury CoolMax foam mattress by Mattress Insider?

Choice of mattress is a very personal thing. Firmness, surface fabric & coolness/warmth, the different resilience of foam vs gel vs air vs [whatever], and so on. Hard to make any decisions based on what another may like or dislike.

Hard to make any decisions based on what another may like or dislike.
True, true. I see a lot of posts here praising Sleep Number or its ilk. We found that it's far from our first choice. So you have to try it for yourself.

We went to a mattress builder, it was well worth the slightly extra money, and even got the full queen size mattress we wanted then.

Have fun hunting for what you want!

Hi All,

I just went to a Denver Mattress store and was told they are not allowed to sell the undersize mattresses anymore. Apparently they are a factory direct seller and manufacturer and were hurting sells of RV suppliers/dealers who charge more for the same mattresses they were selling. At least according to the manager I talked to. So my choices are accept current mattress, go to a RV place that sells and pay the price or go to a custom manufacturer and hope they make a decent mattress. BTW, my wife is quite happy with the mattress and our foam pad on top of it. I however wasn't impressed by that set-up and reason for wanting a new mattress. I will be in Denver and might consider buying one (you have to go to their customer who sells), and hope my wife will like my choice and bringing it back with me from there.

A Friend purchased a what he called a camper queen from Amazon, I have a regular queen mattress/box spring and frame (had to screw it to the wall) it sits really high, considering taking out the box spring and using plywood, afraid it might be way to stiff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlie13
Back
Top Bottom