RV Park Wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bob T said:
Just out of curiosity, what qualifies your church camp exempt from an electrical permit and inspection?
Up north, there is no way this would be exempt (unless property and facilities were owned by Federal Government). As you're saying it is owned by the church, it would be considered just another construction job to be inspected.

As I was told it... a church does not need permits because of some old law about the "Separation of Church and State". 

;)

TonyDtorch said:
As I was told it... a church does not need permits because of some old law about the "Separation of Church and State". 

;)
Thank you, interesting

I don't think Brother Bear said the place was exempt simply because it is a church - just that a permit or inspection were not required in that area. Plenty of places like that exist in rural areas. Further, modifications by the owner on his own property are not permitted or inspected in some rural areas.

It has nothing to do with "church & state", though I suspect in some areas the town or county jurisdiction is somewhat inclined to turn a blind eye toward any church-related activity. Especially if the local politicians happen to be a member...  ;)

I just watched a National Geographic documentary called Arctic Tale from 2007. A great story about polar bears and walruses. One of the polar bears was called Brother Bear. But it must be a different Brother Bear since this one died. Not a good doc to watch if walrus farts would upset you. Thank heavens there is no smell-o-vision yet. ???

Think of this....Churches are also tax exempt.

It's true that some municipalities exempt the property of churches from local taxes. It's much less common to exempt them from fire and safety regulations, but local governments can and do set their own rules on strictly local issues.

TonyDtorch said:
Think of this....Churches are also tax exempt.

Not totally, if they are running a for profit endeavor like a RV park that part of it is taxable. I worked with a contractor and we built a church with a daycare on one end and all of that part of the building was taxable as it should be because they are charging for a service and in competition with other people doing the same thing.

Denny

A non-profit can charge for something and still be non-profit.  It's what you do with the excess $$ that matters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonprofit_organization

Used to belong to a church and they had a daycare...all non-profit.  All the proceeds went either back into the church or to other charitable organizations.

Wow! This thing has gone way off the deep end since I last visited. Gary is correct. The fact that electrical permits/inspections are not required at our camp has nothing to do with us being "church".  It is simply a fact of the county in which our camp is located. The county does not require permits/inspections for electrical work regardless of the entity.

TonyDtorch said:

;)
Better read this - https://www.thoughtco.com/separation-of-church-and-state-myth-249688

Electrical permits would seem to be more directed at public safety than religious beliefs.

Bill

Bill:
Let's pretend you are a Supreme Court Judge and I'm presenting a case to you.  You give us your ruling.

I am the leader of a state and federal registered church.  I say that our churches religion beliefs require all of our congregation to build and worship in an all natural Pure Earth 'unreinforced' hand made mud block building, built in pure moon light as required by our scripture.  The Church was blessed by our High Priest (me), and is now considered sacred land (that we're not required to pay property tax on).
  The County building inspector issued us a Do Not Occupy tag,  and threatened to have all of us arrested if we use it.
He says it does not meet stringent Calif building code earthquake standards.

I am suing the state and county for violation of my 1st. amendment rights.

If this building (or RV park ) is for parishioners, I don't see why they need permits.

How do you rule your honer ?

I have heard so many stories about faulty electric at camp sites ,,,,  I will tell you I purchased a top of the line surge protector that also covers,  every  fault that can  occur,  it is worth the money ,,,  I have 30 amp progressive unit that I have posted  on the sale site ,,,  my new RV is an A-class so I had to change to a  50 amp,,    so if you need one check on the sale post ,,,,  they are worth it  ,,,, 

TonyDtorch said:
Bill:
Let's pretend you are a Supreme Court Judge and I'm presenting a case to you.  You give us your ruling.

I am the leader of a state and federal registered church.  I say that our churches religion beliefs require all of our congregation to build and worship in an all natural Pure Earth 'unreinforced' hand made mud block building, built in pure moon light as required by our scripture.  The Church was blessed by our High Priest (me), and is now considered sacred land (that we're not required to pay property tax on).
  The County building inspector issued us a Do Not Occupy tag,  and threatened to have all of us arrested if we use it.
He says it does not meet stringent Calif building code earthquake standards.

I am suing the state and county for violation of my 1st. amendment rights.

If this building (or RV park ) is for parishioners, I don't see why they need permits.

How do you rule your honer ?

Bailiff - throw the bums out.  The permits insure that necessary inspections will be conducted to insure the safety of the occupants.  The requirement for permits does not call for establishment of a religion or prevent the same.

Bill N said:
Better read this - https://www.thoughtco.com/separation-of-church-and-state-myth-249688

Electrical permits would seem to be more directed at public safety than religious beliefs.

Bill
I read the article "Sepreation of CHurch and State is what is meant by "Congress shall make no law regarding the establisment of religion nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

However in the building, and wiring of a church or other place of worship PUBLIC SAFETY (IE WIring and construction permits and inspections) have nothing to do with establishing or prohibiting free exercise.. THe Faithful are free to worship in an open field.

The Code has to do with making sure the Faithful LIVE to pray another day

Another factor is that the church may sell or rent its property and buildings to a non-church in the future.  It has to be safe for those future tenants as well. This "future need" premise is well-established in regulatory law, i.e. long term safety considerations trump current use.  For example, if you build a 4-bedroom house the code may require installation of a septic system suitable for a large family, even though the current owner is a single individual. Future needs are likely to change, but the construction does not.

In any case, we have digressed considerably from the original question about ground wiring, so we should probably desist from further debate about church vs state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom