RV power consumption plugged in and on propane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A gas/electric RV refrigerator has two operating modes - "Auto" and "Gas". In the Auto mode it will default to electricity whenever it's present. This can consume 300-400 watts by itself on an almost continuous basis. You have to turn it to Gas mode to stop it from using electricity.

The refrigerator sips gas, running a month or more on a single propane tank.

Do you have a lease that states your landlord gets to freeload electricity & water ? Just unplug her. She'll then tell you what' she has hooked up.
Ha -I saw your comment and burst out laughing at the idea of a contract like that, which of course we do not have. When we signed the rental agreement it was that we pay 2/3 of the HOUSE hydro and the guy downstairs pays the rest. They said when (landlords) are on property they will pay for themselves…

People living in an RV often have little concept of how things are powered or what they may be using. It's quite possible the landlord camper thinks being "on propane" automatically eliminates all 120vac power consumption. It might in fact do almost that, but it's equally possible that there are remaining electrical loads or concurrent electrical & gas usage (a water heater using both, for example). Many possible examples have been given here, so I won't belabor that.

Employing the plug-in watt-hour meter is the best way to move the discussion from conjecture to fact and hopefully avoiding any question of someone's veracity or ethics. Hope it works for you (and her)!

Ha -I saw your comment and burst out laughing at the idea of a contract like that, which of course we do not have. When we signed the rental agreement it was that we pay 2/3 of the HOUSE hydro and the guy downstairs pays the rest. They said when (landlords) are on property they will pay for themselves…
As a former landlord of 97 total rentals I've had to put in leases things such as this and even more off the wall.
You can buy a rv pedestal with a meter and get it installed then everyone will know thier usage.
Me, I would move now.

You can buy a rv pedestal with a meter and get it installed then everyone will know thier usage.
Remember that Rowatt is the tenant, not the landlord. An RV pedestal with a meter is $400 or so, plus installation. And a modification to the landlord's property and personal use dwelling (the RV).

Remember that Rowatt is the tenant, not the landlord. An RV pedestal with a meter is $400 or so, plus installation. And a modification to the landlord's property and personal use dwelling (the RV).
It can be done cheaper useing separate boxes but the freeloading cheapskate landlord should pay for this along with splitting the service into the house, but I'm kinda thinking why would you get into this situation to begin with ?
I've also kept my Friends and money separate. They stay friends a lot longer.

After a month of zero electric use, then plugging in batteries need recharged. The converter charger will do this automatically. What type of fridge does the landlords RV have? It only makes senses that something is not as it's being told. The furnace, water heater, and fridge all need to be on gas to use the least amount of electricity. Even then as stated above the furnace fan/blower uses a fair amount of 12v that needs to be handled by the converter, or put back in the batteries. The fridge, as stated above, if not in gas mode uses constant 12v to run the burner, that also has to be handled by the converter, or put back in the battery.

Back
Top Bottom