RV Storage Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NitroxAZ

We just got our TT and had a question about the power at the storage place we rented. They provide a 15amp plug for each RV's use. Is this something I should leave the TT plugged into while it is stored? If so, will it keep the battery charged?

Yes and yes.  15a is basically your standard "household" current.  You'll need an adapter to downsize your RV power plug to a household plug, but those are cheap.  That kind of power is great for keeping batteries topped off and refrigerators running if you choose.  You may still need to check your batteries every so often, to make sure water levels are good and the batteries aren't getting "cooked"... but generally it's better to keep them topped off then constantly discharging and charging them.  You shouldn't run high-demand items like the roof A/C on 15a (you want at least a 30a campground connection for that), as it can overheat the cord and/or start popping breakers.

Scott is right on with the answer. I have mine plugged up all the time. we have teenagers and keep extra food in the fridge so they always have something to eat. We even use it during Christmas time as Santa's little work shop. also with it plugged in you don't have to worry about batteries freezing in the winter as long as they are charging they shouldn't freeze. We even have a small fan running to keep the inside from getting super hot.

Keep it plugged in so the batteries stay at full charge. However, you need to monitor the batteries to be sure they do not overcharge and "boil" off all their water. Often the charging system in a Travel trailer is not well regulated and that can be the result. Check the water level in the cells monthly until you have an idea how much is being lost and replace with distilled water as needed.

One trick is to put an appliance timer between the power cord and the outlet, or between the charger and its power source.  Set the timer to run the connection 2-4 hours per day rather than 24/7.

Thanks for the info. Good idea with the timer.

For now I think I will keep the battery at home and trickle charge as needed to avoid issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom