RV travel still beats airline travel ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll take the cold one an bring the nuts (fresh ones).

Getting back to the subject at hand - I've noticed in just the last two months that air travel was cheaper (if planned in advance) than driving, but, that is quickly changing as the airlines have increased fuel costs too.  As to staying in a motel/hotel, their prices will increase accordingly as they too have to pay the increased costs for goods/services as a result of the petroleum industry.  My neighbor who normally drives his RV, found it cheaper to fly from GA to FL, stay in a motel for 4 nights, rent a car, eat out, than to drive the RV and stay at a campground.  I can't remember what the special deal was, but it shocked me when he told me of it.

I don't travel in an RV because it's cheaper than air travel or car/motel travel, because it isn't. I travel by RV because it's more convenient and more comfortable.

wendycoke said:
I don't travel in an RV because it's cheaper than air travel or car/motel travel, because it isn't. I travel by RV because it's more convenient and more comfortable.

More secure without the security hassles.

we love travel in our rv, but now that we are childless again ( no dog ), we have decided to spend more time at our destinations and less time on the roads getting there. we have a little less than 9 years until we retire, so rather than spending too many precious vacation days on the road, we'll be flying to most destinations more than a days drive.
6 days in Bend, Oregon - it's a 2:45 flight and a 3 hour drive. it would take the entire 6 days just to drive there and back if we took the rv. we charge everything on Visas to earn flight fund miles, so we'll be flying first class for free - and then renting a nice luxury car with Sirius satellite radio for the drive from Portland to Bend, which we have done before - just beautiful. visiting friends, and fly fishing the Deschutes and other locations - can't wait.
flying has it's good points.....it gets you there FAST!

joester said:
flying has it's good points.....it gets you there FAST!

These people (image below) are having the time of their lives getting ready to fly, can't you tell?  ;D ;D

Attachments

• airportline.jpg
    airportline.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 26
Scotty, I'm in that picture - toward the back of the line. Been there two hours, so far, and a bit of time yet to go. When I get to the front, they will push my wheelchair into a small room and do a thorough search. they do it every time!  :mad:  You see, at 72, obviously disabled, I fit the profile of a hi-jacker, perfectly. Then the plane will be late!  :mad:  Unless it is already gone!  ::)

joester,  I love Bend, Or.  ;D

Great place and lots to do. Go there, fairly frequently and have a great time. We shop Sisters at least two days each trip! It's an eight hour trip from my house with rest stops anywhere we like. Enjoy! I don't know where you start from, but I also go to Portland and seattle, occasionally. To either of those, it's an all day trip from my house - Or I can fly. Airplane beats my motorhome there, but only because I'll stop the motorhome along the way, overnight, for relaxing/sightseeing. Well, if there was trouble on the other side of the country - NY or DC - then there is an overnighter on an airport chair, and the motorhome wins the race! (Think Turtle vs Hare.)   ;D ;D

My car, portal to portal, will beat the airplane, hands-down! It's about ten hours (500 miles) by car.  8)  By car, the service is better, the scenery is better, the ride is more relaxing  - and by a lot!  ::)  The food is better. The restroom fascilities are better, and it's a friendlier environment.  ::)

OK, past 700 or 800 miles, the airplane is faster. You apparently are coming from further than that. Hope your flight is a good one. Let us know how it goes.  ;D

Ray D  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom