RV/Truck Stop wash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tombstonejim

Can't believe I have RVed for 20 years and never used a truck/RV wash.  So Now in old age and gettin lazy I want to use the truck wash in Tucson to wash the MH.

Is there any thing special I should ask for, look for at the wash.  The listed prices look kinda high but I don't know  $45 to$80  depending on what they do.

Do you tip the wash guys.  After spending $50 $60 I don't really want to tip but will.

Any guidance?

If you use the Search button above and try Truck Wash, several recent discussions will come up.  Most of us use them occasionally but tell them to be extra careful around windows and other openings because power washing can push sealant out.  We also have the mobile RV wash guys do ours and they do a pretty good job, although it isn't cheap.  Sometimes they come around to RV parks.  We have an RV park near our home and the mobile guy comes to the house when he's nearby.  Have to say, that really has spoiled us!  ::)

ArdraF

Ardra is correct about prior discussions on this subject, but be sure to use the Search button in the toolbar, not the Search box near the top right of your screen. The two search features apply different search criteria, depending on what you happen to be viewing.

I used track automatic wash in Europe and have some problems with that. Top roller damaged satellite dish and back of my rv was equipped with bike rack. There for I have to do lot of hand washing anyway. Also hard brushes scratched my Perspex side windows.  After this experience I was using professional RV wash tunnels. cost was slightly higher, but more care taken. They usually did not mind to finish manually back part of my RV also.

I'm packing up now in South Texas to head back to Missouri after 6 months.  Down here, the Mexi-RV-Washers come thru the Park and will wash and wax your RV for $100.00, including the roof.  U can't beat it.  They wash and dry the RY and polish it while they're drying it.  Then they redo the windows. It really hurts me to sit and watch them work so hard while I'm drinking  cold Bud. But I just have to live with the pain.  Tipping is optional, but they get $25.00 an hour, so why tip. Eddie Elk.

Well, Tombstonejim, you aren't the only one. We've been at it an equal amount of time and never used one - probably because I'm cheap!  I've driven the RV into a DIY wash a few times though. You know, the coin-operated type with the power washer wand. I can wash the whole RV for under $10.

Mostly, though, I just touch it up regularly as we travel, using a spray bottle with a white vinegar and water solution and a microfiber cloth. Works fine as long as there isn't a muddy crust to get off. And once in awhile we  manage to find some place that doesn't mind if we wash the coach on the site, so I can give it a more thorough washing. Or a friends driveway.

Well looks like a no go anyway. I plan on moving it home Monday and it is supposed to rain and maybe snow up to 2 inches so guess I will just pass the wash by and go on home.

I use about 15% or even 20%. I don't measure - just slosh in some white vinegar and fill with water. I can usually smell vinegar slightly when using it.

The only drawback to a too-strong solution is that it tends to remove whatever wax you may have applied. That, plus the stronger smell.

Thanks.  I just had the whole m/h compounded and waxed.  Don't want to mess that up too quickly but I like the idea of cleaning small areas at a time and keeping up with it.

Some of the polish manufactures make a detail spray that works great. I use one from P&S Products. Does not mess with your wax/polish and actually smells nice.  That and a micro fiber cloth keeps in clean between washes. 

I have also used the do it yourself car wash a couple time after going through some wet weather and looked like the "half hast hilton" had taken a mud bath.  OK for a quicky but you do have to be careful where you aim that water. 

Down in Palm Springs they have a bunch of those detail outfits that come and wash and wax with permission from the parks. Seem to do a nice job too.
8)

It all comes down to the type of person you are.

Elbow Grease vs. Saving Time and Energy.

If you have enough lather muster, then washing your own motorhome is the way to go. Definitely cheaper, even infact you can learn a thing or two about your OWN motorhome. If you can wash it, it also means you can keep your own roof sealed as well. Which is a HUGE savings.

ON the flip side, if you are pressed for time.. Not interested in becoming a Pro at washing or keeping up your own unit their are several sources for find a good RV wash. I would start here though: http://www.gauto.com/?id_service_master=3, great place to find a mobile detailer to get it done.

For on the go cleaning I use Protect All Easy Wash mixed with water in a handheld garden sprayer bottle and microfiber towels. Also use on windshield with window scrubber/squeegee to get the bugs off. The adjustable sprayer allows me to make a strong stream to get the loose bugs off as well.

The other great thing about it is when I clean the windshield at rest stops and gas stations I get to speak with allot of truckers and RVer's because they are always asking me what I am using and want to know where I got the stuff ;D .

Wash it when it gets dirty.  If it has Clear Coat, it doesn't need wax.

eddieelk said:
I'm packing up now in South Texas to head back to Missouri after 6 months.  Down here, the Mexi-RV-Washers come thru the Park and will wash and wax your RV for $100.00, including the roof.  U can't beat it.  They wash and dry the RY and polish it while they're drying it.  Then they redo the windows. It really hurts me to sit and watch them work so hard while I'm drinking  cold Bud. But I just have to live with the pain.  Tipping is optional, but they get $25.00 an hour, so why tip. Eddie Elk.

Where are you in South Texas?  Can you give me the number of the Mexi-RV Washers?  We're in San Antonio and the guys that come around have quoted us $200 to wash and wax.  I'd love to have it done before we leave for the GNR!

If it has Clear Coat, it doesn't need wax.

I dunno - I think even clear coat can use a hand in shedding dirt and maybe enhancing the shine a bit. Afterall, clear coat is no different than glossy paint - it's just clear instead of colored. Whether it does or not, I use a "surface protector" on both car and coach, both of which are clear-coated. To my eyes, they look brighter/shinier afterwards.

Shouldn't need much polishing, though, unless it has been allowed to deteriorate over the years. Now surface lasts forever.

I tried waxing the front on my MH recently and made a mess of it.  The rubber seal around the windshield bled out into the white body color of the MH.  I tried buffing it out by putting more wax/cleaner on the bled out areas.  It didn't work.  I finally had to use some buffing compound to get the black color out of the finish.  I'm wondering if the color bled out of the rubber seal because the seal is old?  The next time I attempt to wax it I will tape off the rubber seal unless some one has better idea.  What a pain!  I never had a problem like this when waxing a car.  The MH is a 2004 Fleetwood Tara.

sluggermike said:
I'm wondering if the color bled out of the rubber seal because the seal is old?  The next time I attempt to wax it I will tape off the rubber seal unless some one has better idea.  What a pain! 
You could try a wax that can also be used on rubber such as ICE, at least on the rubber and around it and then continue on with whatever other wax you prefer. I use this on our Chevy Avalanche cladding and the MH roof, works really well. The only reason I don't use it all over is it is hard to see to buff out, days after waxing the the entire truck I kept finding spots to buff in different lights so opted not to use it all over anymore. It does leave a really nice shine and doesn't seam to hinder the rubber. Just a thought.

I have a question related to this topic. When I wash my car I sometimes use a claybar to help with some scratches.  I recently put a scratch on the top driver side of the MH from a tree ina parking lot.  Will the claybar help or does the clearcoat somehow react differently?  I haven't tried it, I just wondered if I could make the problem worse trying the claybar?  Or is there something better for me to try?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom