rv using tank water but coming out of city connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iain

We have a new trailer that we just started using this weekend. the tanks were full of water and pump working fine. I turned on the water heater then 5 minutes later water started pouring out of the city water connection line which is not in use.. any helpor advice would be appreciated!

I heard a loud noise and found water pouring out of my city water inlet.

The inlet has a spring that pushes a rubber plug back and closes off the water from inside and keeps the water from coming out.  I found the rubber plug and can see the spring where you connect the hose.

I don't know if my pump is bad and caused over pressure, thus the rubber plug blew out.  Possible the rubber plug just wore out. I have not replaced city inlet connection or checked the pump as I am hooked up long term to city water (lazy).

You can purchase the city water inlet from walmart, camping world or a dealer.  I paid $9 at camping world.  It is not hard to replace just a pain to get to.

Hope my experience as led you to what caused your trouble.

Russ, WB3FQI/6

Thank you very much for your reply.we will try that tomorrow, as right now we were thinking it was a major problem and as its a new rv not good.
how hard was it to get to? was it simply the external connection<

Iain

I'm lazy and have not replaced it as yet.

I have a Class A and you need to reach up behind the panel to unscrew it from the water line.  A friend replaced it for me several years ago when I messed up winterizing it.  The book says to push the plug in for winterization but I guess I pushed to hard.  When you winterize it the water in the line comes out when you push the plug in.  You can buy a fitting with reduced end for an air hose to blow air through the lines however, you may still need to push the plug in to get all the water out.

I'm not sure about a trailer or a fifthwheel, you may have to go behind a draw, closet panel.

Look up camping World on google, ask for city water inlet or something similar to see what it looks like.  If you have a local Walmart see if they have one you can look at to understand what you'll be looking at on the RV.

It's not a difficult fix, however like many things on an RV they are inconvenient to get to. This may not be your problem but it's quick to determine if it is and go from there.
Russ

This does not show the  threads but I believe they are 3/4"

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/recessed-city-water-inlet/3783

Russ

iain said:
Thank you very much for your reply.we will try that tomorrow, as right now we were thinking it was a major problem and as its a new rv not good.
how hard was it to get to? was it simply the external connection<

Iain

New rig?  Before you rush into replacing the city water inlet, check the check valve's alignment.  Occasionally they get misaligned and get cocked open.  Fiddling at it with a small screwdriver is normally enough to realign it.  Turn on the pump to check the job.

As a temporary fix, you can get a solid plug that screws into the city water connection, in place of the hose.  This will seal the connector and keep the water from flowing out when you're not connected to city water.  In fact, you should have one of these anyway, to keep insects and road dirt out of the innards of the connector.

It seems odd the problem did not start until the hot water tank heated up. Usually a bad/stuck inlet check valve spews water as soon as the pump is turned on. I can't think of anything else it could be, though.

Well. when the water heater kicks in the water in the tank expands, this will increase the pressure, if there is no check valve on the water heater inlet (no reason there should be one there) the pressure on the city water inlet will increase.. As for the water pump being bad...... there are a couple of types of water pumps and the more common one can NOT fail high pressure, the more expensive one can.

If the pressure got high enough, theory has it it could blow the check vavle in the city water inlet,,,,, but the TPR on the water heater should go way sooner than the city water inlet.

Soem folks say "Do not ever press on the white pin in the center of the city water inlet (you have to remove the screen washer to see it"

Well.. if there is any kind of debris in the valve, pressing this pain may allow it to flush out. and allow the valve to re-seal.

Sure the heater increases pressure a few psi, but the pressure should already be at 40-45 psi with the pump on. If it doesn't leak at 45 psi, the inlet check vale is probably ok.

I have a shut off valve on the water line to the hot water heater. This valve is so you don't have to put antifreeze in the tank for winter storage.

Check and make sure water is going into the tank.  I don't see how this would create the problem, however it would eliminate another possible source.

Since water is coming out of the inlet either the plug(as mentioned) is out of alignment or missing.  I connected the water hose to mine and it keeps the water from back feeding.

I would take it back for warranty work.

If you want to before you have it fixed try connecting the water hose.  The hose will eliminate the use of the pump, therefore if the pump is bad causing the over pressure you can still camp.

As a precaution have someone inside to make sure there are no other problems occurring IE leaks.  I had a cracked toilet valve after winter and in the Spring ran water through out the MH because I didn't pay attention.
I suspect the plug is gone, but what caused it is the problem.  Either the plug/seal failed or the pressure was to high and caused it to fail.  If it is the pressure then look to the pump. The plug/seal is the weakes link, next could be plastic piple, fitting or valve.
Russ, WB3FQI/6

thanks for all your replies! we got a solid plug as a temporary fix... Ill call the dealership and have them look at it next time we're in but dont feel like taking it right now as were living in the trailer while our house build completes, and its setup now. ill have a mess with the inlet valve too.

thanks

iain

I have the same issue and looked at the plumbing.  There is no check valve on mine, just L's and T's.  Would an old water filter cause low flow?  Also, did some models have that city water plug as a standard?  The reason I ask is that there is no check valve to stop the pump from pressurizing and blowing water right out the city water connection.

MPDano said:
I have the same issue and looked at the plumbing.  There is no check valve on mine, just L's and T's.  Would an old water filter cause low flow?  Also, did some models have that city water plug as a standard?  The reason I ask is that there is no check valve to stop the pump from pressurizing and blowing water right out the city water connection.

Do you have a screen at the place you connect the hose for water. If you do, you have to pop out the screen and then you'll see a small plastic ball in the hole. Just take something like a wooden pencil eraser and push in on the ball.

Awesome tip, I will try this out.  I just found out this is where the valve is located.  I thought it was down further in the lines somewhere.

Ended up buying the whole water inlet part, which had the city, fresh water tank and breather for $41.  I now have great pressure using my fresh tank and pump.  Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom