RVing cold weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thirdktm

We've not used the RV -- an 11-year-old Class C -- in the cold.
Do I need to worry about the water freezing in the tank, in the hot-water heater, in the black water and gray water tanks?
We're planning a four-day outing in February and probably will stay in RV parks, which means we won't have to carry much water.

Yes, if the weather is at or below freezing you will likely have troubles.  More than likely your tanks are unprotected from the cold. Anything that go into any of the tanks will go to the pipes at the dump valves. Freezing there will break your pipes. so plan on not using the sinks or the toilet.  Leave the antifreeze in the line and the water drained from the water heater.  Park as close to the bath house as you can. 

Also you'll have a problem with moisture.  When you turn on the heat.  The windows the walls will draw moisture during the night. Anything that touches the walls, clothes and bedding will draw moisture.  Helps if you crack a window.

For drinking water buy bottled water. Use the gallons so if you need more they can be refilled at the grocery store.  Also, take a case of the smaller bottles (brushing your teeth and do it outside) Paper plates and plastic forks/spoons cut down on the need to wash dishes.  You could can heat up water in a pot on the stove and  wash a few dishes in a pail. Just don't run it down the drain into your tank. Most camprounds have a graywater dump site.

Baby wipes help if the showers are closed. If you really need to shower hopefully the bath house are open or there is a nice truckstop close by. 

It's a little bit inconvenience but cold weather camping needs some different thinking. 

Anytime the temps stay below freezing for more than 3-4 hours you need to be concerned about freezing. If the coach is heated inside and the water heater is operating, most thinks will be fine but anything exposed externally will still freeze. That includes a water hose to a park hook-up and also the exposed ends of your waste drain pipes. Adding some RV (potable water) antifreeze to your black & gray waste tanks will handle that in most situations.

A little off topic, but some newer coaches now have another cold weather concern: Many new coaches are being built with the refrigerator in a slideout. This exposes the the ice maker supply line to freezing as it is often under the slide.

We go camping in a 3 season rig where it will be below freezing every night spring and fall. As long as we warm up the next day to above freezing, we are fine.

Freezing temps day and night are going to require a 4 season rig with heated tanks or dry camping. Make sure you have at least power as a hook up or a way to keep the battery charged as the furnace is going to use a lot of juice and propane keeping you warm. With power you can also use a electric heater to help the furnace and save on propane.

There's other things but without know if you have a 4 season rig, what the temps are going to be and if you have hook ups, it's hard to be specific.

Lots of good replies so far...........What I'm thinking is we'll not use any of the water tanks. We'll shower at the RV park. We'll drink bottled water.
We've already winterized the RV, which means we don't have to go through that process again upon our return.

pile some stuff in the sinks and cover the toilet so no one accidentally forgets and you have to drain the tanks and re-antifreeze the drains.

thirdktm said:
Lots of good replies so far...........What I'm thinking is we'll not use any of the water tanks. We'll shower at the RV park. We'll drink bottled water.
We've already winterized the RV, which means we don't have to go through that process again upon our return.

That's what I do over the winter when we use our RV intermittantly for guest housing or for me when I do the occaisional night shift (I sleep out there so my better half and dog can make noise in the house - best sleep I've EVER had after night shifs!).  We just leave it winterized and rinse down any #1 in the toilet with a jug of red stuff with bottled water around the sinks for drinking and tooth brushing (with a chaser of red stuff when done).  No worries.

Hopefully, next year we can join the snowbirds and this will be my last winterizing for LONG time!  ;D

Gordon

Many motorhomes are built in such a way that heating pipes also provide heat to the underbays.  By cracking open cupboard doors, you allow the interior heat to circulate into underbays as well, the primary purpose is to keep pipes from freezing and cracking.

ArdraF

I just bought a 1995 Bigfoot 3000 series camper.  The company states it is good to -40 C if the furnace is on.  It heats the tanks and water lines below the floor so the water system can be used.  Anyone used one of these campers in that temperature ?

Back
Top Bottom