RVing in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVGranny

Hello.  My husband and I are new to RV'ing and would appreciate some advice.  We want to get an RV for travel in Mexico, both Baja and mainland Mexico (Mazatlan, Ajijic, Barra de Navidad, and Guanajuato, for example), but are torn regarding the size.  We realize we have to compromise at some point, but don't know where that "point" is.  A Class B is too small for us to spend much time in (my husband travels with two guitars and an amp!), but we're worried that anything more than a 23' or 24' would be too large for the roads in Mexico.  We're going to view a 25' class B tomorrow that actually sounds interesting to us, but is 25' too large for Mexico travel?  Will something that large make travel difficult in some of the smaller towns?  Does anyone have any experience traveling in Mexico with a similar sized RV?  Any opinions and advice will be appreciated.  We have traveled in Mexico, both by boat and small van, but never with an RV.  Thank you in advance for your experience and assistance.

We have been to all the towns you mentioned, either in a 31 foot MH or later in a 37 foot MH.  I'd have preferred shorter in Barra de Navidad, for example.  We were there in both MHs.  We ended up one time on a dead end street and getting out of it was a nightmare. 
I would not sweat a 25 foot rig at all.  Our current rig is 12' 6" high and would be a nightmare to drive in Mexican towns because of the low-slung electrical lines.  I don't remember the height of the last MH (it was a 1995 Pace Arrow) but I do remember driving through Guanajuato and getting in this tunnel system which went on and on for miles.  We had a bike on the top of the MH too and I was sure we were going to lose our roof.    They make motorhomes taller these days and I think it could be a problem in Mexico. 
Length isn't so much an issue as turning radius and height, IMHO.  Also, hone your navigation skills.  It's a little harder getting around there than it is in the US.
As an interesting aside, we were in Barra de Navidad in the mid-80's and I remember very clearly sipping pina coladas on a hotel balcony  watching a sunset over the water.  Gorgeous memorable evening.  We were back there in the mid-90's about 10 days after it had been hit by an earthquake.  Pina coladas and sunset again on the same balcony but no tourists this time.  The hotel was barely open and many buildings had been pancaked.  This time there was a Red Cross ship anchored in the bay.  I seem to recall it was easy on both occasions to dry camp near the main square. 
Hope you find a suitable RV.  You are headed for some lovely places.

We traveled to Mexico in our 40 foot wide body motorhome.  The  Baja roads are indeed  narrow and Terry says after driving the Baja there is not a road in USA that  worries him anymore.  We drove down to the Yucatan. We took ferries across from Mazatlan.

We traveled with a caravan and were always able to  stay in RV parks that accommodated many 40 foot rigs.  Now the power is not so good but that is another story. We are 12' 6" high and fortunately did not have any issues with overhead wires, just an occasional low  hanging branch in a rustic  campground.  We are always careful about  streets that may be dead end as that can be a nightmare.  As has been said I do not think length is as big of an issue as maneuverability of the  rig.  Get  a rig you like.
Betty

24 and under is ideal. In a Lazy Daze or Born Free, 26' would work as well.

One of the very best units for touring Mexico, Central and South America [or any else in N America] for me would be the Born Free 24' or 26' with the diesel option. It has a very solid metal tubing frame, fiberglass that doesn't leak and that diesel has mechanics wherever trucks run that can work on it as needed. It's reputation south of the border is already secured.

The Born Free diesel has been in my bucket list since I toured the Dodgen Ind plant that makes them in '82.  I found one near Loveland CO two months ago for less than 20k. I don't have that right now but perhaps someday. . .

Good hunting!

Thank you for your response, Betty.  What types of rigs would you consider more maneuverable than others?  The one we're going to see tomorrow is a 25' Coachman, Class C.  We've heard that Class As might be a little more maneuverable than Cs, but not having driven either for anything other than a test drive, we just don't know.  I very much appreciate your opinions.  I never even thought about height, but it makes sense.  We've sailed in the Sea of Cortez, sailed up as far as Santa Rosalia and then over to San Carlos, but didn't have to worry about low-hanging power lines out there.  We had a whole different set of worries to keep us busy.

Thanks, again.
Patti

New at this, so pardon my ability to respond properly.  I didn't realize I could respond to everyone at the same time.

Christine, it's interesting you mentioned sunsets at Barra.  We had been there three times on our sailboat and really love the area.  We most recently anchored in the lagoon, however, not in the bay where you watched the sun set.  The last time we anchored in that bay was in 1993/94.  It's one of our favorite places.  We also love Guanajuato, although we can't even imagine what it must have been like to drive an RV through the tunnels.  With a bicycle on top.  I don;'t know whether I'm more impressed or terrified!

We're going to take a look at the Coachman tomorrow and see what we think.  Class C, 25' long.  I'll be careful to stay away from dead-end roads.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Betty:  do you consider Class As more maneuverable than Class Cs.  I've heard it both ways.

Thanks, again!
Patti

RVGranny said:
I'll ask you the same thing I asked Betty:  do you consider Class As more maneuverable than Class Cs.  I've heard it both ways.

Patti,
I would have to say , it depends.... Ask what the turning radius of the rig is.  Some are better than others but in general a shorter rig will have more flexibility to put it where you want it.  Do test drives to see what  you think.
Betty

RVGranny,
I've not driven a Class C so couldn't speak to the difference in maneuverability. 

I think you do need to consider how you plan to use the vehicle and what you want to be able to do with it.  We parked in some campgrounds where caravans could park and the larger vehicles could easily be accommodated but we also parked in small town squares across the street from the local police station.  We were not towing another vehicle which meant that we either walked or drove where we wanted to go.  Some parts of Mexico are heavily trafficked by caravans and RVs, but you can get into areas where you won't see another motorhome for miles.  It's in those more remote spots that I'd prefer a shorter vehicle.  Ajijic and Lake Chapala, and San Miguel de Allende are for instance very popular with RVers but if you were to head south of Acapulco towards Huatulco, for instance,  then you'd see far fewer RVs.  When we went to Barra on those two occasions we were the only motorhome in town.  That raises two issues - road conditions and your profile.  Frankly you start to stand out like a sore thumb.  It's a bit disconcerting at times.

Thank you for all of your answers.  We looked at a 22', 1984 Class A Itasca today and then were totally scared off by a gentleman at a dealership we were thinking of taking the RV to for a pre-purchase inspection.  It was his opinion that a 1984 was too old for long-distance traveling and that parts would be too difficult to find.  Did I mention he was also a salesman?  What to believe?  So we're back to Craigslist to search for newer RVs still within our price range, a process that might prove impossible, at least for this year.  I really want to thank everyone for giving us lots to think about.  We WILL find our RV; we WILL see you out on the road at some point in the future.  If not this year, though, we'll pack up our van, head south, and hope to find an affordable rental.  Stay safe and drive carefully.  And if you think we've been led astray by the salesman/dealer guy, don't hesitate to tell us.  1984 . . . hmmm . . . most, if not all, of the RV was original parts/appliances, etc.

I am not sure how relevant the age of the vehicle is.    If you know nothing about electricity and basic mechanics I might stay away from an older rig but if you have any mechanical aptitude and are physically able to do the work you shouldn't have concerns.  There are plenty of people on this forum who have older rigs but know how to take care of them and they get into remote spots.
One thing you should consider is that when you are in Mexico you can get things repaired well and very inexpensively, in even a small town.  The Mexicans are extremely resourceful in making repairs and they can fix things that would be trashed in this country.  I recall having very good fiberglass repairs done and also a suspension repair made when the part we needed was not available. 

Christine

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom