RVing in national parks with a small dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Django

Bonjour everybody. I'm a pre-newbie. A couple of years ago, my wife and I visited the Southwest with our little dog, Jaeger. Hotels were not a big problem -- Residence Inns are pet-friendly and come with a full kitchen. But national parks are very restrictive about where dogs are allowed. So we ended up taking turns seeing the important sights, or looking on from afar.

We're thinking of renting an RV for several weeks and touring the Southwest, again with our dog. (A miniature wire-haired dachshund. Very smart and very cute.) My questions are:

- If we park in a NP campground with full hookup, can we leave him in the RV while we go explore the main sights? (We wouldn't leave him for more than three hours.)

- Do the AC units run on land power, and can be they be left running while we're gone in hot weather?

- Are the RV campsites often located a long distance from the centers of activity?  Are shuttle buses ever provided from the campsites to the principle sights?

I realize it may be hard to generalize, but I want to get a feel for what life would be like on the road with Jaeger.

Many thanks for all advice.

I have a dog and it's no problem leaving him in my 5vr. But then again, he's not a barker. He never barks while we're camping. If your dog is a barker you better not plan on leaving him or her. If he or she is, don't be surprised when you get back that management will ask you to leave. There is nothing I hate more while trying to rest at a campground when the rig next door has a barking dog. I'm not afraid to complain about it to the C/G. Check with the C/G. They may be able to recommend a kennel where you can board your pet for the day.

The AC does run off shore power and can be left on while you do some touring. 

When I stayed in a C/G outside New York City, they did arranged a tour bus with a guide that went in to the city which there was a charge $$$.

We ave two dogs which is one of the reasons that we decided to purchase our MH.  It is my observation that 50% of campers travel with pets thus most CG's are very accommodating. Some even have dogs parks to allow the dogs to run leash free.  Regarding barking... we have a Yorkie-poo that is a barker however once she realizes that we are not in close proximity she gives up and takes a nap.  We crate her in the bedroom and we always play the radio to drown any noise outside.    We always canvass our neighbors and they always tell us the same thing...she barks about two or three minutes and then remains quiet until we return.  Rv'ing has given us the freedom to travel with no worries.  We love it and so do the dogs!

Django said:
- If we park in a NP campground with full hookup, can we leave him in the RV while we go explore the main sights?
Yes but if the dog barks a lot while you are gone and someone complains the LEO might give you a ticket.
- Do the AC units run on land power, and can be they be left running while we're gone in hot weather?
Yes, A/C units run on land power and they can be safely left running all day long.
- Are the RV campsites often located a long distance from the centers of activity?
Generally speaking the answer is no.
Are shuttle buses ever provided from the campsites to the principle sights?
Yes but only a few National Parks run free shuttle bus service. Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Glacier are the only National Parks currently offering shuttle bus service.

I travel with a small dog in parks and sightseeing, but instead of a car, I sightsee in the RV so doggy goes with me. If he can't go inside (most outdoor places have allowed him) then he can wait in the RV and if need be I run the generator and AC for him. If the weather is nice, then I can leave some windows open. He's been trained that touching a screen on a window is a HUGE no-no. This way he thinks he can't escape.

He hiked with me to Niagara Falls and back, we were parked on the street in the RV about 2 miles away. He hiked with us to through the park and we had fun getting pictures of him at the falls.

In other parks I was able to hike around outside with him, many places allowed this,  but some museums and stuff won't allow him inside. So in that case, he has to wait in the RV. 

It takes some training to be able to leave your dog alone without them barking. I had to tell him to stay then sneak off while my neighbors listened for him. He was barking, so I kept sneaking back up on him, and hushing him up again. Then I would leave again, sneak back to hush him up then leave again. It was exhausting, but worth it. Dogs aren't born trained, but they do like to make their owner happy, so spend time training them. I can't stress this enough.

Once he got the handle on being quiet, I went away for a short hike to the store and back to get a few things. I gave him loads of loving on my return. I did several small trips like this, so he learned to be quiet and wait for me. As time went on, I was able to be gone longer and he still remained quiet.

My neighbors were a huge help in listening out for me, when I told them I was training him to stay alone and be quiet. They were equally thrilled when he became trained, because there was a grocery store I could walk to, but couldn't take him with me. It seemed silly to drive the entire RV when the store was close by and so on. I could leave, tell him to STAY and walk away hearing only silence.

In his case, he loves having all the window shades up so he can watch the world go by. Mostly according to the neighbors, he patrols around the rig then settles down for a nap. Sometimes I come back and find his toys dragged out everywhere like he has had his own playtime.

I rarely have to leave him alone, but when I do, I plan ahead. First off is to give him a nice brisk walk before leaving him alone. This lets him pull the plug, sniff the world and it's best to make time to really walk them. Dogs love exercise!. This seriously helps keep them calm and balanced.

Upon my return I reward him with tons of love and another walk, even if it's just a brief walk, like he's been left in the grocery store parking lot. I take him on a 2-3 minute walk, then we drive away. Back at the campground I can take him on a much longer walk.

Once in awhile he forget to be quiet and will bark at my retreating back. I will spin around, walk back toward him with my finger across my lips and tell him HUSH. Then I leave again. Usually he has nothing to say about it then.

Mostly I try to do everything possible with my little dog. I keep working on his training so he is welcome most places. The campground I am at now has coffee and donut meetings. He goes to the coffee and donut meetings on his leash, doesn't beg and enjoys visiting with other campers. More of them are bringing their well behaved dogs too.

At a happy hour party some campers invited me to, I stuffed him with food before we went and I wouldn't let him beg. I don't let him beg at home and not at parties. He had fun flirting with the campers and then just laid down by my side being cool.

Training, training, training....  it's hard work but the end rewards are well worth it. If someone wants to invite me somewhere in their car and he can't go, I am able to leave him behind quietly but I do always try to give him a brisk walk first, leave him food and water and I am firm when I tell him STAY and lock the door.  I usually ask the other person to wait a minute, while I listen from their car to make sure he is quiet then we leave. I ask the neighbors if he barked while I was gone and am happy to report they claim he does not.

So good luck and with practice, I am sure you can have a happy quiet pooch too.

Most National Park campgrounds do not have hookups, so no A/C. We've found that in most places, leaving the dog in the motorhome with the windows open is ok. If you're concerned, do touristy things in tbe am before it warms up. Our dog is not a barker but if yours is, find a way to deal with that. Very few National Parks allow dogs on trails so you won't be able to take him along on hikes. If you have a small motorhome, you may be able to play tourist with the dog hanging out in the coach. And there are often towns close by with doggy day care.

Enjoy your travels
Wendy

Grand Canyon and Zion DO have electric, which is all you really need for AC.  Depending on the time of year, you may not need AC, or you can find a campground nearby with electric.  For example, there is a very close commercial campground near Bryce that has hookups and is near the shuttles. 

Do some internet searches and see what options you have. 

Oh my gosh, this is news to me that dogs aren't allowed on N.P. hiking trails. Luckily I have not run into that except on a stairway to the bottom of the Tallulah chasm (1,000 feet of vertical steps, no thanks!)

DearMissMermaid said:
Oh my gosh, this is news to me that dogs aren't allowed on N.P. hiking trails. Luckily I have not run into that except on a stairway to the bottom of the Tallulah chasm (1,000 feet of vertical steps, no thanks!)
The only trails I have found in the US National Parks that allows dogs is in Zion. Pets are also allowed above the rim at the Grand Canyon. But other than those two trails they are the only ones I have found that allow dogs in the National Parks.

Yes, when we lived in Pennsylvania, I used to think it strange that in state parks we could take our dog on the trails, but he was not allowed in their campgrounds. In the national parks dogs are permitted in the campgrounds, but not on the trails. You have to wonder about the reasoning behind these rules.

Joel

Dogs are allowed on the trails at Hovenweep National Monument. Not many other NPS sites. Typically they are allowed in developed areas and on roads but not on trails. Trails are usually considered backcountry and backcountry is for wildlife. You can also blame irresponsible pet owners for the trail ban.

You have to wonder about the reasoning behind these rules.

You might be interested in the following article in the Library.  It helps explain the western National Park rules.  Every part of the country is different and has different requirements.
RVing message boards ? RVing with pets ? Pet Safety in a Desert Environment

ArdraF

Thanks Tom!  You're right.  Some day I'll learn to do it right!  :-[

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom