RVing in the northwest :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rv4ever

Happy Monday!!  :) Any other northwestern RVers on here? Or anyone planning a road trip to the great northwest soon? I'm in Spokane, Washington where a little snow doesn't keep our wheels off the road! hehe...Just wish there was a little more snow around here. I guess I will leave it at that. Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

We stopped off to see my daughter in Cheney when we left in October, we live on the west side of the mountains. The RV parks were all turning off the water and shutting everything down when we were there. Everyone was getting ready for the cold weather and freezing.

It's 79 and sunny with high fluffy clouds in Palm Springs today. They say it might get down into the 40's tonight....... You can have the snow, I'm pretty happy in the sunshine.

Welcome aboard and if you need a little fun poked your way let me know......

Ken

My DW and I made our first home together on Whidbey Is.  I was stationed there in the Navy.  We had our 50th anv in 2012 and planned of making a trip out there that year (from SW Missouri) as a "sentimental journey".  But, two surgeries later, and we're still planning.  Come hell or high water, we're going to go this spring.  We bought a new Winnie ERA 170X last June so we won't have to worry about our old 2000 class C wheezing up the mountains and the 24' ERA is perfect for dry camping at the national campgrounds all over out there.  We're hoping to head out mid May and the trip we've planned will take about 30 days.  I'm excited!

Be aware that May is still snow season in parts of MT, WY, ID and even WA.  Spring is great but can get cold, below freezing at times.

Hope you have a great trip and would love to meet up with you but we hope to be in the east then.

Thanks Ken!! You guys head down to Palm Springs every winter? I'm sure I will be wishing for some warm weather after the New Year begins...I'm just dreaming of a white Chritmas right now. Is your daughter at EWU? I took some classes out there. Go Eagles!!

Molaker, will you guys head out through Montana? Glacier National Park is beautiful during the late spring/early summer (although there is still some snow)!! Any special destinations besides Whidbey Island? That sounds fantastic! Congratulations! How exciting!!  :)

rv4ever said:
Thanks Ken!! You guys head down to Palm Springs every winter? I'm sure I will be wishing for some warm weather after the New Year begins...I'm just dreaming of a white Chritmas right now. Is your daughter at EWU? I took some classes out there. Go Eagles!!

Molaker, will you guys head out through Montana? Glacier National Park is beautiful during the late spring/early summer (although there is still some snow)!! Any special destinations besides Whidbey Island? That sounds fantastic! Congratulations! How exciting!!  :)
Jim Godward said:
Be aware that May is still snow season in parts of MT, WY, ID and even WA.  Spring is great but can get cold, below freezing at times.

Hope you have a great trip and would love to meet up with you but we hope to be in the east then.
Snow has been a consideration.  We plan to cut across through southern Colorado, hopefully avoiding snow, and work our way over to the California coast just above San Francisco and then follow the coast all the way up to the Olympic Penn. and catch the ferry over to Whidbey.  Our return trip will be from Whidbey to Grand Coulee and on across to Glacier NP then continue on to Minot, ND.  We should hit Grand Coulee about the 1st of June.  Maybe we'll be safe enough by then.  I'm still taking several jigsaw puzzles and lots of hot chocolate mix though, just in case. :)

rv4ever said:

We move around all winter, a month here a month there. Always in Phoenix in March, but in warm weather somewhere all winter long. We've been as far east as LA and west to the ocean during the winter months. We're not ready to settle into one spot for too long yet. I've also been in Davenport when it was 27 below one year. I think the snow that fell off peoples feet in the back seat floorboards was there until we went home a week later.

The daughter wishes she was 20 and going to EWU. Instead she is 36 and works at US Bank in Spokane.

Ken

Molaker said:
Snow has been a consideration.  We plan to cut across through southern Colorado, hopefully avoiding snow, and work our way over to the California coast just above San Francisco and then follow the coast all the way up to the Olympic Penn. and catch the ferry over to Whidbey.  Our return trip will be from Whidbey to Grand Coulee and on across to Glacier NP then continue on to Minot, ND.  We should hit Grand Coulee about the 1st of June.  Maybe we'll be safe enough by then.  I'm still taking several jigsaw puzzles and lots of hot chocolate mix though, just in case. :)

Snow is a concern in Glacier and the mountains of MT anytime of the year just very seldom after about June 1 except in the higher mountains.  Going to the Sun Hwy usually doesn't open till late June.  US 2 is a good route across MT and even better in ND from what I have heard.  Be aware that RV spaces are at a premium in eastern MT and western ND due to the oil boom.

If you can, stop in Great Falls for both the Charlie Russell Museum and the Lewis and Clark center.  Both are worth taking at least a day to see.  Havre also has some good tourist sights including an underground tour of the old city.

Have a good trip.

rv4ever:  Welcome aboard from the wet side.  Waiting for spring.  I'll send our snow if we get any your way.  You can have it.

Molaker:  Make reservations at NAS Whidbey RV park.  Brand new, on base on a bluff looking West. 

mypursuit said:
      Molaker:  Make reservations at NAS Whidbey RV park.  Brand new, on base on a bluff looking West.
I'm aware but have been wrestling with that.  I don't know whether to stay on base or at Deception Pass campground.  We loved Deception Pass - caught a lot of lingcod there along the steep banks while the tide roared in and out.  As a rip roaring E-4, we didn't have much money (I think I got $124/mo plus $77 BAQ and about $30 comrats), so a box of frozen bait shrimp and tackle checked out from Special Services was all we could afford.  But, it made for a fine day...if it wasn't raining. :( 

mypursuit said:
  rv4ever:  Welcome aboard from the wet side.  Waiting for spring.  I'll send our snow if we get any your way.  You can have it.

Thanks mypursuit! Looks like we have some on it's way over to us this later in the week! **happy dance** We are heading south to Idaho Falls, ID for Christmas with the family on Sunday. Praying the 3 passes won't give us too much trouble. Fourth of July and Lookout are a little crazy to begin with, and slick conditions don't help. At least we will be in the car...We'll see how well those new snow tires work. :)

Attachments

• Lookout Pass (3) (1024x768) (640x480).jpg
    Lookout Pass (3) (1024x768) (640x480).jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 22
rv4ever said:
Thanks mypursuit! Looks like we have some on it's way over to us this later in the week! **happy dance** We are heading south to Idaho Falls, ID for Christmas with the family on Sunday. Praying the 3 passes won't give us too much trouble. Fourth of July and Lookout are a little crazy to begin with, and slick conditions don't help. At least we will be in the car...We'll see how well those new snow tires work. :)

Of all the passes we have crossed, Fourth of July is the most worrysome to us anytime there is snow/ice in the area.  Those winding roads and all the shade there make for some interesting sliding.  It really cuts the total mileage for the day.  :)

What's Washington State hwy 20 like from Whidbey to Grand Coulee?  I'd like to go that route and pick up US 2 at Wilbur.  S/B passing through there about June 1.

Jim Godward said:
Of all the passes we have crossed, Fourth of July is the most worrysome to us anytime there is snow/ice in the area.  Those winding roads and all the shade there make for some interesting sliding.  It really cuts the total mileage for the day.  :)

:) It's our first pass of the trip so we can take our time. The conditions won't be the greatest, but oh the scenery.  :D We won't make it down to Monida until dusk, hopefully the wind won't give us trouble there. Hope you all have safe travels over the next couple of weeks! I still need to get going on my Christmas shopping  :eek: The malls are scarier than the winter driving conditions...

rv4ever said:
:) It's our first pass of the trip so we can take our time. The conditions won't be the greatest, but oh the scenery.  :D We won't make it down to Monida until dusk, hopefully the wind won't give us trouble there. Hope you all have safe travels over the next couple of weeks! I still need to get going on my Christmas shopping  :eek: The malls are scarier than the winter driving conditions...

I don't know if you know Monida as there is almost nothing there.  You may want to stop at Dillon as there is a RV park there or push on to Idaho Falls for a park there.  Dry camping in the cold is not my idea of fun.    :)

I agree on the malls!

We have snow predicted for tonight.  :(

Molaker:  Going west on 20 is great.  Should be snow free in June.  Use WADOT link to see if the pass is open. If it's closed hiway 2 will be a good alternative. 
              Take 20 to Winthrop, go south to Pateros then north on 97 to 17 by Bridgeport.  Hiway 17 goes to Coulee then 2 by Wilber.
                All roads are 2 lane. mostly good, with light traffic.  Makes for a good drive that will leave you with scenery overload. 

Jim Godward said:
I don't know if you know Monida as there is almost nothing there.  You may want to stop at Dillon as there is a RV park there or push on to Idaho Falls for a park there.  Dry camping in the cold is not my idea of fun.    :)

I agree on the malls!

We have snow predicted for tonight.  :(

Looks like our snow won't be here until Sunday now. Thankfully we are only taking the car so there will be no cold dry camping...thank goodness! Bunking up at my parent's house for Christmas.

Pierat said:
mypursuit said:
Molaker:  Going west on 20 is great.  Should be snow free in June.  Use WADOT link to see if the pass is open. If it's closed hiway 2 will be a good alternative. 
              Take 20 to Winthrop, go south to Pateros then north on 97 to 17 by Bridgeport.  Hiway 17 goes to Coulee then 2 by Wilber.
                All roads are 2 lane. mostly good, with light traffic.  Makes for a good drive that will leave you with scenery overload.
Great!  Thanks.  Good info.  I just made a bookmark to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom