RVing in Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRDWRK

Do you RV during winter months? What do you carry and how do you stay safe?
There is professional seminar going on next year February in Orlando Fl.. We live in WA. We were thinking to go a cross country trip and attend the meeting. We are not just sure if this is a good idea or not.

Thanks

Many of us travel in winter, but we stick to warm places.

Personally, I would take the southern route to Florida.  Head south on I-5 until you hit I-20 near Los Angeles. Then head east until you get to Florida.  You will have reasonably warm weather and no chance of snow or icy roads.

I have promised myself never to take a chance on icy roads.  If ice is predicted or if chains are required, I will turn around and find another route.  I am from Michigan and used to driving in ice and snow, but do not want to take a chance driving this big vehicle in such weather.

The big thing is to allow time for delays due to weather.  That said the comment to head south on I-5 is a good one IF you are in western WA.  If not let me know as there are some alternatives.  My previous home was in MT and we went south most winters till a few years ago.  And we have travelled to OLY/Portland to visit family for the holidays and then headed south on I-5.  The Siskiyou's are always an issue in the winter but are doable if you allow time and can either miss the storms OR duck through when chains are not required.  We stayed near Medford a couple of times and did just that, ducked through when chains were not required. 

Ounce south of the Siskiyou's, the only risk of snow will be the mountains in southern CA, again if snow happens it will soon be gone.  Make your way from Bakersfield across to San Bernardino then sought to I-10 and across the US on it.  Long trip, don't push too hard and stop every 5 or 6 days for housekeeping, laundry and to just rest up.  Expect ot average about 400+ miles a day so that the trip is not tooo burdensome.  I our case we plan 350+/- miles per day.  Sometimes a few more and seldom less than 325 when we are are on a forced trip to meet a schedule.  Don't get me wrong, we have done over 600 miles in a day but that was due to a family emergency.  It is no fun and extremely draining on all in the vehicle.

Hope this help and if I can answer any questions, you can contact me via email.

Thank you Judy and Jim. Very helpful information.
Taking it easy is our plan. We want it to be fun. We are thinking to allocate 5-6 weeks for this trip since the goal is to have fun not necessary attending the seminar. If it was just the seminar we would fly rather than driving thousands of miles. One of my main concern, considering the season, if there are enough things to see and do on the way. We know that many camp ground ans parks close during the winter specially around colder states.

Head south on I-5 until you hit I-20 near Los Angeles. Then head east until you get to Florida

JudyJB There is no I 20 in Los Angles.  I'm pretty sure you mean I 10 which is the southern route east.

HRDWRK You will have to watch the weather even on that Southern route.  There are some passes that get snow.  Like mentioned, plan extra days so that you can lay over until the weather changes.  Be sure to research campgrounds along your route to make sure they are open.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
HRDWRK You will have to watch the weather even on that Southern route.  There are some passes that get snow.  Like mentioned, plan extra days so that you can lay over until the weather changes.  Be sure to research campgrounds along your route to make sure they are open.

There should be no problem finding campgrounds in OR and none whatsoever once you are south of the Siskiyou's IF you stay on I-5 or Ca 99 as you go south or on I-10 crossing the US.  The problem is in states like MT, ND, etc. up north.  In the warmer states they are open to accommodate the Snowbirds.  You may find that some are full in those areas as I have in the past.  Places like Phoenix can be an issue with full campgrounds.  If you were to try and cross on I-40, there could be closed campgrounds

HRDWRK;  I suggest you plan and layout the trip with the 3 to 400 miles per day and see how feasible the trip is in a 6 week time frame.  Personally, I would plan on at least  3 months.  Many years ago, we took a trip east for the Fall colors.  The color tour took about 2 weeks and with the sightseeing and housekeeping, we were gone almost 5 months.  Just a thought.

We travel during the winter for months.  For your trip take I-10 all the way once you get to LA area.  Lots of good places to stay.  We travel 225-250 miles per day as we are retired.  Because we leave for six months in a row, we take a lot of stuff with us.

All depends on what your definitely of "RVing in Winter" means. 

A few nights of cold temperatures while in route to a more hospitable clime isn't a be deal.  If you've got a reasonable modern coach and aren't talking about "polar vortex" type weather .... keeping the plumbing ice free for the couple of days on the road isn't a big deal.  We've spent lots of nights in the coach with temps dropping into the 'teens without a problem. 

Driving in snow is another issues.  When the roads get snotty - we pull off and wait it out.  If you're travelling freeways - they're usually clear enough to continue within 24 - 48 hours of a major snowfall.  Just leave yourself a little extra time (just in case you do have to lay up) - and use good judgement.  When the roads get bad - get off the bad road and catch up on your reading or watch those dozen football games you recorded on your DVR.

I wouldn't want to plan to sit in an RV thru the winter anywhere that has real winters.  But dealing with a bit of winter weather while traveling is not a big deal if you're prepared and have the right attitude.

Make sure you have heavy blankets or sleeping bags in case you have to ride out some cold nights and your heat isn't working.  Most likely you won't have this happen but better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozrkbnd
Back
Top Bottom