RVing to Alaska from Sarasota FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmooreredhot

Hi All, My husband and I are newbie's, we purchased our first motorhome in Nov. 09, it is a 08' Damon, 40' Diesel pusher.  We are leaving May 2nd for Alaska, need all the tips we can get, clothing, food,, etc. plan to be gone about 4 months.

There are dozens of magazines and books on traveling to Alaska.  Milepost, I think, is one of the best.  Do you know how you are getting to mile 1 yet?
OH and welcome to the forum.

You'll want to buy the Milepost Magazine first. Canada may request proof of vaccination for animals and a ban on some fruits.  No handguns allowed. Of course you need a current passport. Milepost should cover all that in addition to advising road conditions, construction etc.
  We found the campgrounds fill up pretty quickly toward the end of the day in Canada (after 1700hrs.)
  Do you have a specific route planned?
  Groceries are expensive once you leave US and only go up in price. We packed a lot of canned, packaged and frozen food.
  Weather is warm in June/July etc, perfect for breeding mosquitoes.
  You have a beautiful coach and will thoroughly enjoy your trip.
  I would recommend some front end protection for your coach from rocks, etc.

Look in the forum library under Trip Reports for several trip logs from members trips to Alaska.  Also a search of the forum messages will turn up a number of previous topics on this subject.

We did Florida to Alaska in 2002 and our trip journal is in the Library somewhere. That's a pretty ambitious trip for newbies!

It is a long, long, way from Florida and 4 months is barely enough if you hang out here and there for several days. Wonderful trip, though. Memories enough to last a lifetime!

Before we took our trip in 2001 we contacted the state of Alaska and they not only sent us information on Alaska but also information on the Alcan area. You can contact them on line. The Milepost will be your most important item to have on your trip. Have a great trip. I wish that I was going with you!!!!!

We went to the RV Show in Tampa FL and attended a seminar on RV traveling to Alaska, got some good info and did buy the Milepost which we plan on using for all our travels.  We ar very excited about our trip.

Well travelers ................. the Milepost  is a definite.  All of the other suggestions  that have been given are good. June is a great month to tour
Alaska. I've  lived up  here for 53 years so I'd be  glad to help you  with  places to go.  I haven't traveled by  rv over the
Alcan, but it's on our agenda. We do our rving around the state. Let me know how I can  help you. Randy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom