RVs not to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good stuff guys. I see some models mentioned I might shy away from and some that go to the top of the list.
Thanks
Frank

I was lucky when I bought my Monterey by Cobra 1992. I know they are not made anymore, and I bought mine for about 12,000. 32' and in good shape for the age. I drove it and checked out everything. Of course I knew I was going to put money into it, anything that age is going to need work. I like this one because the frame is all aluminun construction, I did not want anything that has wood beams in it. I can't complain and its been reliable. If I ever bought anything else again, I would buy a a used bus. Bus to rv conversion. I could have a nice rv for  about $35,000 when I am done. Buses are built like a tank, all steel, no delamination of the sides, no rubber roof problems, not like a normal rv.

I am doing a lot of research before buying an RV and construction quality is one of my biggest concerns.  Many years ago I worked in the Mallard Coach trailer factory during a couple of summers.  They were not well built!!!!.  I see all the discussions about delamination, and see how fast RV's depreciate, and I am trying to figure out how to get into RVing without this costing me an arm and a leg. Maybe redoing a Bus is the answer???

Prairieparson

I feel that when you are shopping for an older unit that condition is a lot more important than brand. I would rather have a lower end unit in immaculate condition than a run down top of the line.

Stay from Thor industries products, my Four Winds Chateau sport 28a, has been in the shop 10 times now, brand new RV too. Some of the problem is the lousy dealership in Airdrie Alberta, I`m almost afraid to drive it 100 miles from home.

vmax1 said:
Stay from Thor industries products, my Four Winds Chateau sport 28a, has been in the shop 10 times now, brand new RV too. Some of the problem is the lousy dealership in Airdrie Alberta, I`m almost afraid to drive it 100 miles from home.

What type of problems does it have?

BTW, I will be driving my RV right past Airdrie in September. Leaving here around September 9. Plan on going up to Edmonton (on PH2) and then back down through Jasper Park (on PH 93). Is that a good time for that area and are there any RV parks or other things you recommend?

BTW, if you don't mind, maybe you should reply to this question in a different section and thread so the hijack police don't chew us out.  ;D

Anything with "Alberta" in the topic in destinations / RV Parks  section I will be sure to read.

-Don- Reno, NV​

There are a lot of clues available these days that were not available a few years ago, like are they still in business or not?  If not, finding parts could be an issue for example, especially parts that were custom to that model or line. 

I predict that we, as a country, are going to face this issue more and more often since we have managed to get rid of many manufacturing companies and that's where spare/replacement parts are made. 

Many other vehicles will be affected, not just RVs, as well as appliances, etc.  There could be an opportunity for some entrepeunuer to make one off parts for broken vehicles, like the hot rod/customization industry.  The parts are expensive but at least you can get them.

I am amazed how many older Safaris I see ravelling in the park.  (Yellowstone)  The alum sided Continentals and that era. 

vmax1 said:
Stay from Thor industries products, my Four Winds Chateau sport 28a...

While your experience is very unfortunate, it is a little dangerous to condemn an entire manufacturer because of 1 product that had/has problems.  I saw this on Chrysler forums when I was shopping for the Pacifica we just bought... a couple people who had transmission problems would state "I am never buying another Chrysler product for the rest of my life!"  That's fine, but just a little unrealistic.  Again, that is a bummer that yours has been in the shop so much - I'm not trying to downplay that frustration!

FWIW, my Thor Residency motorhome has been great for us.  I've had a few repairs done in the 2+ years that we have owned it, but nothing above what I'd consider normal for an RV of its age.

How about a real life example?

Two years ago (when RVs were selling and the prices were higher than today) we purchased a 1994 Damon Intruder from a small, independent dealer.  It's 35 ft. long on a Ford chassis with the 460 engine and E4OD transmission.  It had 19,000 miles, no slides but a floorplan we really like with a forward facing couch in the front living room. 

It was obvious someone had lived in it for an extended period of time, but the interior was in very good condition with no smells, good upholstery and new carpeting throughout.

Mechanically it was in good shape, but needed some maintenance.

When I checked the tires, the two front tires looked new and were, in fact less than a year old.  However, both rear duals were desperately in need of replacement.  The outer tires looked OK, but were 8 years old.  Tires deteriorate with age and these were well beyond my comfort zone.  I crawled under the rig and found both inside tires were the originals from 1994!  Apparently that's a fairly common practice with used rig dealers - put the best looking tires on the outside of a pair of duals and assume the buyer won't notice older tires on the inside.

I kept the two front tires and replaced the four in the rear.

If I plan to keep a vehicle for a while and don't know it's history, I believe in fixing everything that looks marginal when a repair job is undertaken, instead of doing part of the job the first time and then having to do more at a later date.  For example, this rig has 4 wheel disk brakes and when I drove it off the lot, one of the wheel cylinders wouldn't release, causing that brake to drag.  Instead of just fixing that problem I had the shop rebuild the entire braking system with new rotors, pads, wheel cylinders and hoses.  I also had them replace the master brake cylinder, as that was a fairly inexpensive addition to the job and ensured the entire braking system was up to snuff.

The engine got a tune-up with new spark plugs, ignition cap, rotor and wires, an oil change and replacement of all filters.  I also replaced the thermostat, drained and refilled the coolant and flushed and refilled the transmission fluid.  The rear axle got an oil change.

The dealer had replaced the starting battery, but both house batteries were toast.  I also replaced the Magnetek 6300 converter with an Intellitec and Charge Wizard.

Two years later, the only problems we have had is an oven thermostat that doesn't work and serpentine belt that slips when the engine is started and the alternator is putting out maximum current.  That's the one thing I didn't replace because it's hard to get to.

The original purchase price was $19k.  The grand total, including all the work done to date, has been just shy of $26k.

Lou Schneider said:
we purchased a 1994 Damon Intruder from a small, independent dealer.  It's 35 ft. long on a Ford chassis with the 460 engine and E4OD transmission.  It had 19,000 miles, no slides but a floorplan we really like with a forward facing couch in the front living room.

Wow Lou, your rig sounds VERY similar to ours!  Click on my signature link to see a photo of our Thor - does your Damon have the larger bay windows like that?  I love the floorplan also, L-shaped couch with forward facing section like you mentioned.  I'd like to reupholster our couch, or ideally replace itif I could find another one.

Your account is a very good example of typical maintenance items & costs that may be incurred when buying a used MH, regardless of make or model.

No, we don't have the bay windows.  Our entry door is about where your bay windows are, so you enter into the living area directly behind the driver and passenger seats, in front of the couch.  It's not L-shaped, just a straight couch about 5 ft. long, which leaves room for a walkway around one end.   We have a fold-out table on the wall in front of the couch that can extend to almost the full length of the couch.  Cindy uses it as a sewing table when we're on the road.

Sadly, every single RV manufacturer builds its share of lemons. Quality control is not that great and it's a hand-built product, so there is plenty of opportunity to screw things up if somebody hurries a bit or has a bad day. My SWAG (unsubstantiated guess) is that each manufacturer makes lemons around 1-2% of the time. I don't know of a single manufacturer that does not have  some real horror stories out there on the internet. All to often the problems are aggravated by poorly informed owners, bumbling dealer sales & service and angry confrontations among the parties. The bottom line is that we should not rule out a manufacturer for a few bad reports.

One of the positive things to look for is a manufacturer & brand that has a good reputation for taking care of its owners. Tiffin shines in this regard, as does the American Coach division of Fleetwood. Newmar gets good marks and so did the old Monaco. The signs are that  the new Fleetwood American Coach will continue the previous factory service policy and the new Monaco seems to be making an effort as well. Only time will tell.

My 2006 Dutchmen Class C - also by Thor has been great and very reliable - Sure considered to be 'low end' whatever that means but perfectly functional, reasonably comfortable,  well trusted Ford E450 Super duty power and spacious enough for a family. 

BT

Winnebago has been in business longer than most others, and has a strong reputation for build quality and excellent customer support.  We certainly have found that to be true with our 2003 coach. On the many RV forums where I participate, the general agreement is that Tiffin (Allegro), Newmar and Winnebago are pretty much the top three to consider in the "normal" price range for motorhomes.  BUT, as someone else mentioned, with a used coach, how the previous owner(s) have maintined and cared for the rig is nearly as important as which company built it. A quality product that has not been maintained/serviced well could be a disaster as a used purchase.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom