Sacramento, Yosemite, Tetons, Yellowstone, MT, WY, & CO with the Stocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
June 29, 2011 Day 53 Denver, CO

Today was the Day of Temperatures.  We woke up to frozen insulin (both bottles?long-term and short-term) in the hotel refrigerator.  Dean had set it at 4 out of a scale of 1-7.  Freezing destroys the effectiveness of insulin.  Fortunately, Dean had more short-term out at the coach.  This just means more frequent monitoring and lots more finger pokes.  Ouch!

As he made the trip to Cummins, I checked the temperatures.  Today is going to be 92?, so I decided to scratch my trip to the zoo and head to an inside venue?Denver?s Art Museum, a AAA gem-rated attraction.  By the time Dean got back, it was close to noon, so we knew we should eat soon.  We saw a sign for JJ?s Bistro, which advertised ?The Best Chinese Food in Denver.?  I haven?t tried the others to be able to say it was the best, but it was mighty good. 

When we got to the Art Museum, we circled the block repeatedly looking for a parking space.  At the museum, we learned there is a parking garage at 12th & Broadway.  We also discovered that the museum has a lovely caf? for lunch.    There are two other cafes that looked good that we could see from the museum, so we didn?t need to stop on the way in.

Admission for 2 out-of-state seniors was $20.  The couple behind us only paid $6 because they were Colorado residents and students.

Dean isn?t crazy about going to art museums, so we?ve only been to about 12, but this one was very unique.  It is a combination of a natural history museum, a modern art museum, and a regular art museum in an architecturally striking building.  The first floor was amazing.  They had paintings of the masters from the 1300?s and 1400?s.  I don?t have a lot of art knowledge, and I didn?t recognize the names on the paintings, but the paintings are so outstanding that even a novice knows they must have been masters, as their signs said.  I haven?t seen that quality of painting since I was in Amsterdam.  I know they must have been restored, but their colors were not at all dull and the detail was magnificent.  We weren?t allowed to take pictures, but I?m sure the camera couldn?t have done them justice.  They had little signs that gave just the right amount of information.

The modern art was imaginative.  The wolves? party was a whole large room painted red everywhere (walls, ceiling, floor) with the wolves everywhere and one red wolf partying over at the side. (Picture 1)  One piece made me want to reach out and touch it. (Picture 2)  Why can?t they put a little touchable swatch to the side of it to satisfy my tactile curiosity?  I wanted to know if the dots were raised or they were flat and the artist had made each one 3-D.  The circles, which represent suns, seem to spin if you watch them for a while.

The 3rd floor had Western art.  I got to see part of the bighorn sheep that I?ve been looking for in 3 states. The granite head was exquisitely carved. (Picture 3).

As we were leaving the museum, I started talking with a lady and discovered that we had just seen the new satellite museum?the main, 7-story museum is across the street, connected by a bridge on the second floor.  Fortunately, we were still wearing our stickers, but, unfortunately, we had tarried and only had one hour left before they closed!  We sped to the 5th floor first to see the Asian art, which was primarily relics, many from as far back as the year 25 (yes, only two digits)!  Their Buddha room was incredible.  We hurried on down to the 2nd floor to see their Pacific Northwest art, and I was in heaven.  Unfortunately, the guard came and told us we had to leave. It?s like tasting a teaspoon of a wonderful dish and not being able to have any more. This will be my first place to go when we come back to Denver, and next time we will be there when they open at 9.

We headed for Famous Dave?s, one of our favorite barbecue places.  The Denver Dave?s is where we first found Famous Dave?s, and I think it is the best.  I had their 1/3 slab of ribs, and they melted in my mouth.  I love all their accompaniments, too.

The  Day of Temperatures exceeded the prediction.  It was 96?!  The art museum exceeded our expectations, and Dean even enjoyed part of it.

Coach stayed at Cummins; we stayed at LaQuinta the first hotel I will every check out if I ever again need a hotel.

Attachments

• IMG_6244.jpg
    IMG_6244.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6245.jpg
    IMG_6245.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6246.jpg
    IMG_6246.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 14
Just wanted to thank you once more for the time and effort you put into taking us along with you via your travel descriptions.  I notice you've had more than 2,000 views, so I know I'm not alone.  :D  I eagerly await each day's post.

Margi

Even with the coach in the shop, she just keeps the travelgue coming :)

Wendy
WINDY and 95 in Cortez

June 30, 2011 Day 54 Grand Junction, CO

We were able to pick up the coach this afternoon and left at 3:00.  We drove 263 miles on freeways.

This will be my last post as we will just be driving home, not sightseeing.  I want to thank everyone who gave suggestions and information.  Everyone on the RVForum is so helpful.  While we were stranded in Denver, a Forum member e-mailed me and even suggested that we come stay at his house if we had any problems.  What a generous offer! 

Of all the trips we have taken, this is my second least favorite (on one other Dean had to fly home for medical treatment, and that was a nightmare).  And, yet, I have many fond memories of the last two months and saw many sights that were incredible.  I'm sure I'll be ready to head out on another adventure in a few months--after I catch my breath and save up some money.

Overnighted at Walmart.

Sounds like you might get home in time for the fireworks after all.  Have a safe (and uneventful) trip!

I echo Margi's comments.  Another lovely travelog that has been both interesting and informative.  Have a great weekend and safe travels home.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom