Sad Event at Quartzsite (with a silver lining)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a couple more things done on the new RV.

I installed both murals.

I also got and installed the same type of better compartment locks for all ten of the existing standard keyed ones.

If anyone need one or more of the standard keyed replacement locks they are free.

I have at least 10 and maybe 20.

Pictures:

Attachments

• 20231223_144032.jpg
    20231223_144032.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231223_144440.jpg
    20231223_144440.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231223_144407.jpg
    20231223_144407.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231223_171623.jpg
    20231223_171623.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231223_145237.jpg
    20231223_145237.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 7
I got a couple more things done on the new RV.

I installed both murals.

I also got and installed the same type of better compartment locks for all ten of the existing standard keyed ones.

If anyone need one or more of the standard keyed replacement locks they are free.

I have at least 10 and maybe 20.

Pictures:
Very nice!!

Thanks,

I have another framed print from Joe Kline that I like even better, but I did not have it in a high resolution file to produce the graphic.

It is called "Magic Carpet Ride"

Here is a picture from my phone just now.

The graphics company in Phoenix also did my Huey on the back of the stacker trailer I sold.

They added the nose art from my unit in Viet Nam. The 7th Armored Squadron of the 1st Air Cavalry. Not part of the 1st Cavalry Division but rather part of the 164th Aviation Group.

Attachments

• 20231223_185108 - Copy.jpg
    20231223_185108 - Copy.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Bill,

Now we will be able to ID you.

The one on the end of the trailer, 005.JPG above, has always been my favorite. If you can find a way to apply & still open storage doors, would love to see it on the back of the Class C.

Jennifer

Yesterday, I started to drive down to Quartzsite in the jeep to rescue a few more things that I had forgot about salvaging. Maybe my old Flight Jacket, probably little chance of that.

The sending units for the TPMS were probably OK. I thought that there might more things that were buried under the collapsed roof.

The ten stainless steel compartment locks are keyed uniquely so they would not be any good for anyone without the keys. I have already replaced the locks on the replacement RV but I thought they could be used as give away gifts for anyone wanting to protect any special compartment

My replacement RV has a small dent in the front bumper and I thought about swapping it for the old one.

Last week, I called the fellow at the tow yard to rescue my personalized license plates and a macerator pump that was in a lower compartment on the drivers side.

I called the tow yard just as i was pulling out of the driveway and discovered that the salvage auction company has already picked it up last week and took it to Phoenix.

I am glad that I called and saved me a trip.

I found out that the insurance investigator was scheduled to inspect the RV today.

Paul, from Fridge Defender wants to be able to do some scientific tests on the boiler of the refer to determine its condition, including pressure testing and X-Ray.

I called Samantha, my claim adjuster to ask for them to preserve the boiler for Paul.

He is planning on doing a very detailed analysis of the fire for a article that he is writing

Last edited:
He is planning on doing a very detailed analysis of the fire for a article that he is writing
It would be interesting to know how the fire started. If it started in the refrigerator compartment, was it a boiler issue or a gas related failure. My absorption refrigerator sits over my gas furnace, a comforting concept.

Last edited:
Update:

Progressive has been very fair in their handling of my insurance claim.

I have been working with a lady named Samanta, and she has been very helpful and professional in working thru this with me.

My policy was written for a stated amount based on the purchase price.

They paid me the full amount of the price plus the taxes and other costs at the time of sale.

I probably should have increased the amount of coverage to include the modifications that I made after the purchase. The net loss after the payment for the RV alone is about 20K in improvements and contents.

I am happy with the decision.

I also got a bill from the Fire Department today and Samanta said to send it and the insurance would cover it.

I filled out the back of the title and she is sending me a Fedex package. I will place the title and keys in the package, send it and they will pay the claim into my checking account by direct transfer.

We are still working on getting Paul the boiler so that he can run several scientific tests on it.

The investigator for Progressive has ruled the cause as inconclusive.

I really do not want to drive eight hours to Phoenix and back, so if anyone is in or coming thru Phoenix wants to get paid to bring the small boiler to Quartzsite please call, message or email me.

I will arrange to have it released to whoever can get it. It is worth a couple hundred dollars to me to not go there.

Attachments

• Boiler.jpg
    Boiler.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 6
Bill, how much was the bill from the fire dept?
I was on a fire dept for nearly 20 years and at least up inn New England, no one ever got a bill. Never heard of it. Is it standard out west?

I am so glad that I posted this about someone in Phoenix bringing it to Q.

Dan and Jennifer, (Ferfer) are going to get it and we will make sure that it is safe to transport.

If possible, with gloves and a mask, see if they can dig for your jacket. I still feel that a real leather jacket may have endured the fire with stuff falling onto it. There are people who specialize in restoring flight jackets, replacing the fabric portions at the wrist and neck, etc.

Just a thought, knowing that is one of the most "valuable" objects in the RV.

Charles

Well I had progressive on my JEEP last June when the hail hailed and I picked up about 7,500 worth of dents... Progressive swiftly approved the initial claim but only about half the damage.. Then the Body shop called with supplemental and it took Progressive NINE days to get an adjuster out (They have adjusters at that body shop every day since the hail storm till now (Save Sat, Sun and Holidays) but those were all assigned to other cars.. So that is nine extra days (About 300 dollars) in car rental 9 extra days horseshoed into a Toyta Camrey with all those annoying driver assists (I do like the back up camera but most of the other stuff was annoying) And a lousy FM radio (It's am/fm and electronic media but the FM radio drops out on my favorite station. the JEEP has a better antenna so it holds the 100,000 mw (100 Watt) local station better RETRO the music radio forgot and Doppler Dale's weather (WMRP-LP Mundy Twp MI.. Owner and Dale are both folks I frequently lunch with)
I switched to Citizens.. a dollar more a month but if I'd have had Citizens when the hail hit (I did not know this when I switched) The body shop is the adjuster (They are Direct) So I just hand 'em my keys. Hike to the Rental office and they fix my car.

Good to hear - I switched from 20+ years at GEICO last year. Geico was great on my 1 totaled and 1 highly damaged claim.

Hope I don't have to use Progressive.
I probably should have increased the amount of coverage to include the modifications that I made after the purchase. The net loss after the payment for the RV alone is about 20K in improvements and contents.

Yeah - I have declared value on my classic cars. The shortfall sucks...

If possible, with gloves and a mask, see if they can dig for your jacket. I still feel that a real leather jacket may have endured the fire with stuff falling onto it.

I am a bit of a family archivist. I have my grandpa and father's service medals. Even a damaged flight jacket would be worth having and setting up in a shadow box.

Who knows, great grandkids may develop family lore around you bailing out of a flaming Huey and saving your crew - LOL...

It would be interesting to know how the fire started. If it started in the refrigerator compartment, was it a boiler issue or a gas related failure. My absorption refrigerator sits over my gas furnace, a comforting concept.

Paul is at the salvage yard in Phoenix right now recovering the boiler from the Refridgerator.

He looked and the flight jacket is not there.

He did find one of the laptops and will save it because I might get the hard drive out and recover the files,

My 12 gauge shotgun is still there, which surprised me.

Most here have read MANY helpful posts from from Bill Waugh, aka HueyPilotVN. First - BILL IS FINE. He just called to let me know that, last night, he set up camp in his motorhome at the Quartzsite RV show, and this morning he disconnected his Jeep to take a drive. When he was several miles away, he saw a huge plume of black smoke coming from the RV show area, so he drove back, only to find that it was HIS motorhome that had caught fire. Fortunately, he had left his door unlocked, and a citizen and a police officer were able to rescue his two dogs. The cause of the fire was his LP fridge - what a shocker! Bill had quite a solar and lithium battery setup in his RV, and he often ran his fridge on AC power, but late last night he switched over to LP, since he was boondocking. No idea if that had anything to do with the fire.

For those of you who don't know Bill, he's been an avid RVer for many years, and he's a damn nice guy and a very generous man. In fact, he told me that he had several "give aways" in his RV for anyone who wanted them, but all of it was lost in the fire. He said he'd post more about the incident as soon as he gets home and buys another computer. He was not a full-timer, so while he lost everything in the RV, he still has a home.

His attitude about the whole thing is much better than I think mine would be under the same circumstances, and he's most grateful to the people who saved his dogs. I couldn't agree more. He told me that it was okay for me to let all of you know about this event.

Kev
That's awful, A similar thing happened to me - I'd just had a load of victron and lithium batteries fitted and a complete rewire to make it 230v for the UK (I live in the uk)

The fire officer said it was the victron kit - I don't trust Victron !

worst of it is my RV went up with my mates RV parked next to it - so it took both of us to nothing. We were fortunate the it didn't take our house down - but it did write off my car, tina's car and may mates car. and the horse box.

Our saving grace is that no one was in the RV's at the time - Im so sorry for your loss - its tragic what happened to you pets x - you can replace the RV its just metal and wood !

BTW - the first photo is my front alloy wheel that melted onto my driveway - just 2 foot away in the step was Tina's bottle of Bacardi which was completely in tact

Good luck with everything

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0441.png
    IMG_0441.png
    694.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0476.jpeg
    IMG_0476.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0472.jpeg
    IMG_0472.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0400.png
    IMG_0400.png
    642 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0399.png
    IMG_0399.png
    617.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0398.png
    IMG_0398.png
    608.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3030.jpeg
    IMG_3030.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 9
  • new system.jpeg
    new system.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 10
That's awful, A similar thing happened to me - I'd just had a load of victron and lithium batteries fitted and a complete rewire to make it 230v for the UK (I live in the uk)

The fire officer said it was the victron kit - I don't trust Victron !

worst of it is my RV went up with my mates RV parked next to it - so it took both of us to nothing. We were fortunate the it didn't take our house down - but it did write off my car, tina's car and may mates car. and the horse box.

Our saving grace is that no one was in the RV's at the time - Im so sorry for your loss - its tragic what happened to you pets x - you can replace the RV its just metal and wood !

BTW - the first photo is my front alloy wheel that melted onto my driveway - just 2 foot away in the step was Tina's bottle of Bacardi which was completely in tact

Good luck with everything
I'm sorry - ive just read your post again and your dogs were ok - thank goodness for that :)

That was a very intense fire.

I actually had three 300 A/H Lithium batteries in the rear storage compartment that survived the fire.

The batteries were not the cause of my fire.

Subject to a detailed investigation of the refrigerator boiler we will discover the true cause of my fire.

What type of Victron?

-Don- Reno, NV
I think it was the victron Quattro 5000 charger inverter 240v connected to 4 lithium batteries and 9 solar panels on the roof. the entire rv was re-wired including a new fridge, new microwave, all new log valves and connections. All the blown air was removed and replaced with a webasto diesel heating and solar and electric water heater.

It was a very comprehensive refit to bring it up to date so we could full time in it in the UK - but the workmanship was really really poor. in fact it was going to go back to them the following week just before it went ups in flames.

So angry with this guy and as with. all these things he went out of business soon after!!! our total claim in the end was over £400,000!

but the money doesn't replace the hard work and dedication I put into RRV!

hay ho that's life - and now hopefully I can come over to the USA and buy a new rv to pamper :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChrispyjCSLT22
Back
Top Bottom