Safe overnight Nashville, Walmart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know if this is common practice cross the country, but Wal*Mart parking lots within a 100 miles radius of us host "RV shows" in their parking lots. They're actually dealer shows - one or more dealers employ sales guys who spend full time moving RVs between different WMs in the area. They stay a week or two, then move on to the next.

You'd think this would be a good reason for those sales staff to overnight in their own RV. But, when I talked with one sales guy, he emphatically told me he stays at a nearby motel.

If you don't like Yahoo groups, try this site....it lists Wal-Marts that individuals report do NOT allow overnighting parking. But be aware that it's not always accurate. And often when there are signs posting against overnight parking, overnighting is allowed.

Flagstaff, Arizona - has No Overnight Parkings signs but we've stayed there and have seen others do so. But it's always been in the winter when there weren't tons of tourists around. They may enforce it more during the busy season.

Wendy

Tracy, CA - close to I-205. Don't recall seeing signs, and I always see RVs there. Some are overnighting, others seem to think it's a campground.

I have to agree with gary in this one. Wal marts are as safe as any campground as long as they are in a decent neighborhood. I have done that 2 times, and no problems so far. Use your judgement on location, what kind of cars are driving around, is there nice subdivisions or homes in the area, if you see too many police cars patroling around you know is a problematic area, etc...

Sometimes industrial, comercial or downtown areas are the home of lots of "late night illegal buisness" including homeless and you know what else. It is a gamble no matter what, but acording to statistics, you should be ok.

I won't be avoiding any towns or shopping at any WM store because they have "No overnight parking" signs.
Hi Tom, I'd defend the right of property owners to post their properties for their own reasons, but I'm 100% against minions forcing property owners to post or limit the use of their properties in their self interest of gouging. This was the case in Nova Scotia, the Province didn't push this it was the federation of Independent Business Assoc. spurred on by their sub branch "COANS" (Campground owners Assoc of NS)
What happened was the Prov wouldn't push the issue (too expensive) so the minions took it on their own to convince major retail business that they were breaking the law by letting RV's park overnight. Net result of this was a loss of RV traffic to NS to the tune of 20% per year compared to the previous year. Now after 20% per year per year, that is a lot of tourist $$$ to lose so the general population has to make up for it in taxes. Camp grounds here don't open until July 1 and close after Labor day weekend so with stupidity like that wheres a tourist going to park if they arrive before or after those dates.
Perhaps you could just mention the town or area that has the ban so we know what to expect if we pass that way (or we can at least put it in a file for future reference).
Steve In my case the Tourism Act is not a By-Law, it is a regulatory act that covers the whole   Province "every town and city" however as said  above it is being corrected. Instead of removing signs town by town our legislative rep (MLA) informed me yesterday that they are doing as I asked by tackling the problem at the head offices of each large retailer. Hopefully all restrictive signs will have been removed by next season. It's still messed up in one city in that a New Wal-Mart has the sign quoting the act that it is against the law to overnight,  and another business directly across the road from it has a Welcome RV's & Dump site available sign. It doesn't get any more ridiculous than that does it. There are plans to revise and re-word that section of the Act and that has been my pet peeve from the start.  It was kind of funny though when I wrote to every member of the Legislative Assembly to ask them "Who was Lying, Wal Mart or them" man did that ever open a hornets nest, then the signs started coming down.
I have no problem with Wal-Mart putting RV restrictive signage for their own reasons.  Please remember at the start of this in 2006 it was considered illegal (but not enforced) for my brother to let me park in his yard overnight while visiting. It's kind of funny but most Police don't even know or care about it as they are not empowered by the Prov to enforce it. Also it is of legal opinion that the Province does not have the authority to enforce it. So in summation we have
an illegal law that makes land owners law breakers if they allow RV's to overnight on their property all brought on by camp ground owners who have decided to declare war on their prospective customers. What a way to run a Prov.
Now don't get me all wrong in regards to CG owners, I have also lobbied for public funding to help the Camp grounds  upgrade to a competitive status. Some are in dire straits from waiting for the law to force customers into their establishments.
Geez I'm long winded when I get going  ;D
Cheers
Willey

I'd defend the right of property owners to post their properties for their own reasons, but I'm 100% against minions forcing property owners to post or limit the use of their properties in their self interest of gouging.

No disagreement.

One of the safest parking lot overniters that we have spent was in a lot that didn't look very good. We were visiting friends in Pasadena, CA but couldn't park on the streets near them because of the strong pitch of the roads. Driving around with them on the way to our restaurant destination on Rosemead, we came across the Temple City K-Mart. Almost kind of scary. I went inside to ask about overnite parking and was told it was illegal by city ordinance. As I went back to the coach, I saw a police car patrolling the lot and asked if he could suggest a campground or someplace safe to park. He said to stay where I was at, he would keep an eye on us until his shift ended at midnite and notified his desk sergeant to have the next shift watch us also. Worked out well and we didn't get ticketed for parking ;D

Hey!  We could run two safety tests at the same time -- let's have the next rally at a Mexican Wal-Mart!    ::)

Wendy,

FYI, Flagstaff does sometimes enforce the rules. We stayed at Sams Club in Flagstaff with no prolems, but it was late and snowed that evening.

ken

All this Wal-Mart discussion so I ended up in a SuperCenter in Elkton, MD tonight. ;D

Now that you mentioned firearms. What are the laws about firearms. Can you keep firearms in your coach? Is it consider like a house? where you can keep firearms and rifles without consealed weapons license? And is it different in other states?

Laws vary by state. Try using the Advanced search link above to find prior discussions. Remember that, if you miss, you might hit a neighbor or some other innocent bystander, and you'll be in deep doo doo.

Now that you mentioned firearms. What are the laws about firearms. Can you keep firearms in your coach? Is it consider like a house? where you can keep firearms and rifles without consealed weapons license? And is it different in other states?

Busa, there are somewhere near 25,000 laws, governing firearms, in this country. There are Federal, State, county and city laws. There are Federal, state, county and city agency laws, and no two states are alike. You have to study the specific location you are going to be in, to learn the laws, there. It is particularly important if you plan on traveling with a firearm.

You can reduce the size of the job, by narrowing the search to your area of interest. For example, taking note of the subject of this thread, your interest would be in personal security. For best information on that, search the internet. I suggest packing.org or http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and hasten to note that i haven't been able to pick up packing.org, lately.

For discussions on the adviseability, ethics, and a few technique commentaries, of carrying a gun in your RV, there are a number of simply riveting threads on the RV Forum, that can be found with a search, here.

For preliminary responses,

Can you keep firearms in your coach?
  Yes, in most areas. Not in all areas, however, so check it out. When I am going to a state where I have not been, recently, I call the State Police office, in the capital, and ask. They are very forthcoming and helpful. Write your questions down, first, so you don't forget to ask one of them.

Is it consider like a house?
  This is a state law issue. In most states that I know about, an RV is a residence (like a house) and residential rules apply. In my state, your tent, out in the boonies, is a residence. May not be the same in all states, so check it out.

where you can keep firearms and rifles without consealed weapons license?
  Check the concealed weapons laws in whatever state you are going to - or through.

And is it different in other states?
Yep! No two alike. Some similarities, but "close" is not good enough. Cross your T's and dot your I's.

For a starter education, I suggest taking a Concealed Carry License course in your home state or a nearby state. Normally, these courses are 8 hours. May be split into two four hour evenings. Doesn't matter that you may not be interested in carrying concealed. Those courses are good basic courses in firearms law, dealing specifically with personal defense and personal security. You don't have to apply for the license, just because you took the course.

Ray D  ;D

And have the firearm ready, but don't answer the door to anyone

Tom, I'm shocked! :eek:

Here we are in a thread that deals with personal security and no one has mentioned firearms - until now! You surprised me!  ???

Am I in trouble, yet?  :-\

Tom, I'll go back to my corner and behave, now.  :(  ::)

Ray D  :D  :D ;D

LOL Ray, maybe I'm the one who should go hide in the corner  ;D

For the record, we don't carry firearms in our coach and don't have any at home. I use a slingshot for long distance and a tire iron for short range. I can also do a good imitation of a Welsh Corgi yapping at the door.

Gee, Tom! This is getting worse!  ::)

In many jurisdictions, a sling shot falls under the same laws as firearms. Welcome to the firearms club!  ;D

The tire iron is slightly superior to a gun, in close quarters - like in an RV. A classroom training technique pits gun against knife in a classroom that is larger than 21' and two go at it. Knife wins or draws, nearly every time. It's called the Tuellar Drill. A blunt instrument can be substituted - tire iron. Same result. The knife or iron is padded and the gun shoots cigarette filters. Still hurts, and leaves a bruise. The purpose is to disavow the happy-go-lucky gunman of any idea that he is always superior.  :-\

I've been bruised, bruised a few, and have been completely disavowed of the idea that a gun is always superior in close quarters. You wouldn't guess that a cigarette filter could raise such a welt!  :eek:

So, take your tire iron into your RV and sleep well. You are armed!  :eek:

Ray D  ;D

By the way, a formidable dog is in his element, in close quarters. Dog beats gun and just about any other weapon, there!

Back
Top Bottom