safe space heater for 28 ft. TT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogart

Hi, all,

We'd like to get an effective, safe electric space heater to warm up our Jayco 27BH.  It's ~28 feet long with no slides, so not vast (relatively speaking).  We're planning a ~3 week trip this winter in the US SE, nowhere freezing, but, you know, cold enough to want heat and as we're planning on full hookups (30 amps, most places we're going) we figure this will be a good alternative to the propane furnace (either as well as or instead of to save propane).  Can anyone recommend a safe electric space heater?  We've got a preschooler and dogs, so would like something that can be touched and knocked over (automatic shutoff) without hurting or endangering ... anyone.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
-- bogart

I have 2 of the $16 ones from Wally World and they do an excellent job.  They have a fan and a thermostat and are small in size. This I thought was important because they don't take up a lot of space or tip over easily.  As you are probably aware most all of the ceramic heaters are 1500 watts no matter what the size of the unit is.  BTW you can only run 1 on a 30 amp service.  I made an adapter that hooks to the 50 amp service and when it is real cold I let it run in the trailer basement to keep the water lines from freezing. I hope this helps.

We have a small one (about 8" cube) that we got at either Ace or True Value on sale. It works fine to warm up the half of the motorhome it's pointed at and we used it last year at my parent's in central Oregon when it was 8 degrees. We got the small, cube-shaped one because we figured the dog would tip over anything tall.

HTH
Wendy

We have used the one called "Big Heat" for 30 years.  If it tips over it stops and it runs at either 1200 or 1500 watts.  The best part is it's small only about 10" by 7" by 8" in size.  Google Big Heat.  Camping World probably has them.

JerryF

Attachments

• Big Heat.jpg
    Big Heat.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 24
I bought a VORNADO for our enclosed porch at home. Its about 15Lx10Wx7H, it gets rather toasty using that little guy.

Hi bogart

Any heater will work so you want size, convenience, and quietness to be your guide.  I have one of these, although I just sent it back for warranty work because the blower wheel was really badly out of balance:

http://www.morelectricheating.com/products/MARINE%20AND%20RV/MARINE@@2fRV%20HFC%20SERIES%20PORTABLE%20DESKTOP%20HEATER.aspx

I like it because it is small, light, and quiet, and shaped in such a way that it can't tip over.  I put it on the table in my bedroom, which works well.

I don't know where you're heading but I wouldn't be in a big hurry to get to the southeast in the next few days.

Here in Woodstock, GA the temperatures are expected to be a high of 35 and a low of 21 Sunday. Monday will be even colder with a high of 28 and a low of 15 with winds to 40 mph and a wind chill in the single digits. Oh, and a possibility of Snow.

It's been pretty cold here the last week or so. Above freezing during the day but in the low 20's to teens at night.

I picked up a little Comfort Zone at Tractor Supply for $20 to replace my Holmes Accutemp that the thermostat quit working on.  The Comfort Zone is much hotter and has a manual thermostat.  Haven't tried it for a long period yet but think it will do the job.  My MoHo was at 41 the other day and it took about 15 minutes to move it to 43, if I start at about 65 I'm sure it will keep my MoHo at a comfortable level.  I'm just up I85 at the SC/GA line so we have the same climate.  Good luck

We are able to run two of the 1500 watt heaters on a 30 amp service, however they have to be plugged into two separate circuits in the trailer.  We have to be sure to turn off the one in the bathroom before my wife turns on her hair dryer or that circuit breaker will trip.  Same thing for the microwave.  After a while we learned how to get the most out of the heaters and have saved a lot of propane.  Also, we don't use any extension cords.

Thanks all.  We bought a Honeywell and so far we like it -- haven't put it to the real test yet.  The one thing we don't like is the shortness of the cord (15"?).  I do realize a longer cord means higher likelihood of blown fuse, etc.; we'll have to see how it fits in the TT. 

Thanks for the heads-up on the weather ... we are aware of the cold.  Some of our planned trip involves meeting up with family who live near where we're heading, so there are alternatives (and reasons for at least setting out), but if it's too dreadful when we're planning to go -- still a bit early to say -- we'll probably cut our trip short. 

-- bogart

bogart said:
Thanks all.  We bought a Honeywell and so far we like it -- haven't put it to the real test yet.  The one thing we don't like is the shortness of the cord (15"?).  I do realize a longer cord means higher likelihood of blown fuse, etc.; we'll have to see how it fits in the TT.
At 1500 watts max, you should be able to safely use a heavy duty applicance ext. cord if need be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom