Safe to walk on roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maas29

Hi all,  I'm a new TT owner and have returned from my first trip in my 2015 Gulfbreeze 28BBS.  I see many TTs with a ladder mounted on the rear for access to the roof but mine did not come with a ladder so I was wondering if my roof was strong enough to access the roof for cleaning or repairs.  Before is purchase and mount a ladder, I thought to seek advice here.  Thanks, Mike

The manufacturer does not list a walk on roof so you should be careful.
Also where would you attach the ladder? How do you know where the roof or wall studs are?

The roof will surely be strong enough for an adult, up to say 225 lbs or so. More if cautious. Modern rubber, TPO and fiberglass roofs all have a luan plywood backer (substrate) under the outer skin.

If your weight is at the upper end, just watch for signs that the roof is flexing noticeably. If so, cut some 12"x12" 1/4" plywood squares to act as snowshoe-like stepping pads to help spread the weight. Move them around and stand/kneel on those instead of directly on the roof surface.

Installing a ladder is often not a simple thing - you have to find, or add, backing material behind the end cap and roof to provide a place to screw or bolt the ladder mounts. And those ladders aren't all that useful anyway, difficult to climb straight up and then clamber over the edge. I would suggest either a tall step ladder or extension ladder.  If you need to take it with you, a collapsible (telescoping) ladder works well and can be used anywhere around the RV.
http://thediyoutlet.com/products/16-2ft-a-shape-aluminum-telescopic-extension-ladder?gclid=Cj0KEQjwl_6oBRDHxNGz6ueJufMBEiQAvm_k_gTzWG7gAkwA4IO_D_S2oLh7HTURAlo0vozy0-1VZqwaAq798P8HAQ

Much easier to buy a ten foot stepladder and use it (at home) to access the roof and work on the roof from the ladder when the issue is within 2-3' of the edge. I bought a heavier rated ladder and it makes most projects much easier and safer.

Ok...thanks guys.  I never considered finding studs for the ladder so I guess that saved me time and money.  I have a 10 ft step ladder and I'll use 2'X4' sheets of plywood to get around on the roof.  I did like the idea of the plywood "snowshoes" but my wife pointed out to me that my luck on roofs is not that good.  Thanks or the input...Mike

COMer said:
Much easier to buy a ten foot stepladder and use it (at home) to access the roof and work on the roof from the ladder when the issue is within 2-3' of the edge. I bought a heavier rated ladder and it makes most projects much easier and safer.

The ladder should be at least 3-5 feet longer than the roof is high

I have owned two trailers..one was a PUP,  the thin aluminum roof could support a small child,,But not much more

The Small TT likely sould have supported 200-300 pounds no problem but frankly was too small to walk on.

The Class A I am sitting in...A couple years ago Shawn from Easton Electric Motors,,Port Huron, MI..and I were both up on the roof replacing a burned out blower motor... Shawn is no small dude.... And I'm over 300 pounds (Shawn 250-300)  I have been all over that roof.

NOTE:  RV roof ladders..  the kind bolted to the RV.

I can not climb those.. I'll pull it right off your rig if I try.

The convertable step/extension Ladder from Sears I carry..NO problem at all,, Rated250 means tested to 500.

I've used the plywood sheets to spread out my weight and they do work well.  I used 4' x 4' and just pushed it ahead of where I wanted to be.  Probably spreads the weight over several studs.

We had a lite weight, aluminum structured travel trailer and were advised by the dealer to not walk on the roof unless using boards to support the weight.  I extended long boards over several studs like COMer and moved around by standing or kneeling on one board and moving the other.  I used 1" x 10" boards that were 3 or 4 feet long. 

The old galvanized metal roofs were the dangerous ones - just a thin metal skin over wide-spaced cross members. EPDM rubber and TPO roofs require a substrate, so typically have 1/4" luan plywood underneath. Not super strong, but sufficient to support 200 lbs or so for occasional access. Ditto for all the fiberglass and aluminum roofs I have encountered - they all are laid over a substrate.

Back
Top Bottom