Safe transportation of gas for generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flakeyskamper

Hi. I have seen many warnings on not filling gas containers in truck beds with plastic liners.  I have a plastic liner. And I hope to put a 25 gal gas tank in the truck bed to run the generator when boondocking. It will be too heavy for me to lift back into the truck after filling safely on the ground. Is there any way to fill and dispense the gas safely in the truck bed? I don't have the tank yet, would metal be better than plastic? Can some kind of ground to the truck frame eliminate static sparks? All my internet searches gave no help on this subject, But I hope there is a way. Any ideas?

I know i see alot of tanks used for Farm or construction that have a pump to fill other machinery that rides up next to the cab in the back of a truck.  They are all metal that i've seen.  I know this isn't what your looking for but its similar to what your wanting to do.  good luck.

harlee79 said:
I know i see alot of tanks used for Farm or construction that have a pump to fill other machinery that rides up next to the cab in the back of a truck.

I would guess that most, if not all, of these tanks are for diesel rather than gasoline. Diesel doesn't have the high potential for ignition via a static spark that gasoline does.

Richard

Do you really need 25 gallons between runs to town?  Dry camping in the keys I use about 5 gallons a week.

I use two of the 2&1/2 gallon cans because they are easier to handle than the five gallon cans, but lots of folks use a couple of five gallon cans.  A few people use the 6 gallon extended run tanks.
http://www.wisesales.com/generators-1/generator-accessories/generator-extended-run-fuel-tanks.html

Joel

If I was sure I needed that amount of fuel in a bed tank like that, I'd just make sure I grounded AND bonded the tank while filling. A relatively small gauge wire with an alligator clip on one end with the other end connected to bare metal on the tank will work for grounding. Clip the wire temporarily to a metal  post, or other object which is in direct contact with earth at the pump. The hose nozzle has a bonding wire already embedded in it and the nozzle.

Bonding is connecting the tank and pump together electrically. Grounding is connecting the tank to earth electrically. In general terms the pump bonding system will also ground, but strange things can happen, so you're own grounding wire doesn't hurt. When fueling, the nozzle should always be touching the metal of the tank filler spout. This allows all electricity to pass harmlessly. Trouble arises when you are filling a plastic container on a plastic bed liner, there is no connection to ground for electricity to travel.

That's the nickel tour of fueling for today.

Ken

The major issue with the plastic bed is some plastics .. If you spill.. They do not much tolerate gas (it just eats them up).

The other danger was addressed by the post above mine. (Ken's) so I won't say more than "Seconded".

flakeyskamper said:
Thank you Ken for the info. So the easier to find/cheaper plastic tanks are not viable at all?

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been in Canada on the boat and Verizon which I previously always recommended, had "technical difficulties" with both my mifi and my smart phone rendering both useless until I returned to the US.

Plastic tanks are difficult to bond and ground due to the unpredictable path to ground. Since the plastic itself will not conduct the  electricity it would typically follow contamination on the container when static electricity builds up. Contamination could be previously spilled fuel on the outside of the container and wiped off, minute amounts of metal or other debris when something was rubbed against it etc. Recommended practice is to always remove the plastic tank from the vehicle and place it on the ground (concrete) when filling to maxmize path to ground and minimize damage if a spark should ignite the fuel, so large plastic tanks are generally impractical for gasoline. Most plastic tanks are specifically advertised as water tanks or diesel fuel tanks because of the static electricity problem.  Not that it can't be done, with electrical path provided in the tank and a bonding connection in the filler. Tanks specifically made for gasoline will have some type of grounding bonding system and the price will reflect that.

I also would just do a 2nd tank as Hanr suggests. You not only have to convince yourself what you install is safe, but also the person running the register at the gas station. I have seen them kill the pump and come out questioning what someone is filling. If they think it is a hazard, at least in WA state, some won't let you fill it. in OR I think you would also have problems, there you can't do your own filling. Just some other things to think about.

I don't know where you live, but in many states it's illegal to put a tank for gasoline in the bed of a truck that is not manufactured into the vehicle, for all the reasons mentioned above.  Diesel is a different animal.  It's not worth the danger associated with plastic tanks and gasoline sitting on a plastic bed liner.

Thank you bucks2, Mavaric, and SargeW for the advice.I am convinced, I will use 5 gal cans filled on the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ladygadget
Back
Top Bottom