Safety - visual check before driving away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R1Kirby said:
I stopped in Milton Florida for lunch. After I was back on the road again I found that someone had pulled the pin from my tow bar. I damn near lost the car. My friend's 5 wheel came donw on his truck because someone pulled his pin. Now I always always do a visual check before moving my motorhome. It's much better to be safe than sorry......There are just too many idiots out there who think it's funny to do these stupid things.
See, now that's the kind of vandalism I've heard the occasional story about.  Just one of those is enough to make me want to check out locks and do a visual check before I drive off even if just two minute stop at a rest stop and no one is around.

Radio amateurs who visit hill tops in the USA have stated you had best make sure the hut padlock is locked to the open door.  Otherwise someone will see your vehicle inside the now unlocked gate, walk up to the hut, which frequently doesn't have a few of the gate, and quickly slam the door and lock you in.

When I used a TT I felt the wheel bearing covers to see if they were heating up and gave TT a quick look over all over. Once in a while checked the spare. It almost came off one time, someone 'screwed' with it for fun.

I lock everything I can. People seem to be getting nastier every day that goes by. Overcrowded, overeheated, fed a bad diet, peak oil, poor job prospects, on and on. Nowadays on must take cautions at every turn.

Retired CSIGuy said:
Checklist is great but most fall out of favor after a while.  "Two-man rule" is always the best....have your sig. other do the walkaround with you.  ALWAYS walk it twice, then check lights and brakes.  Be sure to include all of your hitch assembly in your final.

You sound like a diver or base jumper.

Cities tend to give a low priority to arresting vandals (even though their damage can easily be on the felony level), especially in these craptastic economic times.  I've come down the street where I live, and usually once or twice a year, every single car parked had its windows smashed in.

Here in Austin, everything gets a lock on it with regards to towing, as well as getting an inspection.  The anti-car types here consider it a coup when they manage to yank a hitch pin, open a tow lever, or flip a fifth wheel's jaws open.  People also tend to have locking lug nuts on everything.

Another example is a RV park I went to a couple months back.  I asked if people were removing the wheels from their TTs for security.  Found it wasn't the owners who put the RVs on blocks...

Another check..

Didn't see this mentioned (although someone mentioned wheel bearing caps) I also put a hand on each tire when we stop for fuel or rest stop while doing my "walk around"... 

Caught a few new ideas here as well, thanks guys!

1joester2 said:
Mental checklist (no toad, RV only: all lights on including 4 ways, engine running):
1.  Water Heater off (hand near heater to detect heat if not audibly on)
2.  Storage door closed and locked (drivers side center compartment)
3.  Antenna down
4.  Tire check, rear drivers side
5.  Water fill door closed, City fill plug present (lanyard broke, and cap fell off a while back so I have a home made one now)
6.  Left side look back (glance at whole side for anything out of the ordinary including underneath)
7.  Light check left side, rear, right side
8.  Storage door closed and locked (rear most door)
9.  Stove vent closed and latched
10.  Storage door closed and locked (small compartment for water hose ect.)
11.  Tire check right rear
12.  Storage door closed and locked (just behind entry door)
13.  Propane door closed and latched
14.  Tire check, right front
15.  Right side look back (glance at whole side for anything out of the ordinary including underneath)
16.  light check Front
17.  Tire check, left front
This puts me back to the drivers door where I started. During the whole check I listen to the various sounds from the RV for anything weird or out of place. I audibly count them off as I check them and will repeat if my count is off.

My older brother and I spilled the beans about 10 years later at Christmas when we were gathered for dinner.

I always do a head count. Every time.

might wanna add: check the fuel gage, and all the other gages for that matter...

I do a walk around most anytime I've stopped on the road while traveling, it's just good to do to catch a bulb out, check the hitch if you have a trailer, the inside dual wheel pressure if you don't have a monitoring device, put my hand up to the refrigerator vent to check for heat from the unit being on, etc..  Thankfully, vandalism hasn't been a problem.

ceemike said:
Ok, ok, count the beers & the wives, just to be safe.  ;D ;D

More than one beer......OK......more than one wife......problem.

Only one wife.......OK......only one beer.......problem!!!!

;D

Mike

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom