Salvage Titled MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micro04

Looking at maybe buying a pusher MH that has 43K on it. It needs some work done on the inside but all looks like a good winter project for me to work on. The floors seem solid but the wall in the master bedroom has water damage. Looks like just changing the wall panels would do the job. The basement looks solid. Now my question is at what point does an insurance company issue a salvage title to a MH. Does it have to be flooded or could they issue one based off of roof leaking damage?? The motor sounds strong the gen set needs a voltage regulator ( I think ). It runs great when you hold the start button but shuts off when released. I look at the site all the time and get hints and this site has helped in the past. So thought I would get your advise on this one.

Thanks in advance

water damge in the walls will likely need new support members. as far as a salvage title, I would suspect it would have to be a total loss. JMHO

I think that salvage title criteria will vary by the state issuing the title. I'd suggest that you go to your state's DMV website and research it.

If the insurance company decides the vehicle is a total loss and pays off the owner, they sell it to a salvage yard with a "salvage" title. Details will vary by state title laws, but the gist of it is that the decision is monetary and not based on any particular form of damage.

In some states, the words "salvage" are merely stamped on the title document by the insurer, to clearly show that they are not selling a usable vehicle (a legal CYA). If someone buys it, fixes it up and a new title document is issued to them, the "salvage" may go away a far as the actual title document is concerned. Carfax or would have it in the database as a "sold for salvage", though. In other states, the "salvage" status is permanently part of the title and in the state records.

The MH was bought in OH and it was bought from a bank as a repo unit. Like I said I would have thought if the MH took on water the basement would be all muddy but I don't see that in the basement. All I see is normal looking dirt from not being cleaned. I just worry that with the elec if it took on water then the wires would start rusting through and breaking off and then I have major issues tracing them down. I am thinking that this MH was not drove much due to the miles and it being a 92 model. I think it may have set on a perm site. Thanks so far for your feedback

Looks like just changing the wall panels would do the job.

This may be easier said than done.  When you take factory tours and see how the sides are put on a motorhome, they're put on in big panels.  I would suggest looking into how they're put together before doing any cutting.  I know some people here on the RV Forum have done major reconstruction to their motorhomes, so perhaps one of them will speak up about what's involved in removing and installing wall panels.

Could this RV have been in an accident?  That's another reason they designate an RV as salvage, e.g. the cost to repair is beyond what it's worth.

ArdraF

Unless you are really knowledgeable about the construction, mechanics and electrical of a MH, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.  In California once a salvage title always a salvage title.  Being an x-insurance adjuster I bought a salvage title station wagon.  I knew what I was doing at the time and it was a good deal for me.  My wife hated the car.  I ended up selling it for more than I paid for it, but I had to do a lot of work on it, and I was lucky.

Hi

I've been in and around the car business for a long time.  A salavaged ttitle
on a car or truck is a can of worms 95% of the time.    This could be the same
for motor homes.  Plus the repair cost may be 10 times more on the MH.  One
may have to keep the MH  till one dies.  Some banks and insurance companies
won't touch a salvaged unit .  It can be traced back at times even if one gets a
clean title after the repair. 
Buying a good used MH is risky enough unless one has deep pockets.
Good luck. :)

Fred from Pasco, Wa.

A salvage title typically means at some point in the vehicle?s history the car has been claimed a total loss by an insurance company because of an accident or flood damage. It can even happen in some states if it?s a recovered stolen vehicle ? so all pretty much not good things. Also, government agencies routinely test new vehicles, and cars sold after the government gets its use out of them are given a salvage title as well.

If you're going to try to get a new "normal" title in Ohio, check with your county courthouse.  Don't call; walk in.  Ohio is "funny" about titles.

Bob

Can that be done? I was always under the assumption that once a salvage always a salvage, even after repair.

In Georgia when you buy a salvage titled car whatever caused the car to be salvaged must be fixed and a state inspector has to come out to your site and inspect the car and then will give you the paper work to get the car back on the road. and it cost. the last time I did a car I think it was 100 to 150. He found something still wrong and instead of coming back the next day it took another 2 weeks before he came back out. To me it's wouldn't be worth it because of the title. and the title will always have salvage on the title, if you go to sell it , it's hard to do with that on the title

As you can see, there are a lot of wrinkles in the salvage title thing and each state has its own rules and requirements. Make sure you understand it well before you get your money on theline.

Thanks for everyones feedback on this. You have all made my decision clear. You all are thinking like I was but just wanted to make sure I was not jumping to a decision and might be missing out on something I thought I would be able to fix up. Thanks again.. This site has proven once again to be helpful.... Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom