Satelite setup issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat fowler

I have a 2001 Cruise Master, with a 2005 King Dome that I have owned for about 6 weeks. I contacted King Control and confirmed that the dome will work properly with Dish. I just received a Dish VIP211z receiver and it has no coaxial to tv, only HDMI and composite jacks. My switch box has only coaxial input. I assume I will need to purchase a new switch box ? Is this the simply answer or am I going to keep running into additional problems ? Thanks for any replies. Pat.

One relatively simple solution would be to connect the TV that is near the receiver using an HDMI cable (bypassing the switch box).  Then purchase an inexpensive modulator and feed the composite signals into it.  The output of the modulator will be on a coax which you can connect to your existing switchbox so all your other TVs can receive the signal. 

This is an example of a very inexpensive modulator (more sophisticated ones are available, also): http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-Corporation-CRF907R-Compact-Modulator/dp/B0014KKV7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386649458&sr=8-1&keywords=rf+modulator+for+tv

Thanks for the reply docj but my main problem is that nothing in my coach is anything but coaxial. The only piece of equipment I have that is not coaxial is the Vip211z and it has only hdmi and composite output, no coaxial. I have done some googling since posting the original and believe I can get a rca to coaxial patch cord and that should do the job. Thanks again, Pat.

If you just bought the 211Z new, you may be able to return/ exchange it for the 211K. The 211Z is the newer, slimmer streamlined model but it leaves out a lot of connections, including not being able to get OTA channels without buying something else.

I don't know how to post pics here but here's a pic of the backs of both the 211Z and 211Kwww.irv2.com/forums/f53/tailgater-182424-3.html#post1811443

Attachments

• 211z-back-diagram-lg.jpg
    211z-back-diagram-lg.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 21
  • 211k.jpg
    211k.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 21
Max99, thanks for the reply, I just got the 211z today from Amazon and I have thought about returning it as you suggest. I do like the small foot print and Dish says it is built to take the abuse of a life in a motorhome. Wither there is any real merit to that is probable debatable. Have to figure this out soon, thanks again, Pat.

pat fowler said:
Thanks for the reply docj but my main problem is that nothing in my coach is anything but coaxial. The only piece of equipment I have that is not coaxial is the Vip211z and it has only hdmi and composite output, no coaxial. I have done some googling since posting the original and believe I can get a rca to coaxial patch cord and that should do the job. Thanks again, Pat.

No, you can't get a RCA to coax patch cord, but you can modulate the RCA signal and send it down a coax!  That's exactly what I was trying to explain to you.  The signal on an RCA composite can't be directly put onto a coax.  Coax is intended to carry an RF (radio frequency) signal only the purpose of the modulator is to turn the signal on the RCA lead back to an RF signal so it can be sent down the coax and received by other TV's on an unused TV channel. 

Well, I sent the 211z back and ordered the 211k, that should simplify things. Thanks for all the input from everyone. Pat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iec-telecom
Back
Top Bottom