Satellite TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVTom75

We purchased Dish Receiver about two weeks ago, and have had nothing but problems. We are traveling and had the system installed in Hot Springs,Ar. Had to have the Dish people out twice in 2 days, could not get reception. We then moved onto Memphis,Tenn. Had the same problem,called Dish back out,and they changed out the receiver,worked o.k. for two days. Then moved to Tupelo,Ms. could not get local channels. Onto Mobile,Al. and Destin,Fl. Had to call Dish,but got local channels. We are now outside Tallahasse,Fl. same problem, no local channels (ABC,CBS,NBC) called Dish,could not resolve the problem . (We have a King Dome) Dish has two satalites 110-119. Can only rec. 110, which is Dish C.  Has anyone else had this problem? If so , how did you resolve the issue?

If you are only getting one satellite, the problem is the antenna (dome) and not the receiver. Dish probably can't help you much with that - they aren't the supplier of the King Dome and can't be expected to be experts in every brand of dome or dish.

When you move to a new area, if it's more than a few hundred miles away, your account has to be updated to receive locals in that area. You call Dish and give them a new "service address".

I'm not familiar with the King Dome, but does it have a button or switch to shift from 110 to 119 or is it automatic? What happens when you try to switch?  Can you display the signal strength (should be a menu option on the receiver)?

Gary, it is automatic. We had no problems in Mobile or Destin. One tech. said wait a few minutes when changing fro 110 to 119. We had Direct last year, had no problem.Dish, has been a major problem so for.

What is NOT automatic is your ability to get the local channels whenever you move. Local channels are usually only receivable within a couple of hundred miles of the location that Dish is aware of. Dish does not know where you are after each move, you have to call them and give them a new SERVICE ADDRESS. Your billing address should stay the same no matter where you are.

You may have a problem with either a receiver or the dome as well but you will have to try and narrow that down in order to get help. As Gary suggested, try and determine the signal strengths of the two satellites (or the currently tuned satellite) by using the menus for the receiver when you encounter the problem and noting the "before and after" channels you are trying to receive..... (Can your Dome receive two Satellite signals simultaneously or not? My understanding is NO but....)

You are likely unaware when changing satellites is necessary as this is usually taken care of by the receiver when a particular channel is selected. If the dish(dome) is capable of receiving both satellite signals at the same time, this is seamless.  If it is not, then a pause is certainly necessary should the dome antenna have to be moved to tune in a different satellite other than the one it is presently pointed at. I think this pause should be fairly short IF the needed change has been carried out at least once at the current location and the dome has not been turned off in between.

Does the dome not start to seek out the other satellite when needed?? Does the receiver not tell the dome to react?? I think these are the questions to answer to determine where your difficulty lies.

When I bought my current coach it had a Kingdome (2007 coach). When I had to manually work the Kingdome controls to get anything on Dish, I called King, and they told me that Dish had changed its protocols (that's what they said) and that I would need a $400+ upgrade to get Dish. For a while I used the Carryout for Dish's pay as you go. We finally decided to replace cable at home, and went with Direct, but we replaced the Kingdome with the Direct, SWM, version of the Winegard Trav'ler. For $300 or so we can, should we wish to go back to Dish someday, replace a portion of the Trav'ler to work with Dish, then would be able to switch between them at will (with a bit of work, of course).

So your Kingdome might be part of (or all of) the problem. Call King for the latest info on your model of Kingdome.

I hate my Kingdome! In fact I hate it so much I replaced mine with a Travler. Having said that, when changing channels that go from one satellite to another there is a pause while the dome moves. Sometimes that pause is up to a minute long. Ignore what the Dish Network screen says (there is a problem with the antenna, or the switch isn't working, etc) and just be patient, eventually it finds itself, at least mine did.

The second and HUGE problem is that if it's raining, or even heavy dew is present the Kingdome may not work. Period!!! They make a special cleaner/wax that Kingdome sells to solve the problem, it didn't work for me. Some say waxing, dish soap, Armor All, 303, and virtually every other slippery substance will work. I've tried most of them and they don't work. At least it didn't for mine.

The explaination that made most sense to me was that dome type antennas have a small receiving dish area inside which cannot capture the signal as well as the larger dishes like the ones you see on homes and the Winegard Travler. (yes, there is no "e" in travler)

Sorry about your problems, but the Kingdome is a POS (piece of scrap). I have a KVH M-3 dome antenna on my boat that works well. It does not drop out in the rain and it contstantly tracks (in motion) even in heavy seas. Dome type antennas can work, Kingdome just doesn't know how to do it.

Ken

bucks2 said:
I hate my Kingdome! In fact I hate it so much I replaced mine with a Travler. Having said that, when changing channels that go from one satellite to another there is a pause while the dome moves. Sometimes that pause is up to a minute long. Ignore what the Dish Network screen says (there is a problem with the antenna, or the switch isn't working, etc) and just be patient, eventually it finds itself, at least mine did.

The second and HUGE problem is that if it's raining, or even heavy dew is present the Kingdome may not work. Period!!! They make a special cleaner/wax that Kingdome sells to solve the problem, it didn't work for me. Some say waxing, dish soap, Armor All, 303, and virtually every other slippery substance will work. I've tried most of them and they don't work. At least it didn't for mine.

The explaination that made most sense to me was that dome type antennas have a small receiving dish area inside which cannot capture the signal as well as the larger dishes like the ones you see on homes and the Winegard Travler. (yes, there is no "e" in travler)

Sorry about your problems, but the Kingdome is a POS (piece of scrap). I have a KVH M-3 dome antenna on my boat that works well. It does not drop out in the rain and it contstantly tracks (in motion) even in heavy seas. Dome type antennas can work, Kingdome just doesn't know how to do it.

Ken

We had a KingDome for several years on a previous RV and I agree with all of Ken's comments about it.  I used to have to make excuses for why the system couldn't find the satellite "this time", such as, maybe that tree is in the way, or that tall building.  With our Trav'ler excuses aren't needed; it works >95% of the time.

We have the same setup you do (late model Kingdome). It was on Direct when we bought the rig, and we had it changed over when we bought the MH at Lazy Days. The dome changes satellites automatically when we change channels ( you should hear it move).

We call Dish when we move and change the SERVICE address. It typically takes a couple of minutes for the call and up to 10 minutes to get the new locals. It is IMPORTANT that you know what you want and insist on it! Some of their people are limited in their understanding of what to do.

Ernie

That said, the Trav'ler is a superior solution!

All good advice above.

Direct has most everything on one satellite (101), so seldom any need to realign. Especially in the area where you are, since 101 also carries Direct's locals in Florida and parts of the Southeast.  Dish uses two satellites , so shifting birds is more important.

I see/hear lots of Kingdome complaints, but I had similar problems with my old KVH SH model. The satellite tv providers do indeed change things form time to time, and automatic domes may need upgrades to stay in sync. Faced with an expensive upgrade, I chose to install a new dome instead. That gave me the latest dome technology, with a new receiver that was fully compatible, and a year of support form KLH.

Back
Top Bottom