Save money - Kwikee Step gear assembly fix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin27

Just wanted to share a tip with other RV members who may run into a similar issue since it sounds like its fairly common.

My Kwikee series 28 step started making a really loud click,click,click sound at the end of its retraction cycle. My wife was totally embarrassed everytime it retracted because it sounded like we were attempting a drive-by shooting.

After some quick research on youtube I determined it was the gear assembly and it had probably lost some teeth on the gear (probably caused by me stepping on the step before it was fully in or out because I am impatient). Sure enough I took the gear assembly off and it had missing teeth. All of the youtube videos showed this as an easy fix by replacing the gear assembly for around $120.

Since only half of the gear itself it used I thought maybe I could just use the other half of the gear. It was really simple to remove the bolt and cotter pin which holds the swing arm onto the gear, rotate the gear 180 degrees and replace the swing arm. This way I can make use of the pristine side of the gear without replacing the entire assembly. I added some grease to the gear since this new side was dry and put it all back together. Works great!

Hope this helps someone save some $$ if you run into the same issue,

Happy Trails!

Marc

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pjay15
Back
Top Bottom