SAVING MONEY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arch7

This one's for the thrifty, frugal folks out there. I'm one of those people who can afford 1500/mo rent comfortable but chooses to live in a used TT.

Here's what I've learned so far regarding how to save money with a TT

1. generic generic generic! The name brand expensive weight distribution hitches perform just about as well as the Curt brands out there. Duck Coat roof coating is just the same as the liquid roof product out there but a fraction of the cost.
2. Buy used! For the most part. I got my 99 37'er with slide out for $3500. Just needed a new roof. ($300 all together with roof tape and duck coat). Why spend 30k for a new TT? Similarily, trucks. I bought my 93 F350 for $3400 (no coincidence I try to stay under 4k for large purchases haha). Think of the opportunity cost here.
3. Build your own furniture! A good little kitchen island will cost around $140 at least. I built one out of scrap 2x4s and plywood for a tenth of the cost.
4. The sewer solution seems to work better, is less complicated, less costly to run, less parts to break down, than a macerator electrical pump and costs at least half the price.
5. Build your own under TT storage boxes and roof top carriers.

Same thing can apply to motor homes, etc.  don't be afraid to tackle jobs.  Had a situation where two HWH jacks didn't work, cab A/C only blew out through the defroster vent.  A little research and a shopping trp on Ebay, had two jacks for $$625 vs $900 new from HWH, installed myself, saved about $600 in installation coats.  As to the A/C, research on YouTube, $10 worth of vacuum line, and an hour's work, fixed. 

arch7 said:
Why spend 30k for a new TT? Similarily, trucks. I bought my 93 F350 for $3400 (no coincidence I try to stay under 4k for large purchases haha). Think of the opportunity cost here.

Well.....because I can, that's why.  I gave up my youth and half my sanity for the privilege.  And life is too short for me not to have brand new and let someone else get their hands dirty.  ;)

That said, I salute everything you do, how you've done it, and why you've done it.  Frugality is a very good thing.   

if you can afford to live "well", and choose to live as if you cannot, the person(s) who WILL live well are those who inherit your estate.

I do what I can because I mostly enjoy it. Also, I look at other things when I fix one part.

Being able and.confident to repair things on a.trip is irreplaceable.  I have fixed or bypassed several things on trips which could have made them terrible. Doing maintenance and.fixing things helps me.learn how they work as I go.

But mostly I enjoy it.

4. The sewer solution seems to work better, is less complicated, less costly to run, less parts to break down, than a macerator electrical pump and costs at least half the price.

And  a plain old 3' sewer hose is the best and cheapest of all.  :D

OLDRACER said:
if you can afford to live "well", and choose to live as if you cannot, the person(s) who WILL live well are those who inherit your estate.

Amen.  We have no kids, thus no heirs.  We're going to retire comfortable and die broke.  Not going to let our extended family have anything left to fight over.....

That said, part of how we got where we are today is practicing frugality when we were young.  In some ways, we still do.  It's not a bad habit to get into.  Just don't get so fixated on it that you leave a small fortune and never enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Dying broke is an excellent goal as long as you can get the timing right.

It is very important to make ones financial status clear when you are living in a tt, and that it was a choice to live in it, so nobody gets the idea that you are homeless.

RodgerS said:
Dying broke is an excellent goal as long as you can get the timing right.

It is very important to make ones financial status clear when you are living in a tt, and that it was a choice to live in it, so nobody gets the idea that you are homeless.

What happens if they get that idea, and why should one concern themselves with the opinion of others? 

RodgerS said:

Sorry Rodger, I don't get why it's "very important" to let people know our financial status if we choose to live in a TT and that we make sure people know that living in a TT is a choice ... just so nobody thinks we are homeless.    ???    ::)  Your comments are way out in left field on this. 

I did preface the post that it was for those thrifty folks out there  ;).....I suppose what I mean is those that need to be thrifty. I mean are there any millionaires on this site? Just because you CAN buy something doesn't mean you should or that it would be in your best interest long term, especially when you are living in a fractional reserve cartel banking system using fiat currency and central control of interest rates. Anyone can get a 30K loan for a TT. Everyone is different. If 30k is but a small fraction of what you have in the bank then hell yea get that new one! I still woudn't though I would build my own because I am concerned about the off-gassing of new products especially furniture.

RodgerS was saying that it is very important to make ones financial status clear to others so no one thinks you are homeless. In other words, its very important what others think of you. Depends on who you are and what you are selling and where I suppose but generally I don't give a rats ass what others think of me.

I am somewhat annoyed that people out there seem to think you're a squatter or homeless if you are living in a trailer - UNLESS you are retired. In that case you are accomplished, well off and smart. WTF? Oh well why worry right?

As far as living well now or in the future and who gets your inheritance, well it depends on your age! I'm too young still to be worried about not spending enough money. I could see myself on my dying bed with no heirs and no will, the government is going to take my assets when I die. So I yell to my still young and gorgeous wife - BRING WOOD AND OIL!

We prefer to by used and fix up for several reasons, one is to save a few dollars and also because we like to change it to our personal taste.

My husband really enjoys the work (personally I think he's crazy), but he is the work horse while I take care of design.  I personally don't care for the interiors of new campers, nor older ones.  We are just finishing up a remodel on our NTU motor home and now have the camper of OUR dreams.

I guess I can still hear my dad saying "you can go a lot farther second class then you can first class".  Worked out well for him, he retired at 50 and had the joy of babysitting my kids while we worked.  He has always said it was the most special time of his life.  I hope we can do the same. 

Like on this site I see so many people interested in "Name Brands" like with Tires, and other things. Me I tend to see things from another angle. More money I can save through the week then more fun I can have on the weekend going camping or traveling. But if I keep buying expensive name brand parts and supplies because they are "The Best" my weekend camping funds will be exhausted before I get to go. So not always will I jump for name brand parts or supplies. I listen to the advise here on the site and then do my shopping around and typically I find better price with similar products.

arch7 said:
I did preface the post that it was for those thrifty folks out there  ;).....I suppose what I mean is those that need to be thrifty. I mean are there any millionaires on this site? Just because you CAN buy something doesn't mean you should or that it would be in your best interest long term, especially when you are living in a fractional reserve cartel banking system using fiat currency and central control of interest rates. Anyone can get a 30K loan for a TT. Everyone is different. If 30k is but a small fraction of what you have in the bank then hell yea get that new one! I still woudn't though I would build my own because I am concerned about the off-gassing of new products especially furniture.

RodgerS was saying that it is very important to make ones financial status clear to others so no one thinks you are homeless. In other words, its very important what others think of you. Depends on who you are and what you are selling and where I suppose but generally I don't give a rats ass what others think of me.

I am somewhat annoyed that people out there seem to think you're a squatter or homeless if you are living in a trailer - UNLESS you are retired. In that case you are accomplished, well off and smart. (what the heck)? Oh well why worry right?

As far as living well now or in the future and who gets your inheritance, well it depends on your age! I'm too young still to be worried about not spending enough money. I could see myself on my dying bed with no heirs and no will, the government is going to take my assets when I die. So I yell to my still young and gorgeous wife - BRING WOOD AND OIL!

I assumed with all the class A motorhomes on this forum that almost everyone is or was a millionaire :) :) :)

I think a lot depends on the individual's technical savvy. The less you know about the components or systems, the more it makes sense to buy the better known brands of parts and/or follow the "best practice" procedures. If you are technically astute and observant for signs of problems or out-of-spec components, then you can save money, often a lot of it, by using alternative sources and  [possibly] less reliable or less consistent quality parts.  If you know what you are doing, you can skate closer to the edge; if you don't, it's usually better to pay the price and go with the better odds.

Yea here's a couple relevant quotes:

- buy cheap buy twice - (like if you buy some cheap china torque wrench vs a craftsman, likely you'll have to buy the cheap one again as it'll break and doesn't have a warranty)

- don't pay for advertising - (like if you buy a name brand yogurt instead of the generic brand you are wasting your money)

So it depends on the product in question. With the WDH's for instance I think you buy name brand you are paying for that companies marketing, typically.

But with oil filters, I always buy Bosch because some cheap generic ones out there have been known to blow out.

So it really just depends on what you are buying and yes what your knowledge is of the product. If you don't know enough to buy a cheap something and are concerned about maintenance, research and study!

Some things have specs, or at least industry standards for a product type, but other things may be complete unknowns. If you don't have a spec sheet for a brand x oil filter, how do you know if it filters anything, or for how long? But a can of 10w30 oil identified as API spec SJ ought to be ok, short of outright fraud.  The auto parts store brands have to maintain enough integrity to stay in business, so they aren't putting used oil in jugs and selling it as new, clean oil.

I watch others spend excessively all the time. There really is no excuse with the availability of the internet. I literally have saved thousands of dollars just by researching. My most recent coup was a replacement Dometic fridge in good working order for $300.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom