Schwintek Slide Mechanism - 2014 Itasca Ellipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John

Your "got wind of a solvency issue" quote has a tendency to make me nervous! I hope that is not the holdup with my parts.

We recently had trouble with our Schwintek slide system on our 2013 Journey and we had to wait a long time for parts as well AJW. I think it is caused by a poor parts distribution system rather than a solvency issue. BTW, once we had the initial issue fixed the system has worked well. :D

AJW said:
John

Your "got wind of a solvency issue" quote has a tendency to make me nervous! I hope that is not the holdup with my parts.

John was referring the SCS/Frigette which went bankrupt a few years ago.

I tried the special lubricant that winneabago recommended.  Sprayed as directed in my 2013 Adventurer and it did not work.  Sprayed a second application and it still did not work.  Go figure

jimlaurielucy said:
I tried the special lubricant that winneabago recommended.  Sprayed as directed in my 2013 Adventurer and it did not work.  Sprayed a second application and it still did not work.  Go figure

What exactly "did not work?" Do the slides not retract/extend? What problem are you trying to solve with the Winnebago lubricant?

R

The fix was supposed to stop the knocking.  The coach is now at the dealer waiting for the rear slide assembly to arrive for replacement.  The slide when retracted left about 4 inches extended on the rear aft end of the full slide.  Metal shavings were present in the guide.  Last of the parts to arrive  Thursday hopefully.

jimlaurielucy said:

I assume you are referring to the same knocking or slapping you hear through the slide wall behind the driver's head which increases as road vibration increases? If so, I am very sceptical of the lubricant as a solution from looking at the mechanism myself & the substantial improvement that resulted from adding foam around the motor & actuator rod. As stated previously, Lippert told me the permanant fix is neither foam nor lubricant, but drilling a hole & fastening the gear & motor with a screw.

Cass, i just spoke with Jeff at Lippert and he confirmed what you said about putting the 1/2 inch in just touching the motor to keep it from moveing.  At least the stories are consistent.

jimlaurielucy said:
Cass, i just spoke with Jeff at Lippert and he confirmed what you said about putting the 1/2 inch in just touching the motor to keep it from moveing.  At least the stories are consistent.

Yes, now if I could just get Winnebago & my dealer to communicate with him.

jimlaurielucy said:
Last of the parts to arrive  Thursday hopefully.

Jim How long have you been waiting for the parts. I have been waiting three weeks for the slide mechanism for my 33C albeit for the large driver side slide. Do you know if they had to replace any of the bottom rollers on yours? I wonder if Lippert is advising the repair shops about the fix for the slapping noise?

Alex

AJW said:
I wonder if Lippert is advising the repair shops about the fix for the slapping noise?

Alex

The tech I talked to at Lippert said he had talked to a number of dealers & talked them through the fix but the impression was that the dealer has to initiate the call.

RED ALERT RED ALERT - I am at Winnebago Factory service for some minor problems, THE biggest problems people are having are Schwintek Slides.  There have been 12-15 coaches while I have been here complaining of problems with these slides.  I over heard the desk gal at customer service check in saying they are over whelmed with slide issues and have only 2 techs working on them.  We have Power Gear on all slides, on the 2013 Winnie went to Schwintek on the passenger slides, but retained Power Gear on the large drivers side slide.  Word is Schwintek cannot handle the large slide, apparently they cannot handle the smaller slides either.  Supposedly Schwintek engineers are at Forest City addressing these problems.

I would be carefull with my due diligence as I am giving anecdotal information and not hard facts.

tomnnva said:
RED ALERT RED ALERT - I am at Winnebago Factory service for some minor problems, THE biggest problems people are having are Schwintek Slides. 

Please let us know if you are able to find out what the solutions are to the slide problems while you are there.

Alex, i have been waiting for about 2 weeks.  The rest of my parts were to arrive late yesterday.  They informed me that the order consisted of a slide out assembly,so don't know what is included.

I spoke to a guy this morning with Schwintek slide problems,  he has a 2013 Adventure and his problem is with his big slide, I think about 30? in that model.  This guy told me the problem has to do with Schwintek driving past the normal ?in? position.  Apparently Schwintek stops when it senses a high current due to coming in contact with the rubber seal on the slide wall.  The problem is the rubber contact point, apparently this contact does not produce enough current to stop the mechanism, it keeps on driving and causes damage.  He had extensive slide rail and interior damage due to this problem.  He said the solution is to place an aluminum bar in place of the rubber, thereby creating a hard surface for the slide mechanism to sense.

Update

I visited my Repair shop yesterday, they still have not received a tracking number for parts from Lippert. I am told there was extensive damage to the slide mechanism my rig, in fact some/many of the screw heads were sheared off!

I hope the statement that Lippert Engineers were on site in Forest City is accurate and the solution suggested will work!

Anyone yet had the screw to hold the motor fix done to stop the slapping/knocking noise from road vibration?

I still can't get my dealer to even return my calls to talk about it.

I'm on he road now & the foam around the motor fix is increasingly not working as well as it did when first done.

Back
Top Bottom