Scissor Jacks as Motorhome Stabilizers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uchu

We've been using and enjoying "George" quite a lot this season, our first with a motorhome. After years using pop-ups and TTs, the change to a motorhome has been relatively painless. Getting used to its quirks and quarks has been an exciting, though sometimes challenging learning curve.

Being a basic model motorhome, George lacks stabilizing jacks. Sometimes one can feel the movement when we walk around it, like going to the bathroom or shower. Is it OK to use scissor jacks to stabilize it? I would like to know if some of you have any experience with them.

I'm thinking in something like this for the four corners, suitably placed at the lifting spots indicated in the MH's manual:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078P75C1V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=AYOG2BCTKFJ85&psc=1

Thanks in advance for any input!

I've considered this as well.  I assume it's okay, but am interested in any replies.

On the flip side, the Admiral and I are quite used to the movement and don't find it objectionable.  At least one friend who has stayed with us did NOT agree.  YMMV, I guess.

Scissor jacks are used on all kinds of trailers for just that purpose. I can't imagine it would cause any problems with your rig - as long as they were affixed to a solid part of the frame, or the like.

Kev

Arch Hoagland said:
My stabilizers were out of order on my coach for a two week trip so I bought some scissor jacks.

Didn't work too very good.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Arch. I think that your rig has slides, right? Do you think that could be a factor? Mine does not have slides.

One can steady and level with scissor jacks if the jacks are of sufficient capacity (and number). I did it with 8 scissor jacks on a KZ toy hauler travel trailer; the 4 that came on the trailer and 4 I added. The thing leveled no sweat and was steady as can be.

Like any other rigging task you need to know the weight of your load, where the weight is and the capacities of your rigging. If in doubt over rig.

I put 4 7500 lb scissor jacks on my Class C and it makes a huge difference. I use them to level also. It does not hurt anything if you put them at the jack points and don't raise them too high. I bought an extra jack crank then cut off the crank giving me a 2 foot long straight extension to use in a cordless drill. Saves a lot of work cranking them up and down. Always set the emergency brake to help stop lateral movement.

BTW - I bolted the jacks to my frame so they are self storing when raised. Close to the wheels they can't hit high center.

Kevin Means said:
Scissor jacks are used on all kinds of trailers for just that purpose. I can't imagine it would cause any problems with your rig - as long as they were affixed to a solid part of the frame, or the like.

Kev

Not so !
Scissor jacks on trailers are used for stabilization only
You can bend the frame using them for leveling (per the manuals)

Jack L

@JackL

Agreed, if using only the four jacks on the corners of most trailers to level you could leave the middle of the frame unsupported and damage it. That's why when I added 4 additional jacks to my trailer which I placed them just behind and ahead of the axles since the axles and wheels supported most of the load.

In any event the scissors jack, as a device, is capable of leveling RVs when used properly. That's the rub though, properly.

Seems like an unneeded expense and more steps to set up and tear down but it's just my wife and I in our Class C. Can I feel the RV move slightly when my wife enters or exits the RV? Yes. I'm sure she can feel it when I enter and exit the RV too. Even going to the bathroom or getting something to eat is detectable but we don't care. We do a lot of one night stays and use our RV as daily transportation even when we bring our toad depending on what we are doing so maybe we are the exception.

F15equatro said:
@ TheBar,
Any pictures or link to what you got/installed?  Sounds like a solid setup!  Thanks!
I bought mine 6 years ago but these are similar to the jacks I installed. They are pretty heavy duty but don't need to be since they are not used to lift the wheels. The 1st picture shows I put one bolt in the frame on each side of the jack. This stores them under the RV so I don't have to set them up each time. 2nd picture is the scissor jack handle I cut off to put in a cordless drill.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cynder-24-Heavy-Duty-Scissor-Set-of-2-Jacks-7500-lbs-RV-Camper-5th-Wheel-00678/363094075420?hash=item548a17e81c:g:hTsAAOSwCGVX--Qu

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 30
  • jack handle.jpg
    jack handle.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 23
I had these installed in 2015 behind the rear wheels of my class c, Husky 6500 lbs Stabilizing Scissor Jacks. They work great, but I only put them down if its going to be an extended stay. Unlike a trailer its a longer reach to the frame. I use my cordless drill to lower and raise them and I put a clip on my steering wheel to remind me to put them up prior to driving.

Upgraded my RV with Roadmaster rear sway bars. Maybe that's why we don't notice much movement when someone walks around but we don't have slides.

We select level sites so no leveling is necessary either. Maybe a few sites in twenty years were slanted but if the refrigerator works I'm good. My wife and I did a lot of tent camping when we were younger so even with a little slant we feel like we're in a five star hotel. LOL

I bought 4 scissor jacks rated at 7500lbs and use them last season on my Class C as my faith in my auto-level jack system has dropped.  I also got 4 12x12x 1/4" steel plates I place under them.  They work fine but the suckers are heavy and every few weeks I would tweak them for level.

Thank you all for your input on this topic. I will seriously consider using scissor jacks to help stabilizing our motorhome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom