Scorpions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many years ago, we actually had one in our trailer.  We were parked at a Corp park in Arkansas.  It was either a baby scorpion or a look alike.  Not sure what insect looks like a scorpion so I believe it actually was a scorpion.  It was maybe a 1/4 inch long and on the ceiling of our rear slide out.  Have no idea how it got there.  Just picked it up with a piece of tissue and discarded it. 

I think I may have told this story before, but...

When I was stationed at NAS China Lake, Ca. around 1965-66, I was assigned to a mobile emergency standby radar unit. The air station we were attached to flew drones. Not like the drones of today, but we did fly the what was the beginning of the drone program. Anyway, my radar unit consisted of a main radar trailer, a huge diesel trailer mounted generator, and a maintenance trailer. Our job was to remain on standby, ready to take over, should anything go wrong with the main drone control system operated from the hangar across the runway from us. That meant, we virtually had nothing to do but wait on standby when they were flying a drone...lots of waiting...bored silly. So, we played a lot of cribbage, chess, and cards. Being in the Mojave Desert, we had lots of sand, so we also constructed some fine horseshoe pits. I got pretty good at it.

Anyway, back to scorpions, it was a not-so-hot day (one of few) and there was no flight ops scheduled, so the best game of all began, double-deck pinochle. Since our unit was a mobile site, there were several large cable spools to store the large heavy cables that stretched between trailers and we had laid one on its side and slid it under the main, high-off-the-ground trailers. It made a perfect card table...when the wind wasn't blowing (which was almost never, but this one of those days). As 4 of us sat around the cable spool on buckets, hunkered down (well, the trailer wasn't THAT high off the ground) playing cards, I looked down and saw what I thought was the tail of scorpion sticking out from under the spool.  A BIG tail! Which one would have to assume was attached to a big scorpion. I wasn't about to try to pick that rascal up without help, so I went to the maintenance trailer and found an empty coffee can and a pair of long handle hemostats. I went back to the card table and carefully took hold of the scorpion tail, trying not to harm it, but also, trying to maintain control. I planned to pull it out and drop it in the coffee can. Simple, right.

I pulled. I tugged. The scorpion fought back, trying to crawl further under the spool. I had to have the other guys tip the spool up a little so I could pull it out. Finally, the scorpion lost its grip and out it came. The other guys dropped the spool and left.

What I had hold of made me think of "tiger by the tail". The tail I had hold of was over twice as big as it had appeared sticking out from under the spool. It was a shiny black scorpion longer than and as wide as my hand. I took me several tries before I finally got that monster into the 3 lb. coffee can. Then I had to get the lid on and let go with the hemostats without it jumping back out.

The little town of Ridgecrest was settled around the south and west of the base. Being in the desert, they like us, had to do "desert stuff" to occupy their time and the local newspaper owner/editor/reporter/printer had decided to become the local desert life expert. We contacted him and asked if he wanted to see this big scorpion. Dubiously, as he seen everything in his many years there, he said we could bring it over. Which we did.

The newspaper man looked like an old prospector. Reminded me somewhat of a fat Gabby Hayes, gray tobacco stained beard and all. He led us back to his tiny office where we four packed ourselves in the room with the paper man, surrounding his desk. I handed the coffee can to the man as the critter inside it made heavy scratching sounds. I warned him of the monster inside, but he just waved me off and popped off the coffee can lid. Then he immediately popped the lid back on. "That IS a big one!", he exclaimed.

My scorpion made the next edition of the Ridgecrest newspaper.

We have been going out in the desert for 5 years now I've never seen a scorpion or rattlesnake but my wife did see a small dead  scorpion in South Dakota and I found that strange.  When first rigging my fifth wheel I laid under it and foamed and sealed everything possible. You have to go slow and look at every pipe wire bracket because they do things real cheesy and cut holes and stuff where you wouldn't expect. People use various methods of steel wool expanding foam etc

I talked to one lady in Southern California who said they're small dog was bit by a rattlesnake while it was sitting under her chair at a campfire. Another guy in the same area said that he had seen a rattlesnake I've never seen one anywhere hiking climbing walking in washes.

As mentioned up above be careful when you pick anything up don't leave tarps rags things like that laying around your RV.

When we moved to the desert one of the first things people (especially construction workers) told us was never to pick up things like boards without leather gloves on because that's where scorpions hide.  Yep!  The people down the street had a nice German Shepherd that was a little too curious.  One day he stuck his nose in the base of a palm tree frond.  A scorpion stung his nose and the poor dog died the next day.  Jerry's been stung by a scorpion - said it hurt like the devil.  I never walk around in the middle of the night without putting on slippers because I just missed stepping on one shortly after we moved into our house.  We had quite a few inside the house before we got pest control.

ArdraF

Let me add without edit.
Not only look underneath your rig and seal it up but look in the basement and compartment areas because pipes can pass through from your holding tanks for example up through the compartments all the way up to the roof there be large gaps around some of these pipes and stuff so there's multiple passageways that they can get in sometimes. Believe me if I didn't seal this up and be sure that the stuff wasn't getting in the RV someone would put a stop to the RV thing real quick.

If i remember correctly actual scorpions glow in the dark

I believe you need to use a black light to see them

Molaker said:
I wouldn't get too comfortable.  You ARE going to die. :D

Maybe, maybe not.  If he makes it to age 100, he has it made.  Very few people die after age 100.

RVMommaTo6 said:
This is fantastic, I needed something else to be scared of lol
Scorpions never crossed my mind.
Amanda, I spent ten years full timing as a professional photographer and I made it a point of hiking just about every day looking for critters to photograph. I love the desert. I spent a lot of time in Arizona and the Mojave Desert. I have never seen a scorpion in the wild and only two rattlesnakes. The biggest danger I ran into was tourists. :eek:

Tourists don't bite, unless provoked of course, so they don't scare me lol
Yeah it's good to hear most people don't run across these things. I think hiking would probably be the best way to have a run in.

Everyone associates Scorpions with deserts, but actually they are common throughout the south. We just moved from N. Texas and I can assure you we saw a number of them both in the house and outside. My wife was bitten by one that got into her shoe one night. It seemed to be comparable to a bee sting.

Ernie

There are lots of scorpions in south Florida.  The Ace hardware in Islamorada used to have a scorpion roundup every year. People would bring scorpions in and put them into a 20 gallon aquarium. I have seen that aquarium 3/4 full.

I've lived in Mesa AZ for 29 years and I have encountered most everything except a Gila Monster
None of the predators want anything to do with you unless you are good or a possible mate. As said above, dont turn over rocks, don't put your hand where you can't see and NEVER buy a blacklight in AZ, unless you like scorpions.
RichH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom