Screendoor Lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like to take a nap in the afternoon and leave just the screendoor open to let the breeze in.I fear that someone might walk in. How can I secure my screendoor. What type of locks are out there that might help.

No screen door should be used as security,, all handles and laches I have seen are plastic..  All it takes is a quick jerk and it's open,, try it sometime and you will be surprised..>>>Dan

I don't think screen doors can be secured to the point that they'd be able to stop, or even significantly slow a determined intruder. There are, however, more useful ways of latching them. I've always removed those plastic, spring loaded latches, and installed magnets at the top and bottom of the door frame. Then all you have to do is tug on the door to get in, or nudge it with your elbow or knee to get out. No more goofy latches to flip, or access doors to open. That's really nice when your hands are full.

If you want to nap with only the screen door closed, but you're really concerned about being surprised by an intruder, perhaps a cheap alarm would be the way to go - one that could be enabled when you wanted to take a nap, and which would sound when the screen door was opened. Even if it didn't scare the intruder off, it might wake you and give you time to get to your flame thrower, or release the lions.

Kev

Larry J Huston said:
I like to take a nap in the afternoon and leave just the screendoor open to let the breeze in.I fear that someone might walk in. How can I secure my screendoor. What type of locks are out there that might help.

We have had the exact same concern and I posted essentially the same question perhaps a year ago. I was looking for minimal security - that is, enough to keep someone who might be just curious out of the RV. It is a screen door and even the most secure lock would not keep someone who was determined to get in from cutting the screen and opening any lock, but my experience has been that most people in campgrounds are honest, but may be curious.

I never got any responses but went to Home Depot and bought one of those 2 piece slide latches. My idea was to attach the slide to the door and extend it when I wanted some minimal security. Since the door opens out an extended slide would prevent the door from opening unless the person was determined. I could not find a good place to mount it but your door might be different and perhaps a slide would work for you.

We added a simple eye hook to keep our then 2 YO granddaughter IN.  Works very well.  It is mounted high enough to be tricky to open from the outside.

For an alarm system, try a Chihuahua!

Kevin Means said:
I don't think screen doors can be secured to the point that they'd be able to stop, or even significantly slow a determined intruder.

Perhaps a bank vault door will "Significantly Slow" but not many other doors will slow 'em enough to matter.

I have a hook and eye for a cat that liked to get out. but then the door latch (lever latch) basically failed to hold door closed so I devised a slide lock that actuall fools most people DESPITE of a clearly printed label.

It's a rod attached to the sliding panel that covers the hole that lets you reach the outer door latch when they are "joined" and extends through the handle that is next to that slide and engages the jam dead bolt wise.  You have to open the slide before you open the door..  The label clearly says Slide right to unlock but people can not figure it out.. Well . honest folks.. I'm sure crooks could :)

Well, we still haven't heard from Larry what type of protection he feels he needs, if from casual visitors or those with more nefarious intentions. We could likely narrow down our suggestions a bit if we knew the purpose of them. 

What would you do if you napped in a hammock,  under a couple of nice shade trees? Put a trip wire around your site with tin cans attached? Why would anybody come uninvited into your RV?

PancakeBill said:
apparently the lock didn't work.  My idea would be somewhat after the fact, a 9mm barrel is involved.

You could always set up a nice stack of pancakes in hopes that the intruder would just sit down and enjoy your pancakes instead of steal your valuables.  ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom