Screws pulling out of wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montanaman42

I noticed that my side table that folds up and locks by the sink is starting to sag so when I looked into it a little more I saw that the screws are pulling out of the wood.

With that in mind what is the best way to anchor the screws back into the sidewall? Would putting a bead of silicone or another type of glue on the tips and threads of the screws before re-screwing them in hold or will I have to put a piece of wood behind the cabinet as an anchor?

I have a few things that I need to replace and am worried that the originals holes will get stripped and most replacement parts have the same hole spacing. Hmmm  :-\

A good way is to drill the hole out and with some good wood glue insert a piece of dowel.  Let the glue cure then redrill a pilot hole.

Matchsticks and wood glue. Remove screws. Dip ends of matchsticks in wood glue and stick in screw holes - 1,2,3 matchsticks, whatever it takes to fill hole tightly. Let glue dry, snap off matchsticks and reinsert screws. Like new!

If the screws are in solid wood, the above techniques work well. If in particle board (MDF), maybe not. At least not for very long. Particle board often just continues to crumble under stress. Some times an anchor bolt, or other bolt-through method, is the only long term solution.

You mentioned about installing a backing board inside the cabinet. If you can, by all means. Spread some wood glue on the side facing the paneling and find some way to hold it there until it dries. Plywood would be better than just a piece of pine.

There are many ways.. Question.. Can you access the "Other side" of the wall?  IF so there is a product I find interesting for jobs like that. Not sure of it's name but will google a bit.  Ah they are called Tee Nuts Home Depot Link

If you are dealing with real wood, a golf tee works great.  A little carpenters glue on the golf tee, drive it into the hole and score it with a pocket knife.  Then break off the golf tee at the scored line.  Tomorrow, redrill the hole and install screw.

If you have access, the best long term solution is to bolt it through the wood.  John's Tee Nuts work well.  Machine screws, washer and lock nuts will work.  The big deal is the screw is pulling against a much larger area.

I like the idea of glue and match sticks for smaller holes and lighter weight items but this load bearing side table will work better with John's Tee nuts AND a bit of plywood. Thank you everyone!

I just fixed these exact same screws in our kitchen counter.
I removed the entire hinged piece and filled all the holes with super glue. The holes that were really too big I used a little baking soda first; when the super glue hits it it catalyzes into a rock hard substance (a trick from my model airplane building days!). I then "painted" glue all around the area. I let it all dry and reassembled.
This is in mdf by the way.
Where the brackets mount to the sides of the cabinets the screws were in better shape. Only one would not tighten. I dripped 3 drops of super glue on the screw then quickly screwed it back in. Very solid now.

boatbuilder said:
A good way is to drill the hole out and with some good wood glue insert a piece of dowel.  Let the glue cure then redrill a pilot hole.

This is what I have done and works quite well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom