Sea foam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a fan of Seafoam, use it on power equipment and my motorcycle yearly. I think one bottle does 12 gallons. I also like Lucas Oil gas treatment, larger containers, I think 1 qt does 100 gallons.

I have a 75 gallon tank and add 5 cans once a year before a long trip where I will burn that whole tank. I run my generator for at least one hour while on that trip to clean it out too.

I've been doing that for about 12 years now and haven'i had any problems with the generator at all and no fuel related issues with my 8.1 engine.

I also use it in my two lawn mowers and never have clogged carburetors like I used to get before I started using it.

Add it to our last gas tank, 6 to 7 cans, any time we will be parked for extended periods. Run the genset once monthly off this tank and never have problems with surging or failure to start. I have been using Seafoam for home and marine use for decades to keep my engines clean and smooth running. It works great for diesel too. Chuck

What problem does it solve? I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles on various cars and trucks over decades and have never used any kind of mechanic in a can. My 8.1 vortec starts on the first turn after months of slumber, same with the genset. What have I missed?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

If you're driving the latest and greatest or you use your vehicle every day you can probably get by OK. If your driving an older rig that sits for long periods of time or don't use your generator as often Seafoam helps a lot with another well known fuel additive called Ethanol. My genset carb has had to be replaced twice because of Ethanol but since the use of Seafoam, no problems. Same with home mowers and gas powered tool. You don't ever have to change the oil in your engine either, but most will advise against that. Chuck

Run a Top Tier gas regularly and you won't have to add any external additives. Top Tier gas already contains detergents and lubrication additives. Top Tier branded gas is a fuel performance standard based on Deposit Control Additives and designed to minimize carbon deposit build up on engine components like air intake valves and injectors.

Sporadically adding external additives probably won't hurt but the marginal benefit is minimal at best. But if you perceive that it works, then go for it.

Run a Top Tier gas regularly and you won't have to add any external additives.

Top Tier branded gas is a fuel performance standard
It would be interesting to know what that is- I've never come across any gas "branded" that way. So is this just a general term (capitalized so probably not) or a specific label you can find on a gas pump?

It would be interesting to know what that is- I've never come across any gas "branded" that way. So is this just a general term (capitalized so probably not) or a specific label you can find on a gas pump?
I’m thinking they mean premium fuel

And using the interweb to inquire (instead of adding to yer post count here) never occurred to you? :(

LMDDGTFY

Yes, where offered Top Tier gas is specified by a sticker on the pump. Not all gas brands offer it but it is generally available. I carry a list of Top Tier stations when I'm on the road.

My F150 ecoboost specifically states to use only Top Tier gas. It has nothing to do with octane rating, it's quality control and detergents added for todays engines. There is a list of stations, many stations like BP, Shell, etc, and many no-no stations like your local grocery store etc.

I mainly use Seafoam as a gas stabilizer. But I have used it to solve carb varnish problems on classic cars that have not run in years. Also found it strips varnish out of the carbs on tiny 2 cycle engines like weed eaters or leaf blowers. I'm skeptical of "top tier" as being more advertisement than actual problem solving. I've been running no-name alcohol free gas with no additives in my 73 truck for 42 years without any problems caused by the gasoline.

I mainly use Seafoam as a gas stabilizer. But I have used it to solve carb varnish problems on classic cars that have not run in years. Also found it strips varnish out of the carbs on tiny 2 cycle engines like weed eaters or leaf blowers. I'm skeptical of "top tier" as being more advertisement than actual problem solving. I've been running no-name alcohol free gas with no additives in my 73 truck for 42 years without any problems caused by the gasoline.
Yeah if you've got a problem with sticky valves or knocking then an additive like that can help. And if you've got a car that's been running gunky gas for years then Top Tier for sure won't help. But running Top Tier when an engine is still fairly new will, no doubt. And it's been proven that it's not just advertisement and hype. LOTS of comparison vids on running it versus not. Top Tier gas won't clean your fuel system if its already gunked up but it will keep it from getting worse. And if you can run it from day 1 that's even better. But everyone can make their own decision and do whatever they want.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom