Sealing seams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmtzrv27

Bought a 1992 Tioga Claas C this spring, have noticed the seams are filled with a black sealant and it has oozed out form the seams on the overhead portion of the RV. I was thinking of cleaning with a solvent and using an RTV silcone based sealant is this a good or bad idea, any advice appreciated.  Regards Newby" Marty"

Which seams are we talking about here?  Most seams won't have a black sealant in them, though some may have  black "rubber" (butyl) compound in them, usually in the form of a tape. Roof seams usually have an EPDM lap sealant (white) and windows make have a clear non-silicone sealer around their frames.

Backdraft161 said:
Gary, where can one get the lap sealer for a roof seam?

Not Gary.... but self-levelling lap sealant can be purchased at any RV store, maybe even a Walmart RV section. Dicor is one brand.

Geocell Proflex is another excellent RV caulk and available in many RV stores (and some Lowes too) is another. Alpha Systems lap sealant is another brand designed for RV use. Larger Walmarts with a good RV section may carry one of those too.

If this is a roof seam you are interested in sealing, I would also like to make a strong recommendation for Eternabond.  This is a super product and easy to work with.  If you want a seam sealed as well as it can be sealed, I think this stuff is hard to beat.  It comes in a roll of "tape".  I like the 4" width for roof seams.  You can do a search for Eternabond on this site, and I think you will find many "happy campers" who have had great success with it.  I hate leaks.  Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom