Searching for our family's first RV.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, Michelle. Our Bounder is a 34-footer and gets in and around most parks, so I have some first hand experience you didn't have, I expect. Your posts were good to alert a lot of folks to watch out for limited access in many areas, a factor some folks forget, or don't think about.

To add a bit more information: For government parks (state, fed, county), as well as many private campgrounds, Reserve America includes information on site lengths, amenities, and more See this R.A. page about Mueller State Park, for one example, which includes 26 sites for units greater than 40 feet -- I suspect they fill up quickly. R.A. does add a fee for reservations, however.

Kevin, you are receiving lots of great advice from the posters here. Having worked our way up the RV ladder & having camped with our sons and now their kids, I would like to add a couple of things to the discussion:

Based on our "kids" experience, let the kids help pick the unit you buy. Obviously you will have the final decision but letting them feel part of the process will improve their over-all camping experience. Even as young as yours are they will surprise you with how they see the units you look at. One of my fondest memories will always be of our oldest grandson telling us that "Grandpa won't fit in that bedroom" when we took him to a dealer's. (He was right!) Start them looking at the pictures of the ones you see on the internet during your search. You will have to educate them a little bit but I guarantee it will be rewarding. We got the stamp of approval from our youngest grandkids (4 & 7) before we bought our latest trailer! Once you get the RV, give them tasks to do when setting up or breaking camp. A friend had his 8 year old son crank up his pop-up & crank down the stabilizers them do the reverse when leaving. Pick tasks they can perform & make it fun.

Watch out for the 2' itch. I am sure most of the veterans here have been bitten by it at some point. That's the one where you wish you had two feet more in your RV after you have used it a number of times!

To me, slides are very important in creating space. Our new 5er has the bunks in a slide & it creates lots of space for the grandkids to play without impacting the main area. You will appreciate this on the first rainy day! (Take lots of crayons, games, etc. for those days as well.)

In Pennsylvania there are so many things to enjoy for the whole family. One of them is watching the spring & fall migration of hawks, eagles & other raptors. Check out www.hawkmountain.org & www.hmana.org . We introduced all of our grndkids to the migration & they loved it.

One last thing - every time you see an RV that seems to be what you might like, talk to the owner. Almost everyone I know who owns an RV loves to talk about their rig just as I am sure you do with your sportscar. You will get a good idea quickly about what's good & bad plus tips galore.

Good luck in your search. You will be giving your kids a gift that they will enjoy for the rest of their lives as well as an appreciation of the world around them.

Vic

Back
Top Bottom