Seat belt removal Captains chairs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Replacing the carpet in the Aerbus and I'm ready to remove the captains chairs.  Problem is the seat belt bolts are very tight.  I'm talking about the ones connected to the chair.  Sprayed a bit of WD40 but wondering if there's something more effective. 

Probably not!!, The ones I have seen use shoulder bolts and are torqued highly into place. The metal attachment piece on the buckle rests on the shoulder of the bolt and can swivel a bit. Can you not remove all together, belt and seat base??

Got them off.  Guess the WD40, a tap on the end with a hammer and some elbow grease did the job.  Decided to leave the round pedestal in place, cut the carpet at a right angle from the pedestal to the wall and pull it back.  I can do the same thing when I put the new carpet down.  Can't really see it so not concerned about the appearance. 

Gary,
If you ever have a problem with real rust, the best penetrating oil is a mix of automatic transmission oil and acetone. After working on Model T's I have found nothing works better.
Glad to see you got the bolts off though.

Steven

Hey Steve, how are things in Missouri?  Doing any traveling?  I've been spending all my spare time looking for an RV.  The Aerbus is still working fine but just not big enough.  Believe it or not, we haven't changed out the transmission indicator thing you fixed when we were in Wyoming.  Have driven it at least 5,000 miles since on the temporary fix. lol.    Need to buy the part and have it in the tool kit.  Hope all is well with you and Dianna.  Say hello from me and Maria. 

Gary

scdiver said:
Gary,
If you ever have a problem with real rust, the best penetrating oil is a mix of automatic transmission oil and acetone. After working on Model T's I have found nothing works better.

Steven

I agree with the mixture for use as a penetrating oil, but I have found it needs to be fairly fresh. Just mix enough to do the task at hand. I had some mixed for about 3 months and it didn't work very well.

Gary,
We just did a 2 week travel to River Falls, Wisconsin for my niece's wedding. Took the Fordor again. Took us a week to get home following the great river road. But we are in the middle of replacing the water heater due to a tank leak, always something. yes the Aerbus is getting a little small for us too but for now it is what we have. I am going to see if I can pm you my facebook page. Stay in touch and say hello to Maria.

scdiver said:
Gary,

Steven

Steve, what would the ratio be? 50/50?

scdiver said:
Gary,
We just did a 2 week travel to River Falls, Wisconsin for my niece's wedding. Took the Fordor again. Took us a week to get home following the great river road. But we are in the middle of replacing the water heater due to a tank leak, always something. yes the Aerbus is getting a little small for us too but for now it is what we have. I am going to see if I can pm you my facebook page. Stay in touch and say hello to Maria.

Small world.  I went to school at Wisconsin State, River Falls for a year back in the early 60's.  We were at Eau Gaulle USACE park for a week last July on our way to my Daughters wedding in Stevens Point, WI.  Eau Gaulle is not far from River Falls.  Got the email.  I'll send you a friend request. 

Gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom