Seatbelt question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thehustler

Hi I have a 93 silver eagle and  the was wondering if it's possible to install seatbelts at the dinette table thats lays down to a bed or if u can even have seatbelts there legally

Yes you can.
Most now have them form the factory for all seating positions.
Dinette, jack-bed etc.

Have you looked in the storage under the seats? I was surprised to find the belts in mine. They are bolted to the floor and just come up through slots in the benches.

I don't think there is slots there is a drawer on bother sides and a small storage compartment on each end behind the drawer. I will look.  If not would I need to bolt them to the floor or could I bolt them to the top of the bench?

Seat belts have to be attached to the primary structure of the vehicle. If they are not attached securely enough they will tear loose in a crash. The top of the bench is NOT a secure structural element. The only truly safe anchor is part of the steel framework. That said, your rig should have belts for every seating position. I believe it's a legal requirement. I know my '88 Jamboree Rallye has them in both dinette benches as well as the rear couch. If you don't find belts attached to the floor structure it's possible a previous owner removed them. There should be obvious anchor points. If you have to add belts, that's where to attach them.

Ray

Ok I will check and see I no there are belts in front driver and passenger seat the couch and the captains chair behind passenger seat  thanks for the help

eaglestar said:
your rig should have belts for every seating position. I believe it's a legal requirement.

Ray

In California only the people in the "driver's compartment" are required to be belted while in motion.

you should check your state requirements, some states may be different.

the R/V seatbelt discussion debate gets a little heated here .

To me,  it's like wearing a life jacket on a cruise ship.... just because there is a possibility of being hit by a rogue wave.

TonyDtorch said:
In California only the people in the "driver's compartment" are required to be belted while in motion.

The same is true in NJ, but belts must still be available in other seating positions even though use is not required.

Ray

I was interested in putting seat belts in the dinette seats in our Winnebago 35ft Class A motorhome but after closer inspection I saw that the slide out drawers below the dinette seats would not make that possible. PLUS there is a little sticker on the wall saying something to the fact that "Passengers should not be seated in this area while the vehicle is in motion."  The only other place I could find belts was underneath the sofa.  There are 3 sets there and the previous owner obviously never used them as they were stuffed down below and covered with dust.  I had to resurrect them because we are carrying our granddaughter with us this summer and I know she will hate riding sidewards and belted in.  Too bad the forward facing recliner chair does not have belts attached to the vehicle frame.  The driver and copilots chairs do have belts of course.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom