Seattle at this time of the year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freds123

We are now at Gardiner, MT and was wondering if we should go on to Seattle, WA instead of going south already for the winter?  And would like to have some input on I-90 going into Seattle from here.  We are in a 38ft diesel motorhome and have been here in Yellowstone for over a week and it has been wonderful!!  We do want to go to Arizona for the winter, but thought since we were so close to Seattle, we would go there now and do our trip into California and down into Arizona for the winter.  Have not traveled these roads and do not know what to do.  Does anyone have any good ideas and thoughts about our plans.  Please let me know,  we thought we would take I-90 to Seattle and then down 5 in California. 

The interstates in and out of Seattle are a breeze, driving in the city is another story altogether. We just spent a few days at Lake Pleasant rv park in Bothell, a beautiful spot just off the 405 that caters to big rigs.
The weather is great now but remember that western Washington can be very wet. Anyone remember the scene on the docks in Sleepless in Seattle where the rain was pouring off the roof in sheets?

freds123,

We just came from Seattle 2 days ago.  The weather was fabulous.  The Seattle area has not had rain for nearly 2 months.  Interstate 90 is fine, as well as, Interstate 5.  Although Interstate 5 in California is a bit worn.

We found a very nice campground in the Seattle area.  It's called Lake Pleasant RV park in Bothell, WA.  If you do decide to come on down I5 through Oregon to California, there is a very nice campground in Salem, Oregon called Phoenix RV park.  It is excellent. 

At the moment we are along the Oregon Coast and are north of Newport, Oregon at Pacific Shores right on the beach front.

Have fun!

Marsha~

We are in Sequim (pronounced skwim) in the Dungeness Valley which is in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains and receives only 10 - 15 inches of rain per year. We will be here until the first week in October and the weather has been drop dead gorgeous. We will leave only because we have other commitments in the South in November and its a long pull back.

We will head down I-5 to near Portland and then on to Bend, OR and then south through Redding, CA as we leave. We have found I-5 to be heavily traveled from Salem, OR all the way up and especially interesting in Portland where there is a lot of construction. We have no intentions of using I-5 north of Olympia if we don't have to. Western Washington appears to compress a great deal of traffic onto just a few major arteries.

We are not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

We just came east on I-90 from just east of Seattle as far as Bozeman and it was a good ride.  Weather was great and we hada good trip.  Let me know if you need recommendations for the trip.  BTW, fuel is much more expensive once you leave MT.  WA diesel was as high as $4.50 a gallon and the same in OR and ID.  Gas was a little cheaper but I paid $3.999 at a Costco in Olympia.

The weather has been fantastic. I have spent the last 5 weeks working in Mt. Rainier National Park, doing some heavy road construction. It has been dry to a fault, we really need some moisture around here!
There is one blip of weather Sunday night into Monday, then it warms up again and several dry days to the end of next week.
Just an FYI, Stevens Canyon Road is closed for the season. We have signs everywhere but folks keep showing up thinking they can get through.
Freds, I would not pass on the opportunity to cross over Chinook Pass if you don't mind more of the beautiful views and mountain flowers you had at Yellowstone.
I-90 has none of that, but will save you an hour or so, depending on destination.

Thank you everyone for you comments.  I think we are going ahead and go into Seattle!!  It sounds like nice time to go.

Lot's to do here. Puyallup Fair is just starting it's run, (somewhere in the top 15 fairs for attendance in the nation). Seattle has a fairly new ferris wheel, and some other stuff. The little towns around the sound are worth a look. Poulsbo is a scandanavian theme, Port Townsend has a boat/water oriented theme, Gig Harbor is a little snooty, but cute, Tacoma has a new car museum, Anacortes is built around its boating industry with a nice marina. The ferry's across Puget Sound are fun to ride with your toad. The MH would be very expensive. Walking on in downtown Seattle and then to Bremerton or Winslow for a day trip would be fun. Even the big ferry from Seattle to Bremerton then the foot ferry to Pt. Orchard would be a nice day trip. See the USS Turner Joy in Bremerton. Take the tour boat from Seattle to Blake Island and enjoy an indian salmon bake.

I'm off to Reno tomorrow, there will be room for a few more people on the Sound, come see it.

Ken
Puyallup, WA

Are there any steep grades on I-90 to Seattle coming from Livingston, MT. or any other concerns to be aware of?  I really like the forum and the info all you guys give us on our travels.  Thank you a lot!

You'll climb the grade out of Ellensburg (elevation 1540) up and over Snoqualmie Pass (elevation 3022). Not a real steep grade but it is a mountain. Take your time and enjoy the scenery, it's nice this time of year. The grade on the west side is much steeper, take your time and go slow headed down.

Ken

Probably the steepest grade is Lookout pass between Idaho and Montana.  Just drag up it and ease your way down.  We live in the Seattle area and went to Yellowstone last year in our 34 ft DP pulling the CRV.  Not too bad.  Yea, fuel is expensive over here but it is a price we pay.  Other things to consider while in the area:  Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, Olympic Nat Park especially Hurricane Ridge, lots of cute little towns, Pike St Market in downtown Seattle, Museum of Flight at Boeing Field, tour of the Boeing Everett plant where they make all the twin aisle airplanes (767/747/777/787).  Then ease your way south via the Oregon Coast instead of I5.  Slower, yes but the payoff is scenery, my favorite place in the west coast.  There is also the Pacific Science Center and Experience Music project at the Seattle Center, the Space Needle.  Lots to see and do if you park the RV and get in your toad.

freds123 said:
Are there any steep grades on I-90 to Seattle coming from Livingston, MT. or any other concerns to be aware of?  I really like the forum and the info all you guys give us on our travels.  Thank you a lot!

From Livingston, there is the Bozeman Pass about 1/2 way between the 2 cities.  Long steady climb for the most part and a short steep section going up and another going down.  Is should be no problem, just watch your speed going down.

There there is Pipestone pass between Whitehall and Butte.  It is a long climb going up and a relatively short steep section going down, again watch your speed.

Lookout pass has been describes but be aware that there is construction there and some long 1 lane sections.  Going down the ID side is steep, watch your speed.

Next is "4th of July" pass.  Not very steep but many relatively tight curves.

From "4th of July" pass there is only Snoqualmie and that has been described already.

There is free parking at Hougan at the 10,000 dollar bar, electricity-30 amp, a bit rustic but the price is right.  :)  There are several campgrounds in ID that look good but we have never stopped as it hasn't fit our schedule.  We usually get a late start from Belgrade so we stop in Missoula.  From there we usually turn south in Ritzville so seldom stop in WA.  Moses lake has a Passport America park that is nice and we have occasionally stopped there.

Have a great trip. :)

Back
Top Bottom