Second converter to blow in four months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piperbird

We have a 2014 cougar fifth wheeler and our second converter has failed in four months. It is being replaced under warranty. I am worried we have a major short in our system. The dealer says no. What could be causing this problem? Help as our warranty is running out.

What portion is failing?  It is quite possible you simply got two bad ones.  Or you might have a bad battery.  Take the battery out and have it load tested

There isn't much to a converter/charger and I agree it is more than a bit odd that two failed. It should have built in overload protection, so a short on the output side should not cause it to "blow". And a short on the input side would trip the breaker that feeds it.  What about the input AC voltage (from shore power)? The converter is one of the first things to fail if you plug into a high voltage source (anything above about 130v). A surge protector/power monitor might be a wise investment for you. Something like this: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm

Thank you for the quick responses. The dealership has no idea why they are blowing. New one being installed now.

The dealership has no idea why they are blowing.

Why am I not surprised? Most dealer shops are long on parts swapping and short on diagnosis. And in your case, the warranty is probably paying for the parts but would balk at getting a bill for several hours of diagnostic time.

Make sure the new one is in regular use, even if just plugged in while in storage. You need to see if it fails again before your warranty expires and leaves you holding the bag. My bet is that it will.

By the way, what brand of converter? RV manufacturers tend to use whatever is the cheapest available, and that seldom bodes well if there are problems surrounding it. Some possibilities are lack of adequate ventilation, close proximity to batteries that may be out-gassing, or a 120v power source that is only marginally in-spec.

I think I would like a little more info on the failing convertor.  What part of the convertor is failing?  Total output, lights, battery charging...etc.  Also, when the second one failed were you at the same campground?  Do you have a surge protector in line?  Not sure if someone else might ask other questions but that is it for me.  Ed

My converter is a WFCO power converter with distribution panel model WF-8955PEC. Hope this info cam help solve our problem. Thanks.

I think it shorts out but still works. When I run certain lights or bathroom fan our tv becomes totally pixalized. The dealer says it is the converter box causing the tv to act up.

I think WFCO makes junky components, but they don't cause tv pixelation or kill themselves in a few months. It seems likely that something in the RV is miswired, perhaps a ground feedback problem.

Some inexpensive brands of fans are very noisy (in the electrical sense), as are fluorescent lights, and both can cause pixelation in digital tvs. Sometimes a power line filter is sufficient to fix the problem - here are a couple:

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-TV-Power-Line-Filter/dp/B001YSFZ1Q

Ferrite filter

Your bathroom fan is likely a PM type DC motor (even if the field winding is an electro magnet) this means it has brushes and makes sparks, sparks are RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) Television is a form of radio so that could be the cause there.. There are cures starting with soldering a set of 2 or 3 disc ceramic capacitors (.1, .01 and .001 uF should do it) across the fan motor terminals.

Lights: a good old fashion 1141 type lamp with a nice hot wire,  Kind of clean RF wise.. Modern LED's not so much and 12 volt florescent likewise no so much, Both of those can generate RFI as well... I know one of my Florescent lights takes out my ham radio rather nicely.

It will, eventually, become LED, which are easier to filter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom