Secondary Transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Wheelin

Greetings, is anyone aware of optional secondary transmissions for super C motorhomes?  This is a Kodiak C5500 chassis with an 8.1 litre gas motor.  It has an Alison transmission, but not sure of the model.  GVWR is ~22K lbs.

I contacted Gear Vendors in El Cajon CA. who puts over-underdrives in tow vehicles and hot rods, but does not have a solution for heavy trucks.

Essentially, I am interested in more torque for long grades and improved towing operation.  I assume this set up would not produce better fuel milage.

Might look around in truck wrecking yards to see if you can find a two speed rear end you could swap in.

hmmm, never thought to look at a 2-speed diff.  maybe I should check with some heavy truck service centers to see what my options are. 

Thanks for the idea!

The old Eaton 1302 was a sweet little two speed electric shift axle that could be shifted on the fly. I don't know if they even make those anymore.  Or you could try to find an old brownie box (truck auxilliary transmission). The two speeds are rare but some of the three speeds (over, direct, under) aren't too huge.

I don't quite know what your trying to do. If you just want to turn more RPMs don't use the overdrives. Seems like a lot of $ for lower gears(higher revs).

Well I was hoping to make better use of the engines power.  I would like to have better use of the engines power up grades especially when towing a vehicle behind.  I was also hoping to help down hill braking.  Last but not least, fuel mileage...and assume that is a by product of more efficient gear selection.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom