Securing dining area chairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkperez

Our new 5th wheel has a dining area slideout, in which are the free-standing chairs and table.  The table is screwed down, but the chairs are just sitting there.

Do y'all with this setup secure your chairs when traveling?  If so, how?

Ours has a loose, webbed strap that goes around the canter column of the table, then around the chair backs.  It sort-of works, but its clumsy, not very secure, and is a bother to attach. 

So, what GOOD methods have people found for keeping the chairs in position, and from banging each other, the table, the walls the window, or anything else?

Mine are free standing and haven't ever moved while traveling. I guess I never even thought about strapping them down.

In our Horizon we use a velcro strap around one chair leg to the leg on the table and the same for the other chair. Easy to get to on the outside legs, the velcro strap doesn't scratch and quick to remove. It doesn't completely stop them from moving but does pretty good. Ours came this way but you can buy the straps from home depot.

Odds are that they don't even need to be secured. Our dinette chairs in our old rig had "wheels" on them. We used to tip them over when traveling so they didn't migrate. Then one day we forgot to tip 'em over and took off. After about 300 miles we stopped for the night and when we opened the door discovered that we had forgotten about the chairs. They were exactly where they had been left that morning.

Have your significant other go for a ride back in the camper for about twenty or thirty miles and see what they do. I would imagine that they'll be fine without being secured. Also by having somebody ride back there you'll find out what DOES need attention. For instance, I no longer store my cast iron skillet in the oven when moving. Keep in mind that passengers in the camper are prohibited in most states if it's a bumper tow but not if it's a 5th wheel.  Communication between driver and passenger IS required, i.e. radio or cell phone.

Our Montana 3750FL, with the slide-out dinnett, came with the straps to secure the four chairs. We have never used the straps and have never had the chairs move while en-route since the RV was new

I doubt that you will have any problem securing the chairs.

Do y'all with this setup secure your chairs when traveling?  If so, how?

Our chairs are on tile floors and they do indeed move, especially during a sudden stop or swerve.  Monaco provided very nice straps of matching cloth fabric that has Velcro for securing them.  We wrap one piece around the right leg of one chair and the left leg of the other facing chair.  We place the straps at the top of the legs and make them fit snugly hooking with the Velcro.  I like them because the fabric doesn't mar the wooden chair legs.  They occasionally slide left or right a little bit on sharp turns, but not as much as they would alone because of the double weight and size.

ArdraF

Attachments

• Chair-1.JPG
    Chair-1.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Chair-2.JPG
    Chair-2.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 47
We were using bungee cords threaded through the chair backs but that velcro strap deal looks like the hot ticket to me. Wonder where one could get velcro that wide?

Sewing stores like Joann's Fabrics have wide Velcro without the sticky backing for such purposes.

ArdraF

Open Range provides a strap for you to secure all four chairs together after you have stacked them by 2'sand in fronr of each other. Works well.

ArdraF said:
Sewing stores like Joann's Fabrics have wide Velcro without the sticky backing for such purposes.

ArdraF

Herself says: "What a great idea!" She will pick some up at Joann's. We thought about sticking a piece of foam in the middle to keep the wood legs from rubbing each other.

We have never strapped ours down and never had one jump around.  Ours are at the rear also, where they would be more prone to be bounced about, but we've never had an issue with them.

On our old trailer the chairs migrated all over the place.  We had them attached with a bungee. 

On the new one they don't seem to be as inclined to wander, but I'd still prefer to attach them.  And the loose webbed strap isn't real efficient.

I think I'll see about setting up something with velcro...

Although we usually don't tie ours down, found bendable 'sticks' that are like these:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/nite-ize-6-gear-tie.html

that I fold around to hold in place.... works well as I usually try NOT to jump too many railroad tracks :)

Have I got GREAT NEWS REGARDING STRAPS ING DOWN YOUR dinetted chairs. NO MORE STRAPS, BUNGY CORDS, FOAM or any other way of strapping down your chairs. I never strapped my chairs either. Expensive mistake!! Was in pretty heavy traffic and the care in front of me slammed it's breaks causing me to slam mine. Chairs flew forward into my 42" TV smashing it. Chair must have bounced off tv causing it to slam into my fireplace which cracked the front. Dealer wouldn't cover warranty bc they said we were instructed to use straps to tie the chairs together  ( which we weren't told) so we had to pay out of pocket 1700.00 to have everything fixed. We started strapping the chairs which was a pain in the behind getting the straps connected to the rings screwed into the floor. We are at the Tampa RV show and decided to look for an easier way to secure our dinette chairs. We came across a company called Mor Ryde which I'm sure you're all familiar with. Anyway, they have this little gadget called "THE CHAIR" buddy. It looks like a T. It attaches to the table leg and the T part flips down on both chair bottoms. When you reach your destination, you just flip it up and it disappears under the table!!! Takes 3 seconds to secure your chairs. The set was about 80.00 and while you might think that's expensive, it's not as expensive as replacing all the damage because we had to suddenly STOP. Google Mor Ryde chair buddy and there's a 30 second video stationed inside the moving camper showing the chairs with no type of straps holding the chairs in place. I now know why the flying chairs did so much damage when I slammed the breaks!! The same video shows the same senario with the chairs secured with THE Chair BUDDY. The chairs DIDN'T MOVE!!! There were several loose items in the camper that went flying forward when they slammed the breaks but the dinette chairs didn't move!! I bought 3 sets since my kids also have campers. I STRONGLY suggest going to Mor Rydes website, type in chair buddy, read the information and watch the video. Mor Ryde was selling them at the show but Camping World sells them online. Go to Camping World website and search chair buddy and you van order them from Camping World. A dealer by the name of Makarios RV also sells them. I am so impressed with THE chair buddy. Watch the video on Mor Ryde website. For those of you that use nothing to secure your dinette chairs will think twice. Happy Camping!!

On my House on wheels, the dinnette chairs lock to the legs of the table when pushed fully under the table in the right manner, Takes about 1 second per chair.. NO straps, No rings in floor, just a notch in the table leg.. And less you know why it is there you won't notice it.. Lock is very firm,  Chairs have never gone flying (And even if they did when driving there is a wall in front of them, this wall moves when parked)

My husband installed small hooks in the floor and then has two ratchet straps that we use to secure the chairs and table.  He hooks them diagonally from the table to the floor and then tightens them.  Works great they barely move, but to be honest the ratchet straps kind of freak me out.  I usually ask him to use them.

I'm totally impressed with The Chair Buddy. No rings screwed to floor anymore. I always seemed to find those usually when I was barefoot. This thing is amazing. No hooking chairs and takes 1 second to flip down on chairs when heading out and 1 second to flip up when you reach your destination. I'll never own another camper with out them. The video is amazing.

Bungeed to the center post. Pillow case slipped over the backs so the don't rub wood to wood on the table....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom