Sedona, AZ to Kingman, AZ.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soaringeagle

We will be taking our 44' Class A with a toad from Sedona to Kingman next week. Considering taking either the I-17 & I-40 route or the I-17 , AZ 169, AZ 89a, AZ 89, I-40 route through Prescott Valley and Ash Fork. The latter route is slightly longer,  but I think it might avoid the long climb up to Flagstaff. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brent

The climb up I-17 isn't bad, much easier driving than the alternate described. When you get to Ash Fork on I-40, take old Rte 66 west thru Seligman. It'll hook back up to I-40 just outside Kingman. Beautiful ride.

BernieD said:
The climb up I-17 isn't bad, much easier driving than the alternate described. When you get to Ash Fork on I-40, take old Rte 66 west thru Seligman. It'll hook back up to I-40 just outside Kingman. Beautiful ride.

Good call.

We live in Camp Verde. We always go the SR169, 89A, 89 route to visit our son in Henderson, NV. You will save yourself about 2000 ft. in climbing. If you go this way, take the Fain Rd. bypass around Prescott.

SR169 (15 miles) is two lane but everything else is four lane (except for short sections) all the way to north Chino Valley. Then you have about 35 miles of two lane road to Ashfork.

The last time we drove this route was in Dec. and it was good road all the way.

If you are going to stay near Kingman - Blake Ranch just off I-40 before Kingman is a very nice park - large pull throughs for the MH and Toad...large nice, clean rest rooms...and a Dunkin Donuts just down the street.

Have fun and make a trip in the toad to Oatman - can't take the MH there - narrow road.

Jim

Wigpro said:
If you are going to stay near Kingman - Blake Ranch just off I-40 before Kingman is a very nice park - large pull throughs for the MH and Toad...large nice, clean rest rooms

X2. Just stayed at Blake Ranch on our way to Death Valley. Super easy in/out, close to highway but just far enough away that noise inside the rig was not an issue. Large/clean showers, propane. Excellent stopover spot.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
We live in Camp Verde. We always go the SR169, 89A, 89 route to visit our son in Henderson, NV. You will save yourself about 2000 ft. in climbing. If you go this way, take the Fain Rd. bypass around Prescott.

SR169 (15 miles) is two lane but everything else is four lane (except for short sections) all the way to north Chino Valley. Then you have about 35 miles of two lane road to Ashfork.

The last time we drove this route was in Dec. and it was good road all the way.

The only thing I would add to this is that there are some  frost heaves in the two lane section north of Chino Valley that may make you want to take it a bit easy through there, and may be some minor delays where they are building a new bridge over Hell's Canyon, but I believe they have the new girders in place now, so should not be a problem.
Definitely take the Fain road route to bypass Prescott Valley and Prescott proper.

Back
Top Bottom