Seeing without glasses: priceless!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi again Ned,

Not sure I had an option, don't remember having to choose one.  I always had good far vision, so that wasn't the problem.  My near sighted vision was, and astigmatism.  I understand he just sliced the eye somewhat to flatten it out, or whatever they do to fix the problem.  The whole procedure took about 45 minutes, most of that was for the administration of the anesthesia and waiting for it to take effect, and then waiting for it to wear off.  Fred said it only takes the doc about 45 seconds to do his job.....  :) 

Give us a call when you'll be coming in.  We're looking forward to it also.

Daisy

Daisy, then you didn't have the cataract surgery, probably Lasik or something similar.  Cataract surgery is removal of the cataracts and the entire lens from the eye and replacing it with a new lens.  It takes a bit longer, about 10-20 minutes :)  I was awake the whole time and it was almost pleasant.

We'll be leaving TX around Dec. 15 and headed your way.  If we don't see you before, we will see you at Catalina SP.  We'll being staying in Tucson at Mission View, as usual.  We'll be in touch.

As some of you know, I didn't have my right eye cataract surgery last spring as the cataracts weren't bad enough to warrant the procedure.  This fall they were so this past Thursday I had the operation on my right eye.  I had a lens implant to correct the right eye to the same vision as the left and now the images on my computer monitor are nice and sharp :)  The astigmatism wasn't quite large enough to justify the Toric lens so we saved over $1000 by getting a standard implant.  Medicare won't pay for a Toric lens as I had put in the left eye.  I still will wear glasses for distant vision but close and intermediate viewing is done without them.

As before, the level of care at the Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Center in San Antonio was excellent.  If I ever need outpatient surgery again, that's where I would want it done.

Edit: Correct atrocious spelling

Congratulations Ned!  Ain't technology wonderful?

Just a note regarding the trade offs of near vs distance vision... at least when laser corrections are being made;  both Nancy and I opted for laser surgery about 5 years ago... she to eliminate the need for contacts she had worn all her life and me to eliminate readers and to correct distance vision which was beginning to degrade.  BUT, we didn't want to wear glasses at all so went with mono vision where one eye is adjusted for reading and the other for distance.

The brain is an incredible thing the way it quickly adjusts for which eye it has to "see" out of.  I had to get a special release when I got my Texas Class B but we've both been very happy with the approach we took.

Rick

Rick, monovision was discussed but I prefer to have good binocular vision for at least close and near vision.  I've worn glasses since I was 12 so it's not a big deal to keep wearing them now for outdoors.  At least I don't have bifocals any more :)

That is good news Ned.  After reading this your comment about keeping your eyes closed for the photo makes sense.

That's great Ned.  Good to see what the world REALLY looks like, isn't it.  ;D

Daisy

Daisy, it's good to see it with both eyes again.  Makes my new Kindle 3 look even better:)

Congratulations on seeing again.  It was wierd watching Pat struggle with one eye done and the other to be done.  She has sympathy for your longer ordeal.

Pat is finishing the second week in the recovery from her second surgery and is seeing well too.  I'm a long ways off from surgery but will know more Monday evening after my next check up.

jim and di said:
Just a reminder of how precious vision is.

Yes, it is.  It's amazing how much they can do today to correct vision problems compared to 50 (or even 20) years ago.

Jim G, If you ever do need the implants, it's a piece of cake.  Just find a surgeon that does lots of procedures.  I'm glad to hear Pat's was successful too.  We can recuperate in tandem :)

Great to hear such positive statements on todays Eye surgery.  Will be terrified if any thing starts going 'south' on my good eye. ( Broke rt eye beyond repair in car acc.1976).  Don't realize what you miss in binocular vision until it's gone.                Kate

Thanks, everyone, for the good wishes.  While no surgery is risk free, this procedure seems to be about as safe as any and the results are immediately noticeable.

So when do we get to see the new picture of you without glasses? ;D  I am one of the minority that must wear glasses; no contacts work for me and there is no surgery available for my vision problem.  I am sooooo jealous!

Ned said:
Daisy, it's good to see it with both eyes again.  Makes my new Kindle 3 look even better:)

Hay Ned, now that you can see how do you like the Kindle 3?  Did you get the 3G/Wifi or just wifi?  When did you get it?  Do you agree with my thumbs up rating?

Jennifer

I look about the same without the glasses, so just use your imagination :)  Sorry there is no procedure to correct your vision, but I understand.

Jennifer, I just got it yesterday but so far I really like it.  I got the WiFi only model as I didn't think the 3G was worth the extra $50 when we have a satellite internet connection always available when parked.  I like the new, stiffer, page turn buttons and the 5 way pad is much better than the old scroll wheel.  The higher contrast is also a big plus.  I agree with your thumbs up.

Back
Top Bottom