SeilerBird uses a real camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom and Margi said:
While you are beating up on Tom Seiler for stating his opinion and preferences, it might be good to remember that this is a recreational forum whose members take recreational photos to remember their recreational experiences.  I don't think it matters to most of us whether these experiences are recorded by a flip phone, a cell phone camera or a fancy professional grade camera.  Now that he's stated his case, and you've stated yours, can we just get on with it?

Who's beating up on Tom Seiler?  Differing opinions aren't welcome?  wow..............

AngryBert said:
Who's beating up on Tom Seiler?  Differing opinions aren't welcome?  wow..............

What part of  "I don't think it matters to most of us whether these experiences are recorded by a flip phone, a cell phone camera or a fancy professional grade camera." did you not get? 

That's my differing opinion. My opinion is welcome here, as is yours, as is anyone else's opinion.  Sorry we don't agree with you on your opinions.  So, do we need to?  I don't think so.

Tom and Margi said:
What part of  "I don't think it matters to most of us whether these experiences are recorded by a flip phone, a cell phone camera or a fancy professional grade camera." did you not get? 

That's my differing opinion. My opinion is welcome here, as is yours, as is anyone else's opinion.  Sorry we don't agree with you on your opinions.  So, do we need to?  I don't think so.

We?  Who is we?

"While you are beating up on Tom Seiler for stating his opinion and preferences"

Your words man.  No one is beating on anyone except you.

My favorite camera was a Sony Cybershot. I used it until I could not get the upgrades anymore. It had phenomenal zoom. These two pictures are a good example. the white dot inside the circle of the first picture are the seals in the second picture zoomed in.

Attachments

• seals distance.jpg
    seals distance.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 17
  • seals close up.jpg
    seals close up.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 20
I tried using my Canon underwater and it died  :(

8Muddypaws said:
I tried using mine under water but I couldn't get the fuse lit.

Hi 8Muddypaws,

You have to use water proof fuse. Then one of those darn over and over advertised lighters that light anywhere. Does your's weigh 3,000 like my cannon?

I also think we lost Seilerbird somewhere in all of this.

[quote author=camperAL]I also think we lost Seilerbird somewhere in all of this.[/quote]

He's busy learning Stairway To Heaven on the ukulele, as am I.

Living in California it's almost impossible to get waterproof fuse.  I would have to pay a 30% tax, get a WPF certificate ($250 & 36 hours of training on how to light it) and submit to having my house searched any time day or night for the next 6 generations in my family.

I'm firmly in the 'Use a real camera' camp.

Right now I only have my iPhone camera. It does take excellent photos. The draw back is it doesn?t do macro or zoom, both of which capabilities I would like to have. Before digital came along I had 35mm slr but never made the jump to dslr. I have been wanting to purchase a new ew camera for awhile. Although I can?t afford anything like a 5d4. I?ve gone back and forth between a dslr and a Panasonic lumix type camera. When I was in Ajo I actually ordered a Canon dslr and zoom lens from Amazon. I guess since it was a fairly large $ amount order it was flagged and I received an email from Amazon that my account had been hacked and a fraudulent  order had been placed. The order was canceled and my account disabled for 24 hours. After the 24 hrs I had to reactivate my account. All my shipping addresses and payment info was deleted. So I never did get my camera. And I?m back to debating which one I should order. For my usage the drawback to a dslr is the weight as I do a lot of hiking. That?s why I have considered the Lumix. The Canon I tried to order was the Rebel T7i.

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions suggestions on a camera selection?

Debra17 said:
Right now I only have my iPhone camera. It does take excellent photos. The draw back is it doesn?t do macro or zoom, both of which capabilities I would like to have. Before digital came along I had 35mm slr but never made the jump to dslr. I have been wanting to purchase a new ew camera for awhile. Although I can?t afford anything like a 5d4. I?ve gone back and forth between a dslr and a Panasonic lumix type camera. When I was in Ajo I actually ordered a Canon dslr and zoom lens from Amazon. I guess since it was a fairly large $ amount order it was flagged and I received an email from Amazon that my account had been hacked and a fraudulent  order had been placed. The order was canceled and my account disabled for 24 hours. After the 24 hrs I had to reactivate my account. All my shipping addresses and payment info was deleted. So I never did get my camera. And I?m back to debating which one I should order. For my usage the drawback to a dslr is the weight as I do a lot of hiking. That?s why I have considered the Lumix. The Canon I tried to order was the Rebel T7i.

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions suggestions on a camera selection?

Budget?

Debra,

If you're used to using a cellphone I would recommend a Canon M3 or M5 mirrorless SLR.  I have an M3 that I bought from Canon as a refurb.  It was hundreds less than new and has worked perfectly for over a year.  It has the same imaging system as the 7i and makes excellent images.  24.2 Megapixels.  It has the capability of focusing like a cellphone does.  Touch the screen where you want it to focus and it locks on that even if you recompose your image.  Face detection and all that junk included.  The only drawback is that it does not use the standard Canon DSLR lenses.  There is an adapter but it doesn't work very well.  There is also a viewfinder you can add.  It works well with any Canon compatable speedlight.

My son uses an Olympus mirrorless and gets excellent images.  It has a viewfinder.

Rumor is that Nikon is close to releasing a mirrorless but I'm not a big Nikon fan.

I just saw Canon T6i at Costco with 2 lenses for less than $600.  24.2 Megapixel also.

8Muddypaws said:
Debra,

If you're used to using a cellphone I would recommend a Canon M3 or M5 mirrorless SLR.  I have an M3 that I bought from Canon as a refurb.  It was hundreds less than new and has worked perfectly for over a year.  It has the same imaging system as the 7i and makes excellent images.  24.2 Megapixels.  It has the capability of focusing like a cellphone does.  Touch the screen where you want it to focus and it locks on that even if you recompose your image.  Face detection and all that junk included.  The only drawback is that it does not use the standard Canon DSLR lenses.  There is an adapter but it doesn't work very well.  There is also a viewfinder you can add.  It works well with any Canon compatable speedlight.

My son uses an Olympus mirrorless and gets excellent images.  It has a viewfinder.

Rumor is that Nikon is close to releasing a mirrorless but I'm not a big Nikon fan.

I just saw Canon T6i at Costco with 2 lenses for less than $600.  24.2 Megapixel also.

Thank you for these suggestions, I?ll take a look at them.

I love my Sony mirrorless A6300 for about that same price, but for a bit more there other newer Sony versions. 

Back
Top Bottom