Self install Kingdome dish on Access 31WP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arne

I am considering purchasing and installing a King Dome 5500 for my Access 31WP.  The location of the Winnebago-provided cables are clearly marked on the roof, so that should not be a problem.  My concern has to do with how to fasten the dome to the roof.  Can I simply screw the unit to the roof?  What kind of screws and sealants should I use? 

The King-dome manual says to consult the motorhome manufacturer's instructions.  I cannot  find these.  Help from an experienced person would be appreciated.

Arne

You can screw to the roof with stainless steel sheet metal screws. Use butyl tape under the dome and where ever you put a screw and finish up with Dicor self leveling caulk over everything.

I have had both King Dome and Winegard and wouldn't go with the King Dome again.

That is valuable information.  Can you tell me why?
arne

Arne - I went through four King Domes before I threw in the towel and went with the Winegard Traveller HD dish.  I found the King Dome to be unreliable, it won't do High Def, and due to the small antenna and the dome, it's very sensitive to moisture and if you are in the northern latitudes, the signal issues are even more exacerbated due to the low look angle to the satellite.

As far as installing it or something similar, John had good advice.  Either butyl tape under the feet or Dicor caulk under the feet will work fine, Dicor caulk should completely cover the feet and screws out to the roof half an inch or so around the tabs.  I would use #12 - 3/4" stainless steel pan head sheet metal screws.  Basically the caulk or butyl tape will be doing the majority of the mechanical connection to the roof.

Thanks.  That is very helpful.  What attracted me to the King Dome was the fact that it does not need a separate power supply.  Not sure where to capture the 12 Volt supply and where to place the on/off switch,

John is right about the size of of screw #12 x 3/4". I like the butyl tape and it acts as both an adhesive and self sealing gasket for the screws. I found the King Dome sensitive for the reasons John stated and support poor.

I've got a Kingdome scheduled for replacement with a Travel'r when I get to the "storage bldg." Location. Piece of #??%.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom