Setting up an equalizer WD hitch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SpencerPJ said:
I agree, hook the bars up and see.  It also looks like the water inlet, tank is at the rear, and a couple hundred pounds of water will change the dynamics.  After messing back and forth, if I had to ultimately settle for the front of trailer to be a tad high or a tad low, I would take a tad low.

City water hookup is at the rear. Fresh tank fill is up front. So you guys think, drop the ball down one notch and add bars the bars and see where we are, or leave it as pictured  in the first pic and drop the bars a notch??? so much to learn.

As for Chevy vs ford. Already tried to pull it with a Chevy, and it just screamed and blew all over the place ?

Where the ball is in the 2nd picture and add the bars. If it lift the trailer to high lower the brackets by 1 notch. Your goal is to level the trailer 1st and try and keep the truck's normal stance.

With your truck you are very close...Now your just fine tuning the setup.

Gizmo100 said:
Where the ball is in the 2nd picture and add the bars. If it lift the trailer to high lower the brackets by 1 notch. Your goal is to level the trailer 1st and try and keep the truck's normal stance.

With your truck you are very close...Now your just fine tuning the setup.

Roger that. I need to hook up and go for a test drive and make some changes. We are coming next weekend. Its only an hour away, but id like to have it dialed by then =)
:)

SpencerPJ said:
X2 what Gizmo100 said  :))

So should I still be concerned about the fact that my current front wheel gap measurements, with the bars installed is back to the unloaded height vs being 1/2 way back to the unloaded measurement as the manual states?

scale obsession said:
So should I still be concerned about the fact that my current front wheel gap measurements, with the bars installed is back to the unloaded height vs being 1/2 way back to the unloaded measurement as the manual states?

Not sure what you mean by "being 1/2 way back to the unloaded measurement"

But if your truck is sitting just like it was unloaded and the trailer is sitting level then you are perfect.

Remember your truck is designed to carry a lot more weight. And that's a good thing. That just means you can load lots of stuff in the back of the truck.

Are we talking centimeters or millimeters? 
You have a very capable truck for that trailer.  It really doesn't matter if it's exactly back to unloaded.  What you will like the best for ultra nice towing experience is a level trailer, after loaded and all hooked up. For me, (a different hitch, a Reese) I can achieve a very level trailer.  If I remember correctly, you had a 1/2 ton truck prior.  When you went to install this shank on your new 3/4 ton, did you change the tilt on the shank?  If not, you probably need to.  You should have started off like you were all new, setting up height, then tilt. Is that what you did?  I am just perplexed because I feel that you should pretty easily be able to get a level trailer, and the wdh bars should not be very tight (nothing like they were with the 1/2 ton) because I just can't see that stout truck sag much when your trailer is connected.

Hang in there, you'll get it perfect and won't ever have to mess with it again. 

Didn?t change tilt. It was set at the 5 or 6 washers that equilizer suggested to start with.

It?s rained all day, so I didn?t mess w the hitch any. Just tinkered with RC cars and watched movies in the rockwood , in the driveway ha ha. I will get updated pics as soon as I get to hook up

Gizmo100 said:
Not sure what you mean by "being 1/2 way back to the unloaded measurement"

But if your truck is sitting just like it was unloaded and the trailer is sitting level then you are perfect.

Remember your truck is designed to carry a lot more weight. And that's a good thing. That just means you can load lots of stuff in the back of the truck.

the owners manual, it says this:

1.    Park the loaded vehicle, without the trailer, on a level surface.
2.    Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender. This is H1.
3.    Attach the loaded trailer to your vehicle without the weight-distributing bars connected.
4.    Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender a second time. This is H2.
5.    Install and adjust the tension in the weight-distributing bars so that the height of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender is approximately halfway between H1 and H2.
6.    Check that the trailer is level or slightly nose down toward your vehicle. If not, adjust the ball height accordingly and repeat Steps 2-6.

I?m back at the H1 measurement vs being between h1 and h2 currently. I?m not perfectly level. The trailer is an inch higher in the nose. Granted once we load more gear into the bed and trailer, it may come down that inch.

I say load and take it for a ride. I agree when you load the bed and the trailer that inch will drop to level. Keep in mind to balance your load in all areas front to back and side to side.

Finally had a chance to tinker. Tonight, I dropped the torson bar brackets one notch as originally suggested. I will hook up tonight and see how things look/pull. Ive watched the equalizer install video multiple times and read the instructions in the manual. It talks about the spacers for the angle of the hitch head. It mentions 5 spacers being a good starting point, and nothing more is ever mentioned. How does one know if they need to add or remove spacers?

Edit* I found a video on the washers. Got that figured out now. I will report back on the changes with the L brackets.

I'm not home....So I'm doing this by memory.

The idea of the washers is to get the trailer ball level while unloaded.

Here we are loaded to head out this weekend. Couldn?t be happier with the setup

Attachments

• 485A5DF8-7C02-4CCE-8845-A94D366AF99C.jpeg
    485A5DF8-7C02-4CCE-8845-A94D366AF99C.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 15
Have a great time, you deserve a good relaxing weekend.  Looks level to me in that picture, I bet it pulled great. Really nice set-up.  :))

I dropped the WD bars one notch and she pulls really nice. The truck has a trailer sway setting, and I had to turn it off. It feels very strange. Feels much smoother with the setting shut down.

Back
Top Bottom