Shell starts to close gas stations.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they have about 20 gas pumps, no EV charge stations,
Hopefully, that is because there are other charge stations within a mile or so from there.

But sometimes it seems to me that the charging companies like to ignore the most needed locations. Not that I can blame them, the EV charging business is tough if they don't have them being used most of the day. So they are mostly where there are the most people to use them.

-Don- Reno, NV

Hopefully, that is because there are other charge stations within a mile or so from there.

But sometimes it seems to me that the charging companies like to ignore the most needed locations. Not that I can blame them, the EV charging business is tough if they don't have them being used most of the day. So they are mostly where there are the most people to use them.

-Don- Reno, NV
The closest EV charging station to that new Rocket is 7 miles away in a different town.
When my cousin and her husband came down for Mom's funeral she said the map in her Tesla showed that and she was dismayed.
The only EV's I've seen in the city are scooters and bicycles for rent on street-corners. I'ts surprising since it's a large college community. Then again, the city is controlled by the college and the administration has built many walking paths, bicycle lanes, and designed intersections purposefully to make driving a vehicle difficult in the city. The expense of this to the taxpayers is astounding.
It's that Vision Zero idea that originated in Sweden.
The other view of Vision Zero.

The closest EV charging station to that new Rocket is 7 miles away in a different town.
When my cousin and her husband came down for Mom's funeral she said the map in her Tesla showed that and she was dismayed.
The only EV's I've seen in the city are scooters and bicycles for rent on street-corners. I'ts surprising since it's a large college community. Then again, the city is controlled by the college and the administration has built many walking paths, bicycle lanes, and designed intersections purposefully to make driving a vehicle difficult in the city. The expense of this to the taxpayers is astounding.
It's that Vision Zero idea that originated in Sweden.
The other view of Vision Zero.
The other view of vision zero is a brilliant example of investigative journalism. The concept for reducing traffic related fatalities isn't working because old people keep crashing their cars into crowded bus stops.
What kind of lunatic came up with the idea that fewer people would be killed by cars on downtown streets if there aren't any cars downtown?

What kind of lunatic came up with the idea that fewer people would be killed by cars on downtown streets if there aren't any cars downtown?
Or eliminating people downtown instead? That's the typical result of reducing vehicle access to stores & restaurants. Folks ooh & ah over pedestrian malls and vote to spend $$ on bike paths & such, but after a visit or two the vast majority go where they can drive their car close to the target place. The automobile is just too deeply embedded in American psyche.

Or eliminating people downtown instead? That's the typical result of reducing vehicle access to stores & restaurants. Folks ooh & ah over pedestrian malls and vote to spend $$ on bike paths & such, but after a visit or two the vast majority go where they can drive their car close to the target place. The automobile is just too deeply embedded in American psyche.
That’s not even the case, I have relatives in NYC that don’t own a car and never have and they manage perfectly well. Otherwise I think we can walk and chew gum, it’s not either or. You can drive, just not here. I’m pretty sure cars will survive.

If you want an eye opening experience go for a drive in a tesla equipped with FSD 12.3.1 or later. It’s definitely a game changer as far as autonomous driving and accident avoidance in cities goes. The highway stack hasn’t changed much but the city stack is amazing. It’s a little timid on left turns at stop lights and may get the odd honk from impatient drivers behind, but in my opinion it’s probably safer than most human drivers on the road.

It’s rare we need to intervene now and when we do it’s usually just a light tap on the go pedal to avoid an impatient honk. We don’t have the latest update (which I think is 12.3.2.1 which I think came out a couple days ago) but 12.3.1 which came out a couple weeks ago is definitely an eye opener. The days are not far away where those who age out of their drivers licence will still be able to keep their car and get around. Until then I keep this sign on our car.

Jmho.

IMG_7195.jpeg

If you want an eye opening experience go for a drive in a tesla equipped with FSD 12.3.1 or later. It’s definitely a game changer as far as autonomous driving and accident avoidance in cities goes. The highway stack hasn’t changed much but the city stack is amazing. It’s a little timid on left turns at stop lights and may get the odd honk from impatient drivers behind, but in my opinion it’s probably safer than most human drivers on the road.

It’s rare we need to intervene now and when we do it’s usually just to avoid an impatient honk. We don’t have the latest update (which I think is 12.3.2.1 which I think came out a couple days ago) but 12.3.1 which came out a couple weeks ago is definitely an eye opener. The days are not far away where those who age out of their drivers licence will still be able to keep their car and get around. Until then I keep this sign on our car.

Jmho.

View attachment 172069
I was listening to one of the Silicon Valley tech ladies on NPR a while back, she said she preferred a self driving taxi, it's much safer. We were watching the planes land at DFW the other day and my friend who is a pilot said the pilot is really just sitting there monitoring the planes systems, the planes land themselves.
I can testify that my Outback's emergency braking system stopped me from backing into a guy in a parking lot recently, I never saw him, until the car slammed the brakes and I got out.

I was listening to one of the Silicon Valley tech ladies on NPR a while back, she said she preferred a self driving taxi, it's much safer. We were watching the planes land at DFW the other day and my friend who is a pilot said the pilot is really just sitting there monitoring the planes systems, the planes land themselves.
I can testify that my Outback's emergency braking system stopped me from backing into a guy in a parking lot recently, I never saw him, until the car slammed the brakes and I got out.
Yep. Automation is definitely improving safety.

It will be interesting to see how the AI eventually handles hand signals. At this point (or at least on my present version) it doesn’t know how to deal with flag people directing traffic in construction zones so I have to take over.

The other situation that popped up was a lady at a 4 way stop signalling me to go first. The car ignored here, eventually got tired of waiting for her and went, but it was comical as she started to roll a bit and my car interpreted that as her wanting to go. It was a funny stand off. If Jarvis (my cars name) knew how to read hand signals it would have gone better. 😳

Last edited:
Yep. Automation is definitely improving safety.

It will be interesting to see how the AI eventually handles hand signals. At this point (or at least on my present version) it doesn’t know how to deal with flag people directing traffic in construction zones so I have to take over.

The other situation that popped up was a lady at a 4 way stop signalling me to go first. The car ignored here, eventually got tired of waiting for her and went, but it was comical as she started to roll a bit and my car interpreted that as her wanting to go. It was a funny stand off. If Jarvis (my cars name) knew who to read hand signals it would have gone better. 😳
A funny thing I heard a guy say about AI was this: If you gave it the command to solve world hunger, after doing the math and applying Occam's Razor, the solution could be kill half the people on the planet. The AI solution to climate change could be just as entertaining.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom